Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

General Chat March 2010

Go down 
+6
kopo
Sofie
Dale
judyfilarecki
Callie
Janet
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Welcome to the forum, Susan!
If you've had a look around, you probably saw we have some on going discussions about ws oil brands, mediums, brushes... If you have any questions, just ask - you won't find any "paint snobs" here General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 Icon_biggrin By the way, the Duo Aquas are artist quality paints. Were you using traditional oils before you tried the ws oils?
Back to top Go down
susanms

Location Location : Boyertown, Pa.

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi Callie! It really is refreshing to communicate with artists that are not "pompous". General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 Icon_smile I did start out with traditional oils, but did not like the idea of using toxic solvents. Then I communicated with an artist, Mark Weber, who wrote the book "Brushwork Essentials", and he is the one who told me about WS oils and what brushes he recommends. So before I went any farther in regular oils I bought Holbein Duos. At first I really did not like the stickiness and drag I experienced using them, but the walnut oil solves that problem! I did want the guy's opinion because he is supposedly an authority in oil paint, and to see how he'd compare, since I really can't because I have not tried so many like he has. Nevertheless, I didn't get the feeling he could really be objective if he never ever used the WS oils. I have learned that I can use my traditional oils but use baby oil in place of any solvents - and that it works great and is not toxic. So that's nice to know rather than get rid of them. But right now I am using my Holbein Duo and Artisan paint and it's very nice.
It is nice to communicate with others that are doing the same, and what a wealth of info here!! General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 8:38 am

Hi Susan! Welcome to the forum! The misinformation that is throughout the internet is amazing. People who use them once and don't like them but they weren't using them correctly. People who haven't used them and feel the need to bash them. I do think that their is a learning curve with Water Soluble Oils but many of the oil painters that try them that I've seen comment in a negative way don't understand that. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:12 pm

Susan - ditch the baby oil and stick with the walnut oil (you can use it with the trad. and the ws oils). For painting, one needs to use drying oils:

http://painting.about.com/cs/oils/a/dryingoils.htm

Baby/mineral oil is not a drying oil and inhibits oxidation (oil paints don't actually dry - they oxidize). If you use mineral oil, at best, you'll end up with a sticky dust-gathering painting that never "dries" and can't be cleaned. I would worry about binding, too - the paint may not adhere well to the canvas or other layers of paint.

There's a reason art supply stores don't offer bottles of mineral oil along with the usual linseed, stand oil...

Back on topic, now----->
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:30 pm

I would never use baby oil as a medium - only to clean, because mineral oil does not dry. Then I'd use dish soap to get it all out before I'd shape with Masters and then dry.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:57 pm

Quote :
I have learned that I can use my traditional oils but use baby oil in place of any solvents

Glad you cleared that up - some artists do use solvents in their painting mediums, and not just for cleaning up. General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 7:16 pm

Kay, I moved your post showing your Bob Ross video into as new link where it might get better exposure.

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/talk-about-art-painting-f13/the-joy-of-joy-of-painting-t282.htm#3921

I tried to put it into the Bob Ross discussion Topic but couldn't figure out how to do it so it is in it's own. Maybe Janet or Callie can do it.

Judy
Back to top Go down
KayZahn

KayZahn

Location Location : Tempe and Greer Az

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 8:12 pm

judyfilarecki wrote:
Kay, I moved your post showing your Bob Ross video into as new link where it might get better exposure.

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/talk-about-art-painting-f13/the-joy-of-joy-of-painting-t282.htm#3921

I tried to put it into the Bob Ross discussion Topic but couldn't figure out how to do it so it is in it's own. Maybe Janet or Callie can do it.

Judy

Thank you, I have looked for a Bob Ross Forum. I'm still getting used to finding things on these forum types. Kay
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi Kay,

Here's the link to the Bob Ross discussion

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/talk-about-art-painting-f13/bob-ross-t245.htm

It is in the same forum as I put yours "Talk about Art and Painting"

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 6:17 pm

We're getting some terrific weather here. Feels like early spring. The snow is almost all melted but that doesn't mean it's not going to snow again. Crossing my fingers. So busy with work. Unfortunately after I finish work I never feel like painting. I really have to be in the mood to paint. Hope everyone is doing well. Smile
Back to top Go down
KayZahn

KayZahn

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Janet wrote:
. . . Unfortunately after I finish work I never feel like painting. I really have to be in the mood to paint. Hope everyone is doing well. Smile

It isn't just being in the mood to paint, it's having enough time left to paint like you want to. AND there's so much hassle to cleaning up, especially if you can't get back to it right away . . . it's stressful, or more like disappointing. Maybe it's the empty feeling you get when you are yearning to paint, but don't get to. The yearning that is always there. Until you just DO IT.

