Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

General Chat - September 2010

Go down 
+7
Janet
TerryS
Sofie
Crystal1
judyfilarecki
Dale
Callie
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:04 am

Judy, interesting comments on your (two) local art markets.

In my area, in Atlantic Canada, the art scene seems to consist of artists who paint what I would call "tourist" paintings (lighthouses, covered bridges, and fishing boats), and more serious artists who work with abstract and that kind of stuff. Of course there are a few "high-end" painters whose works are shown internationally, but they are the exception.

What I have noticed is that there are a lot of art auctions here. There must be at least 4 a year. A worthwhile charity organizes an evening with dinner and entertainment, and a silent auction for artwork. Many paintings from local artists are displayed. All the evening's proceeds go to the charity, but the artist gets paid for their painting if it sells. Full auction price I believe.

I have mixed feelings about these auctions. On the one hand, it allows an artist to show work to supposedly interested buyers. But I have talked to artists who felt that their work did not fetch a good price, so they are discouraged at having let a painting go at a devalued price.
I think there is a risk of overexposure, or people buying your work only at auctions.

Judy and others, do you see these auctions where you live, and have you heard any comments pro or con?
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:36 am

I haven't run into anything like that in either place, but can see the pro's and con's of auctions. I did donate large framed prints of some of my earliest pastels to the local PBS station for their art auction, but you don't get any payment from that.

The interesting thing, though, was that several years later I was at a show with the art council here, and a man came up to me and excitedly shook my hand. He had purchased my hummingbird print through the auction and was thrilled to meet me.
He said the painting hangs over the mantel of his fireplace and he just loves it. Sooo. I guess the donation was worth while.

I think I'll look into joining one of the art guilds when I return to Arizona. They tend to have an in with the art community and buyers interested in purchasing original art at original art prices.

Judy
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 9:55 am

Judy, it must be so gratifying to meet people who have purchased your work! Wow!

Here are a few links that will give a better idea of the auctions I am talking about. All for a good cause, but there are a lot of them each year; somewhat predictable around my region.

Literacy:
http://www.galamagnumopusgala.ca/

Families in need:
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/rss/article/1052517

Children's art with Hockey team Sponsor
http://www.moncton-wildcats.com/en-ca/news/press-release.php?id=583

and finally, one that is scheduled for this Friday, but no longer posted on the sponsor website, so I have cut and pasted some of the details here:

A large art auction featuring 42 Atlantic artists and over 120 original art pieces is planned for September 10th in Riverview at the Chocolate River Factory. The show is for serious art collectors or for those who would like to own a piece of art, but it's open to the public who will be able to view the pieces and watch the internationally known Art Auctioneer in action. The doors open at 5 with the viewing and healthy cocktails, champagne, local wines and beverages.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 1:46 pm

Thanks for the links. I'll have to look into things aroud Arizona when I get back.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 2:26 pm

Our art guild does a yearly charity auction, but all paintings are donated - so the only thing the artists get out of it is some exposure. But I don't think our art guild is too fond of paintings anyway - there are fewer and fewer opportunities to show traditional work. Here's what's on now:

Behind the Lines will focus on the guerilla nature of contemporary print, painting, installation, street and other mixed media works. These exhibits will range from site specific stencil driven works to wheat paste posters that belong on the street as well as a variety of other approaches including the hand held comic book. These exhibits are sure to delight and provoke the activist in all.

We've got two art fairs this coming weekend, one local and the other is a well established (expensive) national show. I don't even bother going to the big show anymore, it's mainly jewelry, digital photos and glass works. At both shows, what passes for painting is a lot of collage stuff. The local show doesn't even accept traditional/representational paintings.Rolling Eyes

I love Corel Painter, love messing around on the computer, but I still prefer "real" paintings on the walls. I just don't have any wall space left - might just have to have a neighborhood bar-b-que ...with a really big bonfire Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 2:39 pm

We have a juror-ed art show at the University near here that I could be involved in and it is $25 per entry which isn't too bad and the paintings are for sale. The only problem I run into is that, much like Callie said, they really don't want traditional art. Some of the stuff they do accept is so far out, I'm almost embarrassed to include any of mine. They also only want originals, and up until now I haven't been ready to part with any originals, only prints. Maybe when I come back next year I'll consider it if I get past the jury process.

I'm also out of wall space even with two houses, so the Corel lets me paint without taking up more wall space. It also lets me experiment more and then do an actual painting if I really like the outcome.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 5:35 pm

The art auctions we have here are just fundraisers, with all the proceeds going to the charity. I like it because donating a painting is a way I can help support a cause I believe in. I'm donating a couple of paintings this fall to art centres because of all the government funding cuts. If artists don't support art centres, who will? Wink One of them has a unique auction scheme. Everyone involved is given a 5"x7" canvas to paint in whatever medium they want with whatever subject they want. The paintings will then be displayed as a mosaic and sold individually in a draw.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 7:58 pm

I was looking at ASW Express today and found out that Lukas Berlin WMOs in the 200ml tubes are on sale for $6.99, and the 37ml tubes are on sale for $2.59. The sale is only good through tomorrow, if anybody's interested.

