Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lake with clouds

Go down 
+7
kopo
Jim
watermixableguy
Sofie
Janet
judyfilarecki
Dale
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Lake with clouds - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 11:34 am

Thanks Jim. I am seriously dissapointed with my water. It lacks the wet feel and the clear reflected sky. I ended up with so much muck on my canvas that I really gace up on it and will try again with another painting.

I have been reading John Carleson Guide to Lanscape painting and another by Paul Strisik and they are wonderful. But I know what my goal is with water so will get there sometime.
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Carlson's is absolutely great. It's been a long time since I looked at Strisik's The Art of Landscape Painting. Lots to learn from his approach to design, value and color. I just initially got hung up over the general lack of detail Smile.

I made myself read Payne's Composition of Outdoor Painting but it truly is a very hard read. While it has a lot of information, it is difficult to pull out. Someday (when I have time Smile) I would love to analyze it, pull out the good stuff and combine it with info from Carlson, add stuff about the Golden Mean, etc. and use it for a workshop. Hmmm, maybe in my next life Laughing.

While it's for watercolors, I love the effects that Ray Hendershot shows in his book Texture Techniques for Winning Watercolors. I'm sure these can be effectively applied by a detail oriented oil painter.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 12:13 pm

It looks really nice, Dale. You've improved it a lot from the beginning.

Dayle
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 2:16 pm

Looks good Dale, even with a dead tree.
good job
Jack
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 3:33 pm

A long journey with this one....you didn't give up though - hats off to you. Nice painting.

I do agree with the eye stopping at the dead tree and what you said about the wet feeling you are missing....is that because there isn't much light reflection, kind of a gray day, like here in Seattle.

Smiley
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 3:40 pm

I have been taking lessons and tried to change my painting from its original intent. it was all about the reflections at first. But, it has been a learning experience and I will move forward (I hope)
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 9:20 pm

That wet feeling often comes from water that is completely still. I feel movement in your water and areas of more current than others. The reflections feel appropriate for the movement.

I like the whole feel of the composition as opposed to the original painting. I also feel that the dead trees were a good call. It looks so much more natural. Reminds me of places I go when I'm back east. I should look up some of the pictures I took while canoeing through a swampy area of an outlet from a lake. Many dead trees, but also much wetland life. I 'll see if I can find it.

Judy
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 1:10 pm

Nice painting, Dale. I like the water, actually. The reflections, autumn trees, dead tree, all work. You've made a lot of changes to this one as you went along, and the end result is fine. Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lake with clouds   Lake with clouds - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lake with clouds
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3