Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

March Challenge

Go down 
+2
Janet
Callie
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 12:41 am

This month's challenge was inspired by a discussion about Vermeer in one of the other forum threads.

Welcome to "Northern Light" - the theme for March's Challenge.
We'll start by having a look at a selection of Vermeer paintings, then take a look at a few other examples from the Dutch "Golden Age" of painting. Pay attention to the cool northern light in the landscapes, village scenes, and Vermeer's interiors.

March Challenge Vermee10
These are all works by Vermeer.
Use this link to see the full size, high quality versions:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Johannes_Vermeer

(scroll down to the thumbnails)

Also have a look here to read about the Golden Age of Dutch Painting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Golden_Age_painting

As you scroll down, notice the different types of paintings - paying attention to the quality of light, the big, billowing clouds in the landscapes/seascapes, the details in the still life works, the scenes of everyday life.

Here's your challenge - All you have to do is paint like a Dutch Master March Challenge Icon_biggrin
For this challenge, you can either copy an old masterwork, or use your own references (still life arrangement, model, photos...) to create your own masterpiece. For instance; you could do your own version of Vermeer's "Girl with a Pearl Earring" - or you could do someone else's portrait in the same style and color palette. If you have the space in front of a north facing window you could set up a floral arrangement or still life grouping. Whether painting in layers/glazes or using a more direct or alla-prima method, the challenge is to capture the colors and atmosphere of these old Dutch works.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 1:07 am

Here's another resource for Vermeer info:

http://www.essentialvermeer.com/

You'll find (among other things) descriptions of his palette and painting techniques. On this same site, there's also a gallery of Dutch Master Painters; just click a name to see a sample of the artist's work and bio:

http://www.essentialvermeer.com/dutch-painters/vosmaer_b.html

March Challenge Van_ostade
Get at it! March Challenge Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 8:34 am

cheers Callie this is a great challenge! Thank you! I've always wanted to take a stab at Girl with a Pearl Earring. I'll get started ASAP. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 9:19 am

I like this. I may try to work on a painting - same time as Dorys and Fundy Trail. Too bad I have to work for a living.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 11:22 am

Dang Work - always gets in the way!
I hope you find time to start another painting this month, Dale. I'd love to see what you come up with for this! March Challenge Icon_biggrin
Janet!!! Do it!!! (can you tell I really want to see you do that painting?) March Challenge Icon_sunny

For anyone else who might be interested in this Challenge - Please jump right in! If you're new to painting, don't worry about it - all skill levels welcome! And copying old master paintings is a great way to learn and/or try new techniques.

March Challenge Icon_exclaim Please remember to give a little info with your paintings: size and support, and which artist/painting inspired you - either a thumbnail pic or a link to the painting would be good.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 8:28 am

March Challenge Icon_lol Callie, work has been crazy but I should be able to get to it on Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Sometimes I don't know until the last minute whether I have special assignments for work. Those days are open now but that could change. I'll do my best. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 1:52 pm

It's OK Janet - there's still a few days left in March! March Challenge Lol
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 pm

That's quite an interesting challenge. I like the idea of doing a portrait from my own picture in the style of the girl with the pearl earring - don't know if I'll have the time, though. I've got 4-5 paintings to do in the next two weeks to take with me to Australia for my show there. But as you said, challenges can be done during other months, so I might still get to give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:44 pm

Great Sofie! Of course you need to take care of your show stuff firstMarch Challenge 802333
I hope it goes very well for you!

I'll be looking forward to seeing your "Vermeer" whenever you get around to it!
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 8:13 am

Sofie, I hope everything goes well at the show. Good luck! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 8:57 pm

Thanks Callie and Janet. It was the first day today - lots of wonderful comments. Now I just need customers. Wink
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 12:51 pm

Made a start - 11 x 14 inches, stretched canvas.
The original is Rembrandt's "Girl at a Window".

March Challenge Girl_a10

I sketched her with raw umber and unbleached titanium (Golden Open acrylics) yesterday, then went over it with olive and viridian greens today.

March Challenge Girl-110

I think Rembrandt must of used a male model when he painted this - her arms, especially her right arm/hand are quite large. So I've made the arms, hands and shoulders smaller. I'm going to try to get this looking similar in colors and atmosphere to Vermeer's girl with the pearl earring. I guess I like a challenge! March Challenge Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 8:50 pm

Beautiful start. She looks much more engaging than the original Wink
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 11:08 am

Usually, when copying one of these old masterworks, I don't worry too much about making it look exactly like the original. Sometimes I come close March Challenge Icon_lol and that's good enough for me.

The acrylic paint soaked up most of the green I put on there yesterday - so it's good these Duo Aquas are supposed to be OK to mix with other paints!
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 2:32 pm

Wow Callie. Looking wonderful
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 7:40 pm

Looking good. I agree those arms you drew look much more feminine than the ones on the original.
I've used the Duo and opens together and they worked well together.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 10:06 pm

Callie your painting is looking great! Thank you for sharing your process! I agree about when copying a painting and coming close. I remember reading a textbook for a University course in fine arts and copying a master painting is not about making an exact copy but more about walking away from the experience with greater knowledge of the artist and his/her technique. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Got some painting in today:

March Challenge Girl-210
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 8:14 am

Wow Callie! Your painting is looking fantastic! cheers
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 10:08 am

Thanks, Janet March Challenge Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 11:47 am

She's looking beautiful and very peaceful.
Judy
Back to top Go down
KayZahn

KayZahn

Location Location : Tempe and Greer Az

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 10:37 am

Hi - I am not participating in this challenge, but I saw Janet mention it elsewhere. I just love looking at the fabulous work found here.

I have a photo that I think EVERYONE would enjoy seeing. The subject is the Girl with Pearl Earring. The photograph is framed and on MiMi (my mother in law's) bedroom dresser and she's sleeping right now. But if it's ok, later I'll go get it, scan and upload it. It's a photo that landed my sister in law in some hot water a number of years ago, but the photo is real. . . . . Can I post something like that here? It's not a naughty photo, or anything like that. But I don't want to post a photo where it isn't supposed to be.

Kay
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 12:12 pm

Well, I'm intrigued. Just start a thread in the Talk About Art and Painting section and post it up!
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 3:46 pm

Callie - your painting is coming along wonderfully. Any more updates?
Back to top Go down
KayZahn

KayZahn

Location Location : Tempe and Greer Az

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: The Girl with a pearl with The Girl with a Pearl Earring   March Challenge EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 6:07 pm

Callie wrote:
Well, I'm intrigued. Just start a thread in the Talk About Art and Painting section and post it up!

I posted my photo, but I think it's in General Chat. If I did it in the wrong place feel free to move it. It is subject titled

A PHOTO TAKEN AT The HAGUE
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

March Challenge Empty
PostSubject: Re: March Challenge   March Challenge Empty

Back to top Go down

March Challenge
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next