Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?

Go down 
+19
Robert P Hedden
TerryS
Dana C
Sholly59
watermixableguy
Crystal1
DAK723
susanms
kbaxterpackwood
Ed
brushoff
Donna Pierce-Clark
Sofie
Callie
dlspinks
dbclemons
judyfilarecki
Janet
Admin
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

W&N Artisans
What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Vote_lcap35%What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 35% [ 17 ]
Holbein Duo Aqua
What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Vote_lcap22%What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 22% [ 11 ]
Royal Talens H2Oils
What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Royal Talens Cobra
What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Vote_lcap14%What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 14% [ 7 ]
Lukas Berlin
What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Vote_lcap14%What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 14% [ 7 ]
Grumbacher Max
What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Vote_lcap12%What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 12% [ 6 ]
Weber wOil
What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 49

AuthorMessage
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 10:29 pm

What brand/s do you normally use? Or have you been painting with regular oils, and just use ws for the class?
Back to top Go down
kbaxterpackwood

kbaxterpackwood

Location Location : Iowa

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 11:38 pm

Callie wrote:
What brand/s do you normally use? Or have you been painting with regular oils, and just use ws for the class?

Hi Callie

I'm not sure if you were asking me or not but I normally, since early last fall anyway, use Artisans. Before that Goldens and about 15 years ago I was using whatever was on sale at the Campus book store. I took a couple of painting classes as an undergrad and while I loved painting with oils the turps etc. gave me debilitating migranes so I switched to acrylics.

My primary medium of choice is natural dyes that's my area of actual expertise and that is what I've focused on the last 15 years or so. I'm now incorporating my natural dyed fabrics, fibers, etc., into my mixed media pieces, I also work in Encaustic.

In August I was asked if I'd be interested in teaching a beginning oils class and was told about the water soluble oils so I bought some Artisans at Hobby Lobby and have been painting like a fiend ever since.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 12:06 am

kbaxterpackwood wrote:

In August I was asked if I'd be interested in teaching a beginning oils class and was told about the water soluble oils so I bought some Artisans at Hobby Lobby and have been painting like a fiend ever since.

Hi, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I'm glad you are enjoying the WS Oils so much.

I just sent you a Private message (PM) with a copy of the most recent Newsletter from the forum. If you look across the top menu, you will see an option "You have xxx new messages". click on that and you can receive your mail.

Welcome again,

Judy
Back to top Go down
kbaxterpackwood

kbaxterpackwood

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 12:24 am

judyfilarecki wrote:
kbaxterpackwood wrote:

Hi, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I'm glad you are enjoying the WS Oils so much.

Welcome again,

Judy

Thank you for the welcome Judy What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

Kimberly
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 1:52 am

Sorry about the confusion, Kimberly. Yes, I was asking you - I'm always nosy about what materials/methods others are using. It seems quite a few artists have come to ws oils after having used some other medium.
Looking forward to seeing your work, and please check out the "Water Mixable Mix-Up" topic if you'd like to show some of your mixed media pieces, or discuss non ws oil techniques. What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 291433
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 10:00 am

Hi Kimberly! I've added Reeves to the poll. I did even know that Reeves had a line of Water Soluble Oils. Smile
Back to top Go down
kbaxterpackwood

kbaxterpackwood

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 12:58 pm

Janet wrote:
Hi Kimberly! I've added Reeves to the poll. I did even know that Reeves had a line of Water Soluble Oils. Smile

Is it possible to check more than one type of brand on the poll? I didn't know they made a water soluble either until a week or so ago, talk about a suprise when the center told me that that's what they bought for my students to use.

I've been making samples since the colors are way different than Artisans, Reeves colors are something along the lines of flesh, pink, yellow, and then some of the standard paint colors like cad red, ultramarine blue. It's a strange palette, the white is "mixing white" whatever that is, I'm used to having just Titanium white on my palette.

So yes I'm glad I found out about this and am having time to work with the product and discover any bugs/isms it may have.

Kimberly
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 1:51 pm

I think mixing white is more like zinc white, which you can use a lot more of than titanium white without turning your colours into pastels.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 10:11 pm

Kimberly, the poll is set up so you can check more than one type of brand. Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 8:05 am

Tried using primarily Lukas Berlin for painting for my last two paintings and finding them too oily. Back to a full palette of Holbein Duo Aqua.
Back to top Go down
susanms

Location Location : Boyertown, Pa.

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 8:33 pm

A very helpful and interesting book is "Brushwork Essentials", by Mark Christopher Weber. After reading this book I switched from traditional oils to water solubles. He helped me to understand about the best ws paints and which brushes he thinks are best. According to him, the Holbein Duo is a professional paint whereas the Artisan is the student grade.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 7:13 am

I have the Brushwork Essentials as well and really like it. I prefer the Holbein but I think the brand is more about what people prefer in handling properties. I've seen many fantastic paintings created with the different brands of Water Soluble Oils. I'm still not sure what makes a brand artist grade or not or how exactly it affects the final results but I would be more concerned with lightfastness. I think pigment load is important but only to the degree where it would be noticeable and I haven't seen any major differences from brand to brand.
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 7:51 am

And I have not personally had the experience myself to compare.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 1:27 pm

I've tried every brand except for the Weber and Van Gogh. I few things that I discovered for me is stick to one brand because the difference in the way they handle throws me off.

