Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?

Go down 
+19
Robert P Hedden
TerryS
Dana C
Sholly59
watermixableguy
Crystal1
DAK723
susanms
kbaxterpackwood
Ed
brushoff
Donna Pierce-Clark
Sofie
Callie
dlspinks
dbclemons
judyfilarecki
Janet
Admin
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

W&N Artisans
What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Vote_lcap35%What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 35% [ 17 ]
Holbein Duo Aqua
What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Vote_lcap22%What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 22% [ 11 ]
Royal Talens H2Oils
What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Vote_lcap2%What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Royal Talens Cobra
What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Vote_lcap14%What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 14% [ 7 ]
Lukas Berlin
What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Vote_lcap14%What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 14% [ 7 ]
Grumbacher Max
What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Vote_lcap12%What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 12% [ 6 ]
Weber wOil
What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Vote_lcap0%What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 49

AuthorMessage
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 1:25 am

susanms: Don't buy a lot of Lukas Berlin right away if you don't like hues. Almost all of their colors are hues, it just isn't listed that way when they list their colors. I will try to get the address to you of the pigment lists for their original colors soon. Also, they are definitely a student grade, as they are the cheapest WMO you can find. They are kind of oily and have a sort of mayonaise texture. Actually, I like them myself, but a lot of people do not. I'll get the pigment list to you soon.

Dayle
Back to top Go down
susanms

Location Location : Boyertown, Pa.

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 5:35 am

Thank you, Crystal.

Jerry's did list the ones that are hues - 1/3 of the paints (10 out of 30) are.
At fist they weren't listed online as such and I asked them to please identify the hue colors, and (surprisingly) they did it within minutes!

Do you think that they have more hues that they don't identify?
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 1:09 pm

susanms: Here is Lukas Berlin's own site on their color pigments:
http://www.lukas.eu/WEB_GB/Broschueren/Leaflets/WERB2049_Berlin_GB_Internet.pdf

Many of the colors not listed as a hue have several pigments. I have their Alizarin Crimson (not listed as a hue), which contains PR176, PR101, and PBk11. I just like to know what I'm getting into before I buy them. I still like their WMOs and have made a list of colors that I would use, that have only 1 or 2 pigments--White, Primary(lemon) yellow, Cadmium Yellow Light, Magenta, Cadmium Red Light, Ultramarine Blue, and Primary(Phalo) blue. The price that you listed at Jerry's Artarama is their normal price. They are also available at ASW for the same price and ASW has a $6.95 shipping fee. I haven't bought a complete palette yet, because I am waiting to see if I prefer the new Cobra WMOs and whether I can afford them.

I have heard that the Lukas Berlin WMOs held up well to tests of full color pigment and color endurance. Good Luck!!

Dayle
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 1:45 pm

Slight off-topic here -
If you find colors that work for you, that do what you want went you mix them, don't worry so much about whether they're hues or single pigments. One of my favorite local artists here (professional, he makes his living painting) only uses student paints/hues in the big tubes. He sells a lot, teaches workshops... it's the results that matter. What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 1:50 pm

Thank you so very much! What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Icon_flower
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Lukas Berlin paints from Jerry's Artarama are all $3.29 and $9.19 for the big tubes. The sale price - at least yesterday is / was $2.99 and $7.99.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 4:04 pm

Thank you Callie for the information. I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying the Lukas Berlin colors, because I can better afford them. I have a lot of the Winsor Newton Artisans, but they don't work well for me. You've put my mind at rest.

Susanms: I just checked Jerry's Artarama and they show under Lukas Berlin colors, with Jerry's price in blue at $3.29 and to the right it says "Sale" in red at $2.99. Same with the larger tubes. That is the usual price at Jerry's for about the last year, except after Christmas or around Easter they were even cheaper. The only reason I mentioned ASW Express is that they have a shipping rate of $6.95 total for almost any order and Jerry's shipping price is more. Let me know if you get any of the colors that aren't on the pigment list--I wish they would update their list. I would still like to keep my pigments down to two per color, if I can. The more pigments you mix together the sooner you get mud. I'm particularly interested in their Indian yellow, as I like to have a transparent color in every primary, so that I can mix most any glaze color I want. Happy painting.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 7:11 am

I'm with Callie regarding the hues. I did buy all single pigments of the Holbein the last time I purchased paint and I really didn't see a difference between the hues and the single pigments.

