Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hopewell Cape Rocks 1

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 Empty
PostSubject: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 9:56 pm

There are very large natural rock formations near where I live. People come from literally all over the world to see the Hopewell Cape Rocks, and walk among them at low tide. But beware when the tide comes in, it rises very quickly and covers the sea floor.

This is the very start, a pencil trace-down of a photo I captured last summer. I have darkened the photo of the tracing to help it show better here. No paint yet, but it is a start, right?
The canvas is 9" x 12", I will use Artisan, likely a very limited palette for this one. Then proceed to take those learnings to a 24" x 36 painting of the same image. Likely to be a small series of the Rocks, as they are a fascinating subject.

Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 Rocks1tracesm400
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Looks interesting. Can hardly wait to see more.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 9:48 pm

I can almost feel the color... Smile Looking forward to the completion of this work... Smile
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 9:27 pm

Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 Rocks1sm1500

Here is the first layer, 2.5 hours in. The palette is my usual one, Artisan titanium white, Cad yellow hue, cad red hue, ultramarine blue and raw umber. Next, I need to work on the face of the foreground rock, and the background rocks.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 11:40 pm

Wow! This is coming out really nice... You could call it complete right now. Love the composition. I love the way the rock in the front is dominating and how it extends out of the picture. I like the way you are handling the atmospheric perspective.

I need to do some landscape painting as well. I need to pack up and head out.

Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 5:27 pm

I really like your sketch and the first post of the color wip looks good. Have you done any more to it?
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi Jan
Thanks for the comments. I haven't gotten any further yet, it is still on my easel, waiting for my life to calm down Smile
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Had a chance to work on this yesterday. I repainted the sky, and the rocks in the background. Then I mostly repainted the large rock in the foreground. Almost finished, but it helps to walk away for a day or so before declaring something finished. If you would like to have a closer look, there is a larger image of this one on our Facebook painting page.

Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 Rocks2sm
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 8:23 am

Absolutely delightlful too look at... Smile. The painting has very decisive brush strokes and love the color harmony. Alan, I think you are definetly a landscape artist... It is a pleasure to see your landscape work... Smile
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks Faisal!
I am learning a lot in working with the limited palette. It might help me if I ever get painting outdoors sometime. Not today of course, it is -20 or something right now:)

I will be tackling some very large Rock paintings soon. The blank one on my easel now measures 30" x 40", my largest yet.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 11:52 am

Yes! Also, I like the nuances that you are catching in your work... I have noticed that as one improves, the nuances are caught automatically without realization... but I like it...
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 8:58 am

... I wanted to say... and I like it... not "but I like it"... (changes the intent of what I wanted to say)... Smile
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi Faisal
Thanks for the good words! We are both on the path to better paintings. You are progressing rapidly! I am always struggling to find time and energy but am planning to focus what I do have.
best regards
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 4:52 pm

Really nice, Alan! I think we all struggle for more painting time. Even though I'm "retired" the time still isn't there for painting sometimes. I hope to get more painting done after this month ends & will post when I do.

In the meantime, keep on painting, Alan!
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 9:40 pm

I could have reposted this one on the completed page, as it is now done.
But it is essentially the same as the photo above, except for the addition of people, and my signature. So here is a detail photo of that little area.

Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 AmongGiantsDetail
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 8:52 pm

cool to see a different perspective... Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hopewell Cape Rocks 1   Hopewell Cape Rocks 1 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hopewell Cape Rocks 1
Page 1 of 1