Dayle
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 7:59 am

Sofie, the mosaic draw you mention is similar to the art sale my wife and I have been contributing to in Nova Scotia each year. They give artists a 6" x 6" piece of MDF board (pressed particle board wood product) to use. All work must be that size, but you can submit your work on canvas instead, or masonite, etc. As long as it measures 6" x6" and is no thicker than .5".
The resulting mosaic "tiles" are photographed all together for a printed promotional poster.
The sale begins one evening, and I guess the place gets packed with people all scrambling to buy these hundreds of "tiles" at $25 each. A real bargain for some of the work. All funds for charity.

The other auctions I mention around my region are real auctions. But my gut feeling is that unless a bidding war breaks out over a particular work, a painting could go for much less than its gallery price. Imagine, your $900 painting selling to the only bidder for $150. Especially if there are several similar auctions per year. It risks overexposing an artist's work at value prices, and I think it can saturate the local market.

I'll be attending one of these art auctions tonight. It will give me a chance to shmooze, hand out business cards, and get acquainted with the process and the personalities. But no Watermixableguy paintings on the block tonight.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 1:00 pm

Alan - I'd be hesitant to sell my paintings on auction too.

With the donated paintings I don't mind what they sell at because I've done my part and what the charity makes off it is up to them, and how well they promote it.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 3:20 pm

I just posted a bunch of rainbow pictures in the RIL if anyone is looking for a rainbow to follow. General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 Icon_smile Judy
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 4:49 pm

Those rainbow pictures are fanastic Judy. I might try one of those soon. Thanks so much.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Just spent another lovely weekend at the cottage painting. I will post them "in progress" forum.

It is getting cooler here but everything is so fresh. I have developed a habit of staring now. I call it observing but people around me think I am zoned out. Nope. Just zoned in.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 11:13 pm

Dana: I've been thinking about your Road or Travel Series. There is a street called "the crookediest road in the world in San Francisco. I looked on Flicker and they have lots of pictures of it--it's called Lombard Street. A very flowery, pretty, curvey street. You might find it fun to paint. Just take a look.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Not painting lately - I have been busy at work as our AGM is next weekend Niagara on the Lake. I am looking forward to it - but busy, busy, busy.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 5:03 pm

Niagara On the Lake should be beautiful at this time of year if the leaves have started to turn. Have fun.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:55 am

Painting and foliage viewing have had to take a back seat for a bit. Our local art league has a bunch of things that have to be addressed and it is taking a good bit of time. Lonesome Line languishes Crying or Very sad. And somehow I've got to get a winter painting done or we'll be buying our Christmas cards this year!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 11:08 am

We've missed you. General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 Icon_sad Hope you have time again soon.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 11:16 am

Jim - I can't wait to see what you do with snow and all those wide open spaces! Don't let the art league keep you away from your art! Laughing
Just Googled Lombard Street:
General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 Lombard-street-picture
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 11:27 am

Been there, done that. it really is a neat experience. I wonder if Dana will try to do this one in her road journey series.

Judy
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 8:54 am

I mentioned a local art auction awhile back, and then got very busy and didn't post my observations of that auction. I'll try to keep it short and descriptive.
This was a first art auction for a new company, which took over an old fire hall, and restored it to contain an art gallery, a cafe, a line of handmade soaps, chocolate and maple syrup. Oh, and tourist information.

There were 126 works on display, with a professional auctioneer conducting the auction.
My wife and I viewed the works, and spoke with any of the artists we recognized. Because the scent of the soap permeates the building, we did not stay long, but left for supper and returned to see a part of the auction.

During the time we were there, only 3 or 4 paintings out of 12 had bids that exceeded the reserve price that the artist had placed on them. The others remained unsold. Reserves were usually 75% of the value, but some were set at only 50% of their value. The paintings that did sell, sold for roughly half of their estimated value, and the auction commission of 30% was then deducted from the artist's earnings. So, $1000 painting sells for maybe $500, with $150 then deducted as commission. Artist walks away with $350.

My observations were that it was a good first attempt; needs MUCH more promotion to reach the attention of serious art buyers; the ubiquitous soap scent would prevent me from displaying canvases in the permanent gallery there; too many works were being auctioned at one time (it would take hours to go through 126 works); too many paintings by each artist.
Pluses: the auctioneer was wonderful; nice to have a chance to see the artists with their work;
gives artists a potential sales vehicle.

The organizers told me that they plan an auction every 2 months: this is too often, unless they make each auction specialized, such as watercolours only, then small paintings, etc.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 10:41 am

Great comments. It is definitely discouraging to think that a $1000 painting netted the artist so little. The soaps are another issue. I'd have to leave as soon as I walked in becasue of my allergies. That would surely reduce the number of people staying for the auction because of the "fragrance" and allergies. I've been know to walk out of Michaels when shopping because of so many scents and have told the management exactly why. I noticed this Spring when I went in, there were no smells and I thanked them for that.

Judy
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 5:29 am

In August I reported about our collapsed ceiling. well last night we had a ceiling up party with a few friends. Good food, wine, and the toast was 'the ceiling'. We stared at it for a while, but, no response.

General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 Ceiling+party+002+Small+Web+view
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 10:29 am

Sounds like a great excuse for a party, although the guest of honor seemed to be a little quiet. Are those all your paintings on the walls?
Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 12:14 pm

Good excuse for a party! I'm sure the ceiling appreciated it in its own, quiet way. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - September 2010   General Chat - September 2010 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Chat - September 2010
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next