Dayle, good point regarding keeping down to two pigments per color so you don't end up with mud.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 7:37 am

The Lukas Berlin sheet provided by Dayle has been posted to Color Theory and Mixing. Thank you Dayle! Smile

Not all the colors are listed on this sheet so if you happen to have a color that isn't listed if you can provide the color name and pigment code I'll add it manually. I'll check mine when I go to the camp this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 9:23 am

I didn't see their (Lukas) warm grey on the chart, I hope they still make that. I love their Indian yellow, since it is so soft, it's easy to glaze over other colors without adding any oils/mediums to it.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 12:51 pm

The chart is from the current Lukas site, but only shows the original 24 colors. Lukas hasn't updated the pigment chart since they added the new colors, so I'm sure they still carry the warm grey and indian yellow.
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 5:41 pm

Callie - I saw that Jerry's is out of that Indian Yellow right now, but I use Marigold from Holbein that I think is the same, and it's a soft glazing type paint. It's nice. It looks like your pumpkin's color! What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks for the suggestion, Susanms. I've been wanting to get a few more Duo Aqua colors (cadmiums) since they added to their line. I'll put Marigold on my list.
Is it possible to be a "paint hoarder"? Like people who have way too many cats or dogs... only with tubes of paint instead.What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 9:28 am

I'm turning into a "paint lady". What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 35531 Better that than the "cat lady" What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Icon_cat near-by! I CAN stand the smell of paint! What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Lol
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 2:30 pm

I think I'd fall in the category of hoarder. So many colors to choose from and once the Cobra become available... oh no.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 7:57 pm

I know, Janet... have to try out the new stuff even if I'm happy with what I have What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Icon_lol At least one doesn't have to feed and water them!

Just had a look at the Cobra color chart (Thanks, Janet!) and wandered over to the RT Cobra site. They have a starter set and a value pack set shown.

Cobra water mixable oil colours value pack
Content:105 Titanium white 40 ml283 Permanent yellow light
40 ml266 Permanent orange 40 ml315 Pyrrole red 40 ml577
Permanent red violet 40 ml504 Ultramarine 40 ml619 Permanent green
deep 40 ml411 Burnt sienna 40 ml227 Yellow ochre 40 ml701
Ivory black 40 ml
Only found one retailer offering these (in the UK), so no idea on US/Canadian pricing.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 9:07 am

The value pack sounds great Callie. I think that would even be better then just the primaries. Mmmm paint! If I really like them and they're readily available in my area I'll make the switch over gradually from Holbein to Cobra.
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 10:35 am

Cobra?? Please fill me in on these; I've never heard of them! Are they new? Are they proven? What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Icon_question
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 11:03 am

I am using Artisan WS paints exclusively. It was not a big decision, they are the only brand that I have been able to buy at Michael's (EXPENSIVE!) or the local or regional art supply stores.

We have one local art store in my area, and there is another, larger store located in a city that is about 2.5 hour drive. Same paint brands available in all shops.
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 11:07 am

Dear watermixableguy - please got to ASW (Art Supply Warehouse) for the best prices for supplies and most reasonable shipping prices that I personally have found. You'll be happy! What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 12:35 pm

Hi susanms, thanks for the note. I checked into it, and agree. Quite a price difference!
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 3:58 pm

Hi Susan! It's the Royal Talens Cobra Water Mixable Oils. Very new! Here's the thread that we have going regarding this brand of WSOs: https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/water-soluble-oils-f5/new-artist-grade-ws-oils-from-talens-t342.htm
Back to top Go down
Sholly59

PostSubject: 8 Years As a Water Soluble Oil Painter   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 12:39 am

I've been using water soluble oils for more than 8 years now, and I love them. Of course I understand the complaints that some artists have about them, but that seems more likely the result of using the wrong brand more than anything else. I've used them all and believe me, Holbein is the only manufacturer that has the right formula for water soluble oils. Firstly, Holbein makes only professional lines of paint, and their Duo Aqua Water Mixable Oils is no exception. This line of paints is identical to their regular oil paints except that at the very end of production, a surfactant agent is added that makes oil break down in water. The pigment concentrations are full professional level too, so they have a brilliant look to them.
Unfortunately, W&N Artisan brand is the one everyone finds in their local art supply stores, and Artisan is an AWFUL product. People trying Artisan as their first foray into the new oils are getting a poor impression of what they can do. I advise anyone wanting to try water soluble oils to take the time to search out Holbein's Duo Aqua product... it's simply the best on the market today.
Back to top Go down
Sholly59

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 12:40 am

I've used all the brands available today, but trial and error has made me a big fan of Holbein's Duo Aqua Oils. They are far superior to all others on the market today. They cost more, but they're worth every penny.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 12:37 pm

I think it's more a matter of what type of paint one prefers. I have some Duo Aqua paints which I rarely use - I just prefer my Awful Artisans! What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Icon_lol But I like stiffer paint, so the Artisan oils work well for me. Interesting to see why everyone likes/dislikes the various brands.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next