A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

W&N Artisans
35%
 35% [ 17 ]
Holbein Duo Aqua
22%
 22% [ 11 ]
Royal Talens H2Oils
2%
 2% [ 1 ]
Royal Talens Cobra
14%
 14% [ 7 ]
Lukas Berlin
14%
 14% [ 7 ]
Grumbacher Max
12%
 12% [ 6 ]
Weber wOil
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 49

AuthorMessage
susanms

Location Location : Boyertown, Pa.

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:59 pm

I say we start over with the survey. Besides, some people now might be using a different paint than they did when the survey first started. Whadda-ya say?
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:05 pm

Janet, the administrator, is out of town for the weekend, but she can probably fix it or start a new one. Check back early next week.
Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:43 pm

I just went back through the threads and I think I know what's going on - but not how to fix it . Seems that when Cobra got added to the poll, things shifted. This is what it was at:
Artisans 42% (12 votes)
Duo Aqua 35% (10 votes)
H2 Oil 0% (0 votes)
Berlin 7% (2 votes)
wOil 3% (1 votes)
Max 10% (3 votes)
Cobra (1 vote?)
28 votes before Cobra was added

Last edited by Callie on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:50 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Had wrong count on Berlin - fixed it.)
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:28 am

I had been interested in Lukas Berlin, and I'm sure they had more.
Back to top Go down
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:51 am

Sorry everyone about the poll for some reason when Cobra was added to the poll it shifted around. Tried removing Cobra to see if it would revert back to the right votes and it didn't so I just deleted it. No reason to keep a poll that is inaccurate. If you would like me to readd one please let me know. So sorry! Smile

Callie

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:06 am

Janet, I vote for putting a new poll up (with the previous votes included)
Back to top Go down
TerryS

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:52 am

I also vote for a new poll, from scratch, not including the old votes.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:34 pm

Yeah, I like the idea of starting over with a new poll. Some peoples favorites might have changed.

Dayle
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:32 pm

A new pole sounds good since there have been several new ones added.
Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:27 am

ok new poll it is but I can't add the previous votes because it's not possible. Sorry! Smile

Janet

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:32 am

Ok new poll has been added and remember if you use more then one brand you can choose more then one. Smile

susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:45 pm

Thank you for the new pole, Janet, and for this whole helpful site in support of WS oil paint users. Too bad we can't all get our gear together, meet in some accessible location, talk, and paint together, but it is nice to meet up on here.
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi Susan! You're welcome! That would be so much fun to meet and paint together but this certainly is the next best thing. Smile

Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:55 pm

I finally got some Holbein duo aquas! My friend was going to Vancouver so I sent a list in with her. I'd have rather gone and chosen to colours myself, but it's probably a good thing I didn't because I'd have spent way more money and I'm on a strict budget. I only let myself get tubes of series A - the cheapest colours. At 10.95 a tube, cheap isn't really the best word to describe them, though. Wink I got lemon yellow, vermilion, cobalt blue, cadmium green dark, and burnt sienna. I painted my first painting with them this week, with the addition of a few artisans. Love painting with them, and had no problems at all with mixing brands.
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:44 pm

Sofie, are you able to buy from Jerrysartarama or AWS? They are mail-order places, although I think that Jerry's has store locations. That's where I buy my Holbein Duo paint, and it's less expensive than anywhere else for me.
But, it's nice that you were able to get some and try it for yourself! Happy painting! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:26 pm

I don't think the shipping and duty fees would make it worth it, Susan, especially for the kind of small order I'd make. Besides, I prefer to buy Canadian and support our own economy. Wink
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:35 pm

Gotchya. artist
Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:11 pm

Sofie, Janet posted this link in the "Where to Buy..." thread:

http://www.wyndhamartsupplies.com/isapi/isapi.dll?browse&cat_id=20
Back to top Go down
Robert P Hedden

Location Location : Wellesley Island NY

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:01 pm

I use Lukas Berlin because of price and the 200ml size which I squeeze out into smaller tubes for plein air painting (lighten the load). I buy small tubes of W&N for one or two colors Lukas Berlin does not provide, e.g. phtalo green. I found that Jerrys carries some HUEs so I avoid buying from them unless white or a non HUE and ASW carries mostly non HUEs. I am surprised to see all the discussion on mediums and mixing the paint with water(other then for a grisaille) as I thought the idea behind water soluable oils was to be able to clean up with soap and water and avoid all the toxic cleaners and mediums. My reading says not to dilute them with water when painting. I like Kevin Macphearson's approach to painting with a limited palette, a red, blue and yellow. Double that for a warm and cool in each primary, add burnt seinna and you have all you need , other than white. Also I have read you can mix watersoluble and traditional oils if you dont minf having to use an oderlesss solvent for clean up.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the Forum. I'm a summer neighbor of yours about an hour up the road. The mediums talked about are mediums made by the WSO manufacturers for their paints which are also water-soluble. I prefer to use small amounts of walnut oil when not using the paint right out of the tube. It still cleans up easily with soap and water. Most of us wipe off the excess paint with paper towels and then use a little dish detergent, such as Dawn, for cleanup. We give the brushes a final cleaning with Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver.

I look forward to seeing some of your work. You've got a beautiful area for painting.

Judy

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:47 pm

Robert,

I just looked at your profile and would be interested in finding out more about your plein air group.

Judy

Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:22 pm

I bought a boxload of Artisan and Grumbacher's Max WS paint at an auction. I've never used Grumbacher's Max, and would like to know what your opinion is of this paint. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:41 am

Hi Susan,

I think that Max is considered to be artist grade paint (meaning that it has a higher level of pigments than the student grade paints). I have worked with some of their colors for a bit and found nothing objectionable.

As to the Artisan, if I remember correctly W&N indicates that the pigment load levels are higher than their student grade regular oils, but a bit lower than that of their artist grade regular oils. Among Artisan paints lemon yellow seems to be a particularly weak color. Even though it is much more expensive I have changed to Duo for that color because of its significantly higher pigment load. Many other Artisans have sufficient pigment loads for my needs.

The palette I am using now includes Artisan, Duo and Cobra paints. If there were Max colors that I needed and did not have in the other brands, I would not hesitate to use the Grumbacher.
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:38 pm

Thank you so much! These are the paints that I have. I appreciate your input, Jim!
Back to top Go down
new to oils

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:26 pm

Wow! Great information on here everybody!

I've been warned to store walnut in the fridge, have not yet bought it but thanks to Callie I now know it isn't a must!

So, is there any odour from the thinner? I also wondered if the colours in general have an odour to them in the Artisan line?

My local store sells only MAX and Artisan. Can anyone describe the difference in consistency if each, and their quality?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next