Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Study for Mom #2 with photo

Go down 
+2
Janet
Linus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Linus

Study for Mom #2 with photo Empty
PostSubject: Study for Mom #2 with photo   Study for Mom #2 with photo EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Here is what I am working on now. I like the drawing but I can't get the left shoulder right. On the painting I just finished I couldn't capture the youth and innocence I wanted. Mom was only about 22 then. In this one she was perhaps 24 or 25. The scarf covers the scars from a thyroid operation which was the root cause of her death at age 87. It's a long sad story. She suffered terribly the last twenty years of her life due to a mistake the surgeon made during the thyroid operation at age 23.

Study for Mom #2 with photo Mom__211undefined
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Study for Mom #2 with photo   Study for Mom #2 with photo EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:23 am

I'm very sorry to hear about what your mom went through and as a result you as well. It's a wonderful tribute to your mother to be painting a series of paintings of her. She was a very beautiful woman. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Study for Mom #2 with photo   Study for Mom #2 with photo EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 4:39 pm

Study for Mom #2 with photo Study_13This is the drawing for the photo above.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Study for Mom #2 with photo   Study for Mom #2 with photo EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Your sketch puts much more life into the eyes and smile than in the photo. I notice when I do portraits of people I love, there is always that secret expression that comes through that only those who know the person can see beyond the photograph. A photo is only a static representation of a person. The painter captures the real person behind the photo of a loved one. Nice work.

The left shoulder in the sketch is lower and wider than the right. Maybe that is where you are having the problem.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: Study for Mom #2 with photo   Study for Mom #2 with photo EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 9:36 pm

Your mother is beautiful - love your drawing, keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Study for Mom #2 with photo   Study for Mom #2 with photo EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 11:07 pm

Thank you all. If I could do the left shoulder as well as the right I would be satisfied. Guess I didn't take time enouh. Well, I will probably do it again one of these days. I wasn't quite satisfied with the whole. I see that the left eye isn't quite right either. And I didn't capture the youth and innocence which so characterized Mom at that age.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Study for Mom #2 with photo   Study for Mom #2 with photo EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 7:40 am

Beautiful sketch! Very good likeness!
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Study for Mom #2 with photo   Study for Mom #2 with photo EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 10:32 pm

Study for Mom #2 with photo Study_15 I've made some small changes to the drawing and I think it is a little better and comes closer to a likeness.
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: Study for Mom #2 with photo   Study for Mom #2 with photo EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 4:15 am

I hope you don't mind me saying, but your Mum reminds me of Judy Garland.
You have definitely caught a likeness, but I do hope you will complete the hair, it's important.
Best wishes
Jack
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Study for Mom #2 with photo   Study for Mom #2 with photo EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks Jack. Don't know how to do hair!! But I will try. I noticed that the technicalities involved in saving the images and transferring them, they got a little fatter. I think that is why she now resembles Judy Garland. I think we just dated ourselves Jack. Take care.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Study for Mom #2 with photo   Study for Mom #2 with photo EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 12:34 pm

Wonderful - you are catching the like ness. Try comparing the height of her ear on the left of the photo (her right ear) to where is lines up with her nose. It may be a bit high.

Boy if that aint getting picky Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Study for Mom #2 with photo   Study for Mom #2 with photo Empty

Back to top Go down

Study for Mom #2 with photo
Page 1 of 1