Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lake with clouds

Go down 
+7
kopo
Jim
watermixableguy
Sofie
Janet
judyfilarecki
Dale
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

Lake with clouds - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 9:13 pm

Your cat looks like a real sweetie!

I like the compositional changes you've made to this painting!
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 12:03 am

Dale,

PS who's the present for, which is next to the cat, and next to your picture...not to be too noise or anything!?!?!? We, all love presents or at least I do

Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 12:44 am

You now have an excellent painting. The eye is now drawn in to the peacefulness beyond. The reflections in the water are perfect.
Congratulations
Jack
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 3:46 pm

Oh - the box? It is empty. The Scot in me won't let me throw out anything that pretty.

Thanks Jack. I am eager to work on this and get it finished. Will post when done.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 7:34 pm

Here is what I worked on this weekend while at the cottage. There are none in the original photo, but i think i would like to add a couple of dead trees which are quite common in similar settings.

[img]Lake with clouds - Page 2 Lake_w11[/img]
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 8:24 pm

Dale.....WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE...REALLY LIKING THE CHANGES, Great job!
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks Dana. I am excited about some of the sky and foreground. I know what I want to do but not sure how to get there.
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 9:22 pm

Dale,

One of the things I learned about with Painting with the masters is value....in the distance it needs to be lighter in hue than up close. Not sure if that can help....I like the changes thus far
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 7:46 am

Thanks Dana.

I agree. I did bring up the value somewhat but last night decided it needed to be lightened a lot more to give that feeling of distance. we are going to squeeze all sorts of new stuff from you dana. Thanks for the feedback.
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 3:28 pm

It's really looking great Dale! Now the viewer is really drawn into the painting. And the colors all relate to each other.

Once in an art class a visiting cat jumped right square into my palette with all four feet. If yours does, put out a blank canvas and invite it to scratch and then take the canvas to a modern art gallery. Betcha it becomes the "new discovery of the century".
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 8:38 am

I am so excited with my art classes. The teacher who is somewhat familiar with my art noted an issue I have. I am afraid of the light and I work within a very limited range of values and intensities. Just call me the muddy vampire.
I was very reluctant to accept this until I tried brightening my sky on this painting. Then when I compared it to another painting it was so much more alive and realistic.
So hopefully you will change a shift (for the better)

I will put in the reflections again and continue to adjust the rest of the painting.

[img]Lake with clouds - Page 2 Lake_w12[/img]

Here is the old version
[img]Lake with clouds - Page 2 Lake_w13[/img]
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 1:02 pm

I think I like the new version best. Strange how is looks so much colder in the new painting.
I like it a lot though.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 3:19 pm

I am now confused. It may be my monitor. But there is a harshness about the latest version. There is a softness and gentleness about the previous.
With the real painting in front of you only you can decide.
Jack
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 4:37 pm

No Kopo. You are right. And I just spent the last four hours working on it and a lot of the harshness is being taken out. You know how sometimes you have to break something in order to remake it properly? I dun broke it good. cyclops
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 6:14 pm

I had the same reaction as Jack did. I hope you can fix it to bring out light you want and the softness that made it so beautiful before.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 6:18 pm

I worked on this a few more hours and yes, I am working on softening the harshness. I wish my monitor did the changes justice - I am pleased with the sky and still working on the other parts.

I just started adding some of the dead trees from another photo reference.

Love your input

[img]Lake with clouds - Page 2 Lake_w14[/img]
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 6:25 pm

I like the new addition of the trees on the right. They add to the feeling of depth and also feels like it adds more balance. The sky and reflections are coming along nicely with the addition of the(redder, browner ????) tones. I'm note sure what color to call it, but it does look nice, especially in the reflections.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Krista Hasson

Krista Hasson

Location Location : New Brunswick

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 7:12 pm

Looking great Dale, the dead trees are going to be a great addition and I like the pattern of the clouds much better now, they really add to the composition and movement in the painting. Can't wait to see it, make sure you bring it on Tues Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 7:18 pm

Thanks for the comments.

OK. So I have changed this even more and will post later tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed that I made the right decisions
Back to top Go down
Krista Hasson

Krista Hasson

Location Location : New Brunswick

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 7:23 pm

Let me know when you post it Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 8:57 pm

Ok more changes. I really didn't like the foliage on the bottom left. I may put a few branches there or fit a dead half tree there. Not sure yet.
[img]Lake with clouds - Page 2 Lake_o10[/img]
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Dale,

How wonderful....growth is good - sometimes it's challenging, along with being a little frustrating. Lets face it, growth can be just plain exasperatingl.....but we mustn’t give up....

.....IT WILL BE FUN! I am looking forward to seeing more from you and this painting but I am not sure if my monitor is off, the colors/values seem the same and so close in hues also to me? Before I could see the depth and light in your painting – not sure if it is just the photo you took of your painting….well anyway I am excited for you and looking forward to seeing more.

I have always wondered how to take the pictures to view on the screen so they look as good as in real life or at least close to it?

Thank you for sharing – keep us posted and don't give up.
Lake with clouds - Page 2 Artist10
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 11:10 am

I'm sad that you have decided to put DEAD trees in. I love trees. They give so much pleasure.
Jack
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 10:31 am

OK. I have sort of refinished this painting and it is hanging in the local public library

[img]Lake with clouds - Page 2 Harvey10[/img]
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 11:23 am

The sky now really gives a feeling of great distance. The dead trees do stop my eyes from following the cloud line out of the picture and dead trees seem very natural to the environment you have painted. And your reflections relate to the sky super well. What a journey you have made with this painting! It definitely gives a feeling of place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lake with clouds
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next