Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dorys - Great photo - where to start

Go down 
+7
kopo
Callie
Dawn
Janet
Sofie
judyfilarecki
Dale
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Linus

Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Dory's   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 9:00 am

I think you should include three boats or leave out the boat on the right but then you will have to recompose but composition will make or break a painting and you have too much talent to waste time on a poorly composed piece. I still think the picture has great possibilities.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 12:14 pm

The third boat doesn't pull me out of the picture at all. You need it for the composition - without it the picture is much less interesting. I think emphasising your focal point and toning down the third boat will be all you need to do. No need for any major changes at all. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 12:36 pm

I think that once I put all the light reflections on the water behind the third dory, it won't stand out as much.

There is also a rope in the original photo that links the second and third dory together that I might be able to manipulate to assist somehow.

This sounds like a group project. I like that!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 1:57 pm

I think taking out the third dory out would make the two others feel overly centered. The fact that it is half off the canvas makes me feel that it is not important but needs to be there, and I concentrate on the two more detailed ones.

I reminds me of the difficult I mentioned in this month's challenge where I always feel the need to have a border around objects such as flowers. I'm actually going to let the flowers run off the canvas when I get a chance to do it.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 5:55 pm

Here are two pictures - The second i had corrected the drawing on the middle dory thanks to the excellent skills of my husband. I like color, not drawing.

Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 Img_0313

Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 Img_0314
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 6:06 pm

It is looking good. I live your water and reflections so far.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 10:51 pm

Nice work on the boats - and the foreground relections work very well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 8:19 am

Wow, your painting is looking great!
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 11:07 am

Feel free to give any advise on changes
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 3:03 pm

I keep returning to your post on 7 Feb. The whole emphasis was upon the first boat which is the focal point. But more important to me was how it looked almost like a Dutch old master painting. Also I wouldn't put too much detail on the landing stage.
Jack
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 3:56 pm

OOPS. Last night I worked on the dock and the large boat - in detail. I will post a photo later.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 6:17 pm

Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 Img_0315More work done on boat and dock.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 7:41 pm

Dale, Looking great! The form looks wonderful and the water looks great! The boat is looking fantastic! You have such a wonderful eye for detail which shows in that first boat on our left. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 9:23 pm

I worked on this for quite some time tonight and made some progress on the beach area and better reflections. I think I am subconciously avoiding the two other boats.
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 2:54 am

The progress is fantastic. The water is great you have captured the underwater stones etc., beautifully. I know I am still bucking the trend but I still would avoid the other two boats and would content myself with the reflections of the shore. Also, and I know this sounds revolutionary, if it is painted on panel rather than stretched canvas I would cut the panel to give a square or even a portrait dimension.
Best wishes
Jack
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 11:59 am

it's coming along very nicely! Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 1:23 pm

I love how you've done the water, really enjoying watching this come along Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 pm

I love how you have done the dock and large boat. I'm curious as to how you do the other two. They look great with minimal detail so they are not taking away from the main one, but obviously they do need a little more or they would look unfinished.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 10:47 pm

Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 14ncmtzLots of fun working on the detail work. i may drape a fishing net over the yellow boat just to cut the bright yellow
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 2:56 am

Progress is great. Take care though cos your moving from fact to fiction. Fishing net could provide you some difficulties, a tarpaulin might be more appropriate.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
cheerleader
Jack
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 9:02 am

Oh Wow your painting is looking fantastic! The yellow doesn't look too bright to me but that might be a matter of it not translating well in the photo. I know whichever way you decide to go it's going to be gorgeous. Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:06 am

Dale,

You continue to make this more and more life-like. It's beautiful.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 4:01 pm

I want to put in some figures (I know - fiction) and or/ some gulls. Any thoughts if I should or where?

I should sign everyone's name at the bottom - you have been such great contributors
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 4:07 pm

I think I'd skip the gulls and figures. I love the abandoned atmosphere of this.
If you really feel a need to add something else - maybe a scruffy mutt getting a drink at the water's edge.
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 7:03 pm

Careful about figures. The usual is to put a carrot figure doing nothing. Around boats people are always working. You have a good painting do take care. scared
Jack
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dorys - Great photo - where to start   Dorys - Great photo - where to start - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dorys - Great photo - where to start
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next