Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Walking the Red Road

Go down 
+2
Dana C
Sofie
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

Walking the Red Road Empty
PostSubject: Walking the Red Road   Walking the Red Road EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 3:59 pm

Here is the painting I'm currently working on. This photo was taken a couple of weeks ago. I thought I had more progress pics but this is the only one. 24"x40", 4 canvases connected for painting. Walking the Red Road 167531_482549170994_535710994_6364185_6969108_n This is a concept painting representing past present and future.
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: Walking the Red Road   Walking the Red Road EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 5:08 pm

Sofie,

This piece sure is going to be fun to see the steps along the way....I always enjoy watching your work progress.....can't wait.

Walking the Red Road Artist13
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Walking the Red Road   Walking the Red Road EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 5:41 pm

I love the idea of the 4 canvasses and would like to see it hung when on display
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Walking the Red Road   Walking the Red Road EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Interesting concept. I'll be interested in watching the progress. How will the four canvases be displayed, framed or unframed... with space in between or tight together as you have it here?

judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Walking the Red Road   Walking the Red Road EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 11:21 am

Thanks everybody. Smile

As I said in the previous post, I thought I'd taken more progress pics, but I hadn't. This painting now it at the "should I tamper with it anymore?" stage.

Judy - I never frame my paintings, I can't afford to and I also believe that it's best for the buyer to choose the frame style. If I were to frame it, I'd just do a simple box frame. I'm not sure If I'll hang it as one piece, as it is here, or with space between he canvases. I'll know better when it dries more and I take it all apart.

A brief explanation of the subject: This painting is about Australia in general, and about my son and his fiancee and the life they've chosen to live there - thus walking the red road. My son is a musician and has a song called red road which partially inspired this painting. While I was visiting them in Australia last year, we were walking up a red dirt road that stretched ahead of us. They were walking in front of me and I knew somehow that I had to capture the idea of taking this road in life in a painting. The couple in the foreground are the present, walking the road to their future, the light blue sky ahead of them. On either side, hidden in the trees, is the past - the history of Australia that is always there, but hardly seen in the present. On the left, an aboriginal man stands with a spear in the shadows. On the right, a woman paints traditional stories in the ground while a child looks on - these stories swirl out from her painting stick to create the mosaic of life that flows unendingly.

I worked from a number of photos that I had taken - one of the red road; two others of the couple walking along forest trails; photos of the magpie, the kookaburra, the cockatoo, the king parrot, and the flying rosellas. I had to invent the aboriginal people as I had no photos to work from for them.

Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: Walking the Red Road   Walking the Red Road EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 1:43 pm

Sofie,

Love the story....very nice, sure has so much more than paint on a canvas.... WOW>>>> very heart felt.

Thank you for sharing
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Walking the Red Road   Walking the Red Road EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 11:50 pm

Thanks for the explanation. Now I see the man with the spear. Are you not going to put any more color on the two figures walking?

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Walking the Red Road   Walking the Red Road EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 12:34 am

Thanks Judy and Dana.

Still have to post the pic of what it looks like now, Judy - must get it off my camera, Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Walking the Red Road   Walking the Red Road EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 9:44 am

Great idea with the separate canvases! Love the theme! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Walking the Red Road   Walking the Red Road EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 6:14 pm

Thanks Janet Smile

Walking the Red Road 167729_482550255994_535710994_6364188_8268378_n

Here it is now - I think it's finished.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Walking the Red Road   Walking the Red Road EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 10:33 pm

I like it. Everything is so crisp and the colors beautiful. I like your mosaic style.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Walking the Red Road   Walking the Red Road EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 8:36 am

Sofie, Good going! Beautiful painting! Smile

Last edited by Janet on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: Walking the Red Road   Walking the Red Road EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 1:55 pm

I agree with all the positive comments on this piece. Sofie, looking at this and your other work on your website I'm reminded of the beautiful artwork that appears in many children's books. Betcha some writer would love to have you illustrate their book!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walking the Red Road   Walking the Red Road Empty

Back to top Go down

Walking the Red Road
Page 1 of 1