Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") Empty
PostSubject: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 9:37 pm

Here is a look at my newest painting. "Sentinel" measures 30" x 40", making it the largest painting I have worked on so far.
It has been very interesting to work large. I keep mixing more paint! This is about 3 hours in.
I will be painting most of this over again in the second layer, as I start to add more rock colour and define the edges better.
The palette is my standard one: Artisan Titanium white, Cad Yellow Hue, Cad Red Hue, French Ultramarine and Burnt Umber.

Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") Sentinelprog1sm_1120_zpsf3a32eb7
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Rocks give me fits so I'm very impressed with your rock paintings. This one in particular almost breathes.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks Jan! The subject is certainly on the rugged side. The second layer should be fun and much more distinct.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 7:28 pm

This is awesome Alan... Very, Very nice. As always, it looks complete even at this stage, This is a mark of a good artist
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks Faisal. I am getting stronger when painting this large image: more paint, bigger brush, larger arm movements. Perfect for January fitness goals! But seriously, I now like to at least block in the image, then basically repaint parts of it. A result of watching the October workshop teacher. It helps me see the whole scene at least in blocked in area and value.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 8:29 am

That is a good way to start, gets rid of all the white space and gives you base to leap from. I need to start doing landscapes as well. It is too cold and wet these days, so will wait for a little warmer weather.

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Back at it with Sentinel today. I worked on the 'rock face' highlights and light mid tones. These photos are a little dark but give an idea of what was done. About 1.5 hours in this session.

It's really interesting to work big. The strokes are larger and there is a tendency to do a lot of little srubby strokes, but I am trying to keep to big brushes.
I have included a closeup to show how the modelling is coming along. Still lots to do, session by session.

Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") Sentinelprog3_sm450

Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") Sentinelprog3detailsm450
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 4:54 pm

Amazing Alan... love the progress you have made... Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 8:47 pm

It looks like you are making good progress. Working on large canvases have their own challenges, especially for someone like me who isn't very tall.

I've been known to turn the paining on its side or upside down to reach areas. Doing that also gives you a different perspective on the subject which has its own advantages especially if you are having trouble getting something to look like you want.

I did that one time painting clouds at sunrise. My mind just would not accept that the highlights should be on the bottom of clouds. I struggles and repainted for two days before I turned it upside down and painted it in 5 minutes.

Judy
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 9:32 pm

So here is the newest in progress photo of Sentinel. Reposted here to help me keep track of my own progress, ha ha.

There is a big snowstorm coming where I live this weekend. Maybe that will lock me in for part of the weekend, with nothing better to do than paint. Here's hoping, and in the meantime, for continuity, here is "Sentinel"

Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") Sentinelprog4sm450_zps52316d20
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 12:22 am

Beautiful!! Hope you don't get too much snow. Stay warm.

Judy
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Okay, back to the Sentinel today for a couple of hours.
Here are two views, first one is the whole canvas, the second is a detail from that same photo.
Today I repainted the sky, darkened some of the 'chin' and sharpened a few edges and so on.
Next session I will add the trees to the upper left. Should be interesting.

Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") SentinelProg5_zpse7e01c3f

Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") SentinelProg5det450_zpsc3151475
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 12:23 am

Lest I ruin it with too many words... I shall use only one:

Perfection!.. Smile
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 2:08 pm

It's looking good!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 2:30 am

You can feel the texture of the stone. "Perfection" as Faisal said.
Judy
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 11:16 am

Hi
Thank you all for your kind comments.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 12:08 am

Yes, this is really great!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")   Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel") Empty

Back to top Go down

Hopewell Cape Rocks 2 ("Sentinel")
Page 1 of 1