Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

January Challenge

Go down 
+4
Sofie
judyfilarecki
Janet
Callie
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 2:39 am

Happy New Year Everyone!

Let's loosen up and have some fun to start off the year. For this challenge we're going to look to the Post-Impressionists for inspiration.
From Wikipedia:
Post-Impressionists extended Impressionism while rejecting its limitations: they continued using vivid colours, thick application of paint, distinctive brush strokes, and real-life subject matter, but they were more inclined to emphasize geometric forms, to distort form for expressive effect, and to use unnatural or arbitrary colour.

To read more about Post-Impressionism and other art movements of the time (the Fauvists and Cubists for example), the rest of the article (with images) is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-Impressionism

And here is a sampling of artwork from the Post-Imp. era -
Clockwise: Cezanne, Serusier, Matisse, another Matisse,
Gaugin, Signac and Bernard:
January Challenge Post-i10

So, here's your challenge - Start with one of the photos below and create your own Post-Impressionist style painting. You may do just one, or more than one, or all of them!
Some ideas: Forget perspective and use colors to give a sense of foreground/background; Or don't worry about accurate color - see the Matisse portrait above; Maybe concentrate on lines and shapes - as in the Serusier above; Use a palette knife and thick slabs of paint; Or try a little Pointilism - see Signac above. The point is to try something different from your usual style... loosen up and experiment! The photograph is just your starting place - see how far you can take your painting - Don't be a slave to the photo.

Post your paintings in this thread, and please share your work-in-progress. Include some info; size, support and description of your technique/method.

See the next post for the photo references......

Last edited by Callie on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 3:15 am

January Challenge Tajiki11
Tajikistan Woman by Steve Evans on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/babasteve/1594066020/sizes/o/

January Challenge Ginger11
Ginger by Steve Evans on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/babasteve/518527225/sizes/o/

January Challenge Red-fl12
Red Flowers by Jonicdao on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonicdao/2767742910/sizes/o/

January Challenge Apples11
Apples by Macinate on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/macinate/2042796139/sizes/l/

January Challenge Boise-11
Jon Sullivan/PD Photo - http://www.pdphoto.org/PictureDetail.php?mat=&pg=5163

Last edited by Callie on Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 9:48 am

cheers Great challange Callie! Thank you! I'm off to study the portrait and the Post-Impressionism paintings to get some ideas. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 12:40 pm

I bet you do all of these before I even finish one! January Challenge Icon_lol
Get creative and have some fun with it, this is the time to experiment and try something new.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 3:18 pm

Great Challenge Callie.

I've never used a palette knife so this might be a good time to try. Of course, I'm partial to cats and landscapes so I'll see what i can do with those.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 4:50 pm

Callie, lol! I guess you know my marathon painting ways.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 5:20 pm

I went and found a panel and sketched something out right away when I saw you had already checked in here January Challenge Icon_lol -I'm not getting left behind!
I think I'm going to try to do my first painting alla-prima - no fussing with layers/glazes, so maybe I'll do more than one this time.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 7:58 pm

I'm thinking of doing the lily pond, but don't be surprised if i use my own reference photo - I've got a few good ones of lily ponds. Hope that's ok.
Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn

Location Location : Uniontown Mo

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 8:11 pm

What a wonderful challenge, I am thinking about the portrait its been years since I did any and then it was mostly with pencil but then again the cat would be fun.... oh the decisions....
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 10:00 pm

So Who's going to be first Janet or Callie orrrrrr will someone else sneak in ahead of them? Not me, I can assure you, but I'll get there.

Judy January Challenge Lol
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 1:00 am

Callie is ahead so far I haven't even sketched anything yet. I'll need get to work at my painting tomorrow. Stupid swatches keep diverting my attention. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 5:10 pm

January Challenge 19075_237282305994_535710994_3733565_7657903_n

This is the lily pond photo I'll be using. Next step is to find a canvas. I've only got a 20x20 sq canvas left, but I don't want to wait two weeks till I get back from my trip to Calgary, and my art supply shopping spree. I do have an 11x14 painting due to go down the drain, so I could prep that canvas for this painting and make it my first for 2010, besides my mini daily paintings, of course.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 5:55 pm

Sofie , just as long as you stick to the theme of the challenge, the photo should be OK, especially since we're not going to be concerned with copying so much as putting our own "post-impressionist" spin on the subjects.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 6:08 pm

I'm finished the portrait. Canvas Paper 9X12. Sorry I'm a wee bit rusty. Smile

January Challenge 4242425184_2c7c035f4f_o
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Hey Sofie,

How about you share the other painting in Down The Drain before you cover it up for this one.

You've made me curious and I'm others, also.

Judy

OOp's I see Janet gets the prize for the first one...Only kidding lol!
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 6:18 pm

Janet!!! January Challenge Icon_cheers
Did you take your inspiration from Cezanne? Love the "chunky" paint, and her expression, too.

Guess I better quit experimenting with mine and get some paint on it!
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 6:53 pm

Judy, lol! I really wasn't expecting to be first this month. It felt great to paint again. It has been a while. Smile

Callie, Thank you! I kinda reminds of Cezanne just he has better variation in color. One of the things I have to work on. Smile

I really liked working on the canvas paper and I think I'll be sticking to that for a while. It certainly doesn't take up as much room as canvas.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 7:18 pm

What's there to be sorry about Janet? Your painting is beautiful. I love the expression you've caught in the girl's face.

Good idea, Judy. Wink
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 8:33 pm

Congrats Janet. I love the impressionistic feel.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 6:06 am

January Challenge 19075_238046800994_535710994_3740864_6224298_s

I lightly sanded the painting, then wiped it with a damp cloth. This canvas was nice and toothy and I didn't want to lose that. I've done a magenta wash for my underpainting. The original shows through a bit, but that won't bother me. Hopefully I'll have time to start on the lily pond tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 8:15 am

Thank you Sofie and Dale! Smile

Sofie, I'm looking forward to seeing your next update! That's an interesting color to start with. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 4:26 pm

Here's my first go at this - 11 x 14 in. on gesso-board:

January Challenge Apples12

January Challenge Apples13

I like the way a lot of Cezanne's subjects have dark outlines, so used that,
then emphasized the lines from the cardboard box and carton under the apples then went a little overboard with the color.
I might try this one again but with a different background/foreground.

Sofie - can't wait to see how the magenta works under your painting!
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Callie, I love it! You really captured the Cezanne look and I think you improved on his style. Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 8:08 pm

Callie,
Interesting approach. I'm still trying to figure what to do but I'll get there.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Callie - I like your use of design and colour!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

January Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge Empty

Back to top Go down

January Challenge
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next