Enjoy the weather. We got to 82 degrees here in sunny Arizona. Well the PHX valley anyway. How's Tucson Judy?

Kay Zahn

ps: where is my signature?? I know I have one set up, I just don't see it. . .
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 11:46 pm

Kay, somehow the always show sig. option was off in your profile. It's back on in your profile, also I used the edit option on your post to open it then went to options at the bottom of the message box (under preview/send), look under the image uploading options and you'll find a check box for show signature - I've checked it for your last post. So you should be OK now General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 12:31 am

The painting 'mood' you mention raises an interesting point. I am fortunate in having a studio which is totally mine and when I finish a session of painting apart from cleaning my brushes I just walk away. I am retired from employment so no pressures from that direction yet there are times when I feel that I should paint but can't.
I say to myself 'if I touch that I'll spoil it' but is that just a cop out?
Mood? Or perhaps laziness. It's so easy to wander into the studio and pick up one of my art books and get engrossed in reading about art rather than painting.
I deliberately got rid of the divan i used to pose my models on cos' it was too comfortable. But even so I'll stand reading for a while and then feel guilty.
But, yes, mood comes into it cos' when I do jerk myself into activity I still wont touch the work in progress, but instead, prepare another canvas. Guilt I think.
Some artists with whom I communicate finish a painting every day!
Strange!
Sorry I'm burbling on. It's 5am and I'm wide awake.
It's good to talk.
Too dark to paint. Have got daylight bulbs but I don't feel comfortable using them. Or, is that just a cop out?

Jack
Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 1:15 am

When I am away from painting for any length of time it is VERY difficult to get into it again, and I find myself to be so stiff and tight! It is great to get going and continue on a "roll". I have it set up in my dining room, so it's not a big deal to paint since it's always "ready to go". But sometimes I need to distance a little from it because I find myself constantly mixing colors in my head where ever I am, and I think I'm obsessing over it! General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 Icon_eek Plus when I walk away for awhile and just look at my painting now and then I will see it more objectively, and see color and value changes that I need to make more clearly.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 7:40 am

Hi Kay, I think you're rite about the time factor because I usually paint Alla Prima I don't have what might be called quick sessions. My sessions are usually about 5 hours long to get it done. 82 degrees... I'm envious. Some day we might purchase a second home in the southern states so we can migrate south for the winter. Smile

Hi Callie, Are you doing a lot of painting with your group? Smile

Hi Jack, I've been doing the reading about art. I'm really itching to paint. I've gotten as far as gessoing some canvas and studying "Girl with a Pearl Earring" for this months challenge. The daylight bulbs do work well I use them most of the time. Smile

Hi Susan, I know what you mean about it being difficult to get into it again. I know I'm going to be really rusty when I pick up my paintbrush again. Smile

I remember Chantal suggesting small simple paintings. I think that's the way I'll go for a while. At least I'll be painting. I think it's a great way to test out technique and focus on one aspect of painting that I know I need to improve on. Gaining control of the medium is another factor. I still don't have full control of the medium but I know I don't paint as much as I should.
Back to top Go down
KayZahn

KayZahn

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 10:26 am

Jack, I do that too. . . pick up a book for inspiration and end up reading (and looking at other's art) for hours. And DON'T get me started on doing the same thing but with BLOGS ! Of course that's how I've found most of the great art hanging on MY walls.

So there's a question?

Who do YOU have hanging on YOUR wall?
Do you display your own art? or does it all get sold or given away?

My paintings are ALL either stacked in a rack or on my husband's office wall (he's being kind, and let's me hang them there to dry)

On MY wall I have
Beata Sasik (impasto -a word I NOW remember- oils)
Penny Otwell (plein air, impressionist lives/paints yosemite valley)
John Billings (water color and oil - country scenes, old barns etc)
Joa' Johnson (my favorite-acrylics mostly - portraits)

amongst some quilt art from some fabulous folks like Diane Weber.

btw - Janet, your work reminds me a LOT of Joa's

I have hundreds of fabulous ACEOs from many other artists I watch.
there's another question (sorry, it's early and the coffee is kickin' in)
Do any of you dabble in ACEOs? I notice you mentioned SMALL paintings. Were you talking THAT small?

I have a huge house (back to the where you paint subject) and I'm working on "moving things" around to make an art studio. I currently have an office (yet I'm on a kitchen couch with my laptop right now) AND a video studio, AND a sewing room, AND a storage room, AND a large entry way with lots of light (but from high windows, so I can't see outside) and that's where I paint right now. But I have art and quilts on the walls so I have to be careful not to be too messy.

