January Challenge

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Thanks everyone.

I put it into photoshop and made the blue darker/less contrast, and I think it looks better, so I might mess with this a little bit more.
So much for alla-prima!
Back to top Go down
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:50 am

Callie, I remember my art teacher telling me that Alla Prima is the most difficult way to work. I think he was scolding me for working Alla Prima and being so new to painting. It took some time but I'm making less and less mud. Your painting has no mud... the colors are vibrant and beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing your changes. Smile

Off to sketch the cat. I'll be trying to paint every second day except weekends and days that I get called out of town for work.

Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:52 am

Sounds like a good plan, Janet.
Whichever one I do next, I'm going to try to do alla-prima. It's good practice for the plein air painting, and it's fun just to do something different.
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:33 pm

This one is a perfect candidate for Down the Drain! 8X11 on Black Gessoed Canvas Paper. I tried to keep it loose but just made a big mess. Those are some really thick whiskers. I have big problems with painting thin lines. You guys are the only ones I'm sharing this one with. Smile

Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:21 pm

It doesn't have to be an exact copy - It's more about experimenting with color, lines, shapes, patterns... get creative with it, play a little....
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:45 pm

Callie thank you for the reminder! I did play with this one. My husband steped back about 20 feet from it and said it looks good from here.

Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Good for him!
Back to top Go down
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:45 pm

at least he didn't go into the other room and say it, like my son would have done. Wink

I think you can still play with the colours and style and get that post impressionistic feel. Smile

Painting the skinny lines is hard - i couldn't have made the whiskers come out any better.
Back to top Go down
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:47 pm

I drew the picture on with watercolour pencil, but I could barely see it, and it didn't show up in the photo at all, so then I just went for it and sketched it in with paint.

I didn't use a flash, but there's a bit of glare from the light. The yellow on the lily pads doesn't show up as much as it does in reality. I'll try for a better shot tomorrow. Anyway, I think you can still see how the magenta shows through in places and how the paint is sort of splotched on.
Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:05 pm

Can't wait to see a better shot of this, Sofie. I like the effect the magenta under-painting gives it. I hope you'll post a larger pic so we can see it better!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:06 pm

Sofie,
The lilies look great. I wish the picture was a little bigger so we could see more of it.

Here is my cat. I photo shopped the original using fresco and went from there. I have to tell you, I have never done a painting in one hour before so this was a good experience.

I got some Holbeins today so I used them for the burnt sienna and raw sienna. I had a cobalt blue Open Acrylics that I mixed for the darker brown. I didn't have any white or payne's grey in either of those, so I use artisan white and grumbacher payne's grey. I mixed DUO lemon yellow and OA cobalt blue for the eyes. I had no problems mixing any of them, but I don't know if I would be so brave on a big painting. The feel of the blends were great and things adhered very well to the black gesso background.

Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:34 pm

Very dramatic on that black background - makes the cat "glow". Nice color in the eyes. Was it fun to do something quick and loose?
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:47 pm

Thanks Callie,

It glows a little more than the original because of photo shop. I did tone it down a bit before I posted it. It was scary and actually I am surprised at my self. Terry, the new member lives not to far from me so we are planning some plein air painting when she gets back from her trip in a few weeks. This should help and give me time to practice being loose.

Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:48 am

I like the colour of the eyes too. Looks like you had fun painting fast and loose - it's a great exercise. Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:16 am

Sofie, I couldn't find a post-impressionistic animal but I thought the cezanne portrait was fairly realistic color with chunky strokes so that's what I was going for. I'll try to use bolder color on the next one and play with more saturated colors. Looks like the magenta worked really well. I'm looking forward to seeing a beter pic. Smile

Judy, 1 hour wow that is quick. Your cat looks very expressive. Thank you for sharing your test with mixing the WSOs with Golden Open. Smile

judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:51 am

Thanks Sofie and Janet,

I was just looking at it before writing this and the old Judy was sneaking in. There are no whiskers on the left side of the face, but they weren't really visible, in the picture, only in my eyes. I guess I have a ways to go...
judy

Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:23 pm

I'd like to do the flowers next and would like some suggestions on how to play with it. I'm not that creative so I'm stumped. I've never painted flowers in WSOs so just like animals, landscapes and still lifes I'm not real comfortable with the subject which I think makes it more difficult for me to change it in a way that would be considered post-impressionism.

judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:03 pm

I cheated with the cat by altering the original photo in photoshop like Callie demonstrated previously because I'm not creative enough eeither to alter something like the challenge is suggesting. Thast is what I'm going to try to do with the landscape. Judy

Back to top Go down
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:19 pm

It wasn't raining this morning so I was able to take a picture out of doors. the pinks are a bit pinker in real life than they show up here.

Judy and Janet - you are both very creative. The good thing about challenges like this is that it pushes you out of your familiar zone. That can be scary, but it also gets those creative juices flowing.
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Sofie, Wow! The colors are absolutely beautiful! I love it! So glad you were able to give us a better picture because the previous one did not do it justice. I agree that the challenge pushes you out of your familiar zone and I enjoy that. I'll do my best to do that for the next one with color.

Judy, I altered the cat too but it didn't really do anything to the color. I tried upping the saturation and it just wipes out all the shadowed areas I don't know maybe that's the point. Gee I'm bad at this sort of thing. I haven't checked out the filter in the Corel photopaint yet. I'll give that a try. I have Adobe Photoshop on my laptop but not on my desktop computer so I don't use it much. Thank you for your help!

judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:16 pm

I used the artistic fresco in Photoshop.. that helped me not focus on so much detail. I'm try to find something like Chantel demonstrated in the Last Callenge, but so far I haven't found what I'm looking for the landscape.
Judy

Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:45 pm

Sofie - that is wonderful - well done!
That's the way to do it, just use the photo as a starting point.
Janet - I chose that still-life for a reason ; mainly because I thought it was kind of boring as is, also, because it would be real fussy to paint it realistically.
So challenge yourself to find something canvas-worthy in there! You can crop it, change the colors, focus on just a few flowers/stems.... Use your artistic license.

I like the "filtered" cat, Judy.
I hope to get started on another one of these tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:18 am

Judy, that looks like a great filter. I found a few candidates in Corel photopaint. Smile

Callie, thanks for the advice! Tomorrow is a painting day and I'll do my best to push the color. I'm actually going to try to do all of the references this month. Smile

Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:35 am

Go Janet!
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:02 pm

Thank you Callie for the cheer! Smile

Finished the flowers. Tried to just go with more random then following the photo exactly. Went with more splotchy rather then defninite forms and tried to keep the colors saturated. It's definately different and a lot of fun. 8.5 X 11.5 on canvas paper.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   

Back to top Go down

January Challenge
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next