Susan, no matter which brand you choose. I know you'll do great! Smile
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Can anyone tell me anything about Lukas WS paints? I love Holbein Duo, but I am wondering how Lukas compares. That's not a Bob Ross paint is it? Are they student or artist grade?
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 9:45 am

Janet mentioned using Lukas in the beginning of this topic.
Quote :
I use the Holbein Duo Aqua and Lukas Berlin. I find that they're
very creamy and appear to react better to the addition of water then
some of the other brands. I use 1/2 water and 1/2 linseed oil as my
medium so that's important to me.
She is usually not available over the weekend, but I'm sure she'll get back to you with more information shortly.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 12:16 pm

A bit of info from the below site -
http://www.heinzjordan.com/oil_paints.htm

Quote :
Lukas
BERLIN Water Mixable Oil Colour

(Professional Quality)
Lukas BERLIN contains only selected
pigments of highest possible ligthfastness in their class. Only pure, modified linseed and sunflower oils in "pharma quality" are used as binders. To enable the mixability with water without influencing the other characteristics of the oil colour like drying time, lightfastnesses and brilliance, Lukas has developed a special procedure of modifying oils that guarantees a nearly water-free and water-resistant (colour) film structure. Lukas BERLIN dries like a real oil colour completely. That makes Lukas BERLIN a real alternative
to traditional oils for the casual and professional painter.
Available in 24 colours in 37 ml and 350 ml tubes.

They are very soft/creamy.
Back to top Go down
DAK723

DAK723

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Based on their price, the Lukas Berlin paints are probably student grade, although there is nothing fundamentally wrong with using student grade materials. The basic difference is less pigment in the tube. The Berlin's also do not have real cadmiums, cobalts or cerulean or viridian - using hues instead. Here is a link to a Lukas PDF:

http://www.lukas.eu/WEB_GB/Broschueren/Leaflets/WERB2049_Berlin_GB_Internet.pdf

Don
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 2:18 pm

Thank you all for your helpful links and comments. What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Herz
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Hi Susan! The Lukas Berlin are my second favorite brand of WSOs. As Callie said their not as stiff as the Holbein and I find that you can use water with them just like the Holbein without having problems with them getting sitcky. They work well mixed with the Holbein. I prefer a stiffer paint so when I use the Lukas Berlin it's usually for the thinner darks but I work Alla Prima a lot.
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 8:56 pm

Thanks. I was turned off with WS oil when I first started because of that stickiness. Now that I use the walnut oil I don't experience that at all anymore.
I was able to ask Mark Christopher Weber what he thought and he said:

"Several years ago I bought only one
tube of Lukas
water soluble oils just to try it out. I haven't seen them advertized
for a few
years so assumed they were no longer available. The little I remember
much about
the paint is that it mixed well with water, and I think I recall that
the color load wasn't as good as I was used to with Holbein Duo, but I
think I
recall that Lukas Berlin oils had better body than Winsor Newton Artisan

watersoluble oils. If price is an issue, then Lukas is probably worth a
serious
try."

The price is super good on Jerry's Artarama for them! The only thing is that they do have alot of "hue" paint and I won't use that, but I have made a mental note that I will try Lukas at some point probably.

Hope you all have had a nice weekend, and thanks again for all your comments.
What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Herz
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 7:23 am

Thank you for sharing your reply from Mark Christopher Weber! Smile
Back to top Go down
DAK723

DAK723

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 9:24 pm

susanms wrote:
Thanks. I was turned off with WS oil when I first started because of that stickiness.

Just curious about what brand you used. It seems to me (although I could be mistaken) that most "stickiness" comments that I have read (on another site) have to do with W&N Artisans. I use water with the Grumbacher Max and have never had any stickiness issues. Just recently I tried the Holbeins with no problems. I am just wondering if the stickiness issue - which many folks who ridicule WMOs use as their argument - is really an issue with any of the other brands. The way the Max and the Holbein handle is indistinguishable from traditional oils, in my opinion.

Don
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 11:00 pm

I used traditional oils but switched to WS's (Holbein Duo) because of not wanting to deal with toxic fumes. I used Artisan Stand oil or Holbein Linseed specifically for WS paint. I didn't like the drag and build up on the painting when I used those. I was not used to that, and the solvents seemed to be causing the stickiness - not the water. I don't like to use much water because of the flatness. Anyway - the problem is now solved for me in using a little water at first and then as I continue to layer and paint I use walnut oil as needed, and there is not anything for me to complain about anymore. I'm a happy painter! What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 6:03 pm

Does anyone here get on Facebook? Jerry's Artarama, found on there, is offering a nice brush set with a $40 purchase of paint. When I check out I see that Lukas Berlin is on sale for $2.99 for a 37ml tube and $7.99 for the 200ml tube. Not bad! For that low price I think I'll take a chance! I love Holbein Duo, but it really is more expensive. If Lukas is truly a professional grade paint I'll be happy. I tried an Artisan yellow and the pigment load was really awful. I don't buy "hue" anymore. Lukas has alot of "hue" paints, so I'm not getting any of them, but they have alot of others too. We'll see! The sale ends today, but their prices remain very low on Lukas Berlin WS's anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use?   What brand of Water Soluble Oils do you use? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next