Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dorys - Great photo - where to start

Go down 
+7
kopo
Callie
Dawn
Janet
Sofie
judyfilarecki
Dale
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 8:19 pm

maybe it looks different in real life, but the yellow doesn't seem to bright to me at all. With all the browns and greys and muted blues it adds a nice splash of colour.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 10:31 pm

I like the yellow of the second dory. I looked back at the original photo and noticed that the third one also was yellow.

I think the way you have the third one grayed down works much better than the original which was tending to pull the eye away from the first, more detailed one you want to focus on.

Looking good.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 8:53 am

I think you might be able to make a figure work in your painting. I just played around a bit to see what it would look like. I hope you don't mind. The head is chopped off a bit and their might be a better placement.

Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 Fodggk

The credit for the photo of the person is JoelDeluxe from Flickr

Here's the photo of the person if you want to use it as a starting point if you add a person.

Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 204mt
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 11:43 am

If the person's intensity was closer to the subdued boats in the background, it might work, but as it is here, it draws my eye away from the main dory. I realize that this was just a sample, though.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 4:13 pm

I agree with both of you. My eye does get pulled directly to that figure, but it may work if they were subdued. And I love that everyone wants to help.

Virtual hug here Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 Icon_cheers

ps. Do I need to include the beer bottle? chuckle
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 4:55 pm

Adlib!! Maybe she pulled afish out of the water by hand. Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 Lol Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Just an explanation of the photo she's actually cleaning the beach. Picking up garbage. I prefer wine myself but I think it might be a good idea to leave it out. lol! I was actually hoping to find a fisherman in one of those yellow raincoats but I had no luck. Maybe if one of the figures is wearing something that echoes the color of the yellow boat it would add to the color harmony of the painting.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 10:36 pm

I will have to wait until next week to work on this. I would like the figure to be very indistinct.
Back to top Go down
acadianartist

Location Location : Just outside Fredericton, New Brunswick

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 6:35 pm

Wow, this is beautiful! Love those dorys! I've painted quite of few of those yellow dories myself. That was a tough angle but you pulled it off expertly! Personally, I don't think it needs a figure. To me, it reads quiet and peaceful, the sort of place you'd go to think and be by yourself.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Thanks. I loved working on this one - fun to do the details.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Dory's - working on details, avoiding basics   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 10:14 pm

[img]https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 Dorys_12[/img]OK. I love the details. Ropes, rocks, water, wood. But I know I have to actually work on the other two dorys. They are like housework and cooking to me.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 10:35 pm

Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 Icon_cheers Keep going - this is a winner!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 11:31 pm

It keeps getting better and better. Good luck with the two other dory's.
judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 1:10 am

housework and cooking! Smile The boat you have done is just great!
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 4:49 am

The main boat and the jetty are a complete painting in themselves. Wonderful detail and they tell a story.
Very Happy
Jack
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 9:25 am

cheers Wow! Everywhere I look something interesting to explore! I agree with Callie definitely a winner. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 2:56 pm

Thanks. Now, I just need to explore those darn other dorys. I should have known they would be trouble. They have no character compared to the first.
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 3:23 pm

is your painting on stretched canvas or or canvas board?
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Dory's is on gallery wrapped stretch canvas - with the thick sides. I am not sure of the name for that format
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 6:08 am

[img]https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/works-in-progress-f7/Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 Img_0410[/img]
Here is ons step further - I will post one later tonight
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 7:25 am

I can almost hear the water burbling against the boats. This is going to be brilliant.
Congrats
Jack bounce
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 7:29 am

Wow the definition is amazing. It's such a joy to watch the way your painting evolves. Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 10:05 am

It's looking good. I feel much better about the middle dory now with the detail which is just enough.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 2:56 pm

Excellent! Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Dorys - making some changes   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 8:46 pm

OK. Here is the latest. You will notice that i have scrapped the boats on the beach and added some old wharf pilings. I may add ina small boat on the beach and some rocks, but the red just wasn't working. At least I wasn't able to make it work. Love to know your thoughts.

[img]https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/works-in-progress-f7/Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 Dorys_14[/img]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dorys - Great photo - where to start
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next