HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Big Horn Clouds

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Big Horn Clouds   Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:21 pm

This one is going v-e-r-y slowly, but it finally is at a stage where I really enjoy working on it.   The source photo I am using is actually parts of four photos taped together.   The clouds were hanging right over the mountain and I was using a DX format camera with a 24-70mm lens at 24mm and couldn't get them all in one frame.   If I had been using an FX format (old 35mm format) camera, I wouldn't have had to cut-and-tape and that would have meant using fewer sheets of photo paper.   This is a good example of what I mentioned on the Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:41 am post under http://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/t678-dslr-cameras-for-reference-photos

The reference photo set shows a couple of things to be aware of in taking/printing photos.   First, at altitude at least my digital cameras are more responsive to ultra-violet light then my eyes are (similar to Kodachrome film for those that remember that far back Smile).   This results in a "blackening" of the sky.   I had a "skylight" filter on it, but this high up (above 8,000 feet) the UV was more than it could correct.  

The second point is that the automatic exposures were different in the land versus sky photos.   They could have been made with the same settings, but I was interested in getting the best definition for both.   You can see the remnants of very much lighter sky above the ground photo segments.   This all can be taken care of with Photoshop and time.   But it also can be taken care of with that special license issued to all of us artists Laughing.

If I had used an FX camera for this scene, I would have needed only one photo, but I probably would have made two prints; one Photoshopped for the best foreground color/values and the other for the sky.

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Big Horn Clouds   Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:12 pm

You always paint the most magnificent clouds. They are absolutely beautiful both in your picture and painting. Looking forward to watching your progress.

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down

Big Horn Clouds
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1