I'm going to grab the camera some day and video tape my studio(s) and my art on the walls. Of course to encourage others to do the same. Maybe we'll see spots we can help each other fill.

OK I'll stop now . . . admins, you are going to have to chop that up Wink feel free

Thanks everyone for the conversation. Hubby and kids are gone right now (spring break) and I'm home with MiMI. She sleeps till noon . . I should be painting shouldn't I???

Kay
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 11:39 am

Kay. Where you are sounds exciting and, you sound excited .
What a beautiful combination.
I'll get round to commenting soon
Jack
bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 11:49 am

Good Morning Kay,

We've been in the 70's the past two days and expect to hit 80 tomorrow. Tucson is aleways a little cooler than up by you.

I back up to the Santa Cruz "River" facing east and have 15 feet of window looking out at the Catalina Mountains, a view that is a definite stimulus for many of my paintings. Here's one photo that inspired the snowy suset painting in works in progress.

General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 Pic01210

It is hard to resist looking out the window for inspiration when the view of the mountain and sky is always changing.

Being retired, I usually get time to paint as I feel like it. I do know that I go into withdrawal if I'm in between paintings or traveling.

Speaking of painting, I want to get to it so I can go out and walk before it gets too hot. Yesterday I ended up walking at 6:30 PM right at sunset. Weather was gorgeous. Just have to be conscious of the rattle snakes that are coming out of hibernation.

Off to the easel.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 12:46 pm

It's warm and sunny here now, but it rained over the weekend so we skipped the plein air painting and met at the coffee shop. Got some more done on my painting for the March Challenge, then got home, looked at it in a different light and wiped out a lot of what I had done General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 Icon_lol the eyes were "off".
I have a small house with microscopic closets. The room I used to paint in has become a "walk-in" closet, 'cause I got tired of going down to the basement for everything. So, no more room to leave my painting stuff set up and ready to go. Not good for me because I like to have a few things going at once and working on and off day or night. Having to get everything arranged puts me off - I"ll spend all day thinking about painting and never make a start.

Janet - I'm looking forward to seeing how you do your Vermeer!
Kay - I can't get into that ACEO thing - I have a hard time painting something 8 x 10 inches, never mind as tiny as those cards General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 Icon_cyclops
Judy - we've got a yard full of garden snakes, have to be careful when mowing, but that's OK, 'cause they're not rattlers! I used to live in Oklahoma and had to be on the look out for rattlesnakes and copperheads whenever enjoying the great outdoors General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 Affraid
Hey, Jack - should we brew another pot of tea and think about what we want to paint today? General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 2:50 pm

Callie it's the wrong time of day for me to have a cup of tea. 7pm and I'm heading to the lounge with a glass of white wine. I've done some more on my 'windows' painting, very close to the finish now. Hope so, cos I've got another exhibition coming up.
I'm getting excited about exhibiting again. Might have another marquee exhibition, the only bother is the necessary publicity. It's a bind.
Love ya Callie, in fact love ya all.
king with a rakish crown.
Jack
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 3:44 pm

I have a room at the back of my house - sort of an enclosed porch - that I call my studio, but in the winter I do a lot of my painting in the kitchen. I live on my own for the most part so I can ,leave everything all set up. I try to paint almost every day, but sometimes it just doesn't happen - like right now when I'm getting ready for my trip and combatting a back that's decided this would be a good time to flare up.

What art do I have hanging on my wall? Mostly my own , because my living room doubles as a gallery, but in my bedroom I've got paintings done by friends and my artist son.
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 4:03 pm

I have 8 of my own hanging, 4 by my mother, and 2 that I brought back from France.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Good idea Jack ....goes off to pour glass of wine....
I don't have much on the walls, it's an old house, so more windows than wall space and since the walls are plaster, hanging anything heavy is a risk General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 Kopfschuettel

Jack, if I were there, I'd do your publicity for you - I'm better at marketing than painting General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 Icon_lol Glad to hear you have people interested in viewing your work General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 120968

Sofie - do you have showings in your home? How did your trip/exhibit go?
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 8:42 pm

Callie - I'm off on my trip on Saturday! My Show went well. I sold 3 paintings and cards and prints. My friend Teresa sold a painting as well. (it was a joint show)

Yes, people do come to my home to see paintings by appointment, and also every summer when we have a local studio tour.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 12:23 am

That's great, Sofie! General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 Icon_cheers
I love doing the studio tours around here - always interesting to see the different studio set-ups, materials and of course - artwork.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Chat March 2010   General Chat March 2010 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Chat March 2010
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next