Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My first WSO painting

Go down 
+2
Callie
mes2370
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mes2370

Location Location : Cleveland, OH

My first WSO painting Empty
PostSubject: My first WSO painting   My first WSO painting EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 11:06 am

My first WSO painting Tree10

I finally had a chance to open up the WSO's I puchased, just black and white so I could try them out before I spent too much, and here is what I got. It took about an hour and a half on an 11X14 pre-stretched canvas using the Bob Ross method of painting.

I look forward to learning other methods of painting as well.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: My first WSO painting   My first WSO painting EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 4:35 pm

I hope you'll consider glazing over this with some colors. The tree looks great!
Nice results there with only B&W My first WSO painting 120968
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: My first WSO painting   My first WSO painting EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 5:01 pm

It's beautiful. My first WSO painting Icon_cheers I agree with Callie that some glazing would really make it complete. You've done all the hard work. The rest is easy.

Judy
Back to top Go down
mes2370

PostSubject: Re: My first WSO painting   My first WSO painting EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 7:19 pm

Thanks. I was going to ask if I should try glazing to add color once it's dry. I've never glazed before. Do you mainly use water or medium for glazing with WSO. I thought I read that you can use just water, but wanted to make sure before I try.

Now I'll have to order some colors online or pick up some W&N Artisan's (that's all they carry in water soluble) at my local art store.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: My first WSO painting   My first WSO painting EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 7:31 pm

I love the tree trunk.

I have glazed with the medium but find that you get a lot of gloss. I woul dlike to have a way to glaze without creating this effect
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: My first WSO painting   My first WSO painting EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 9:21 am

My first WSO painting Icon_cheers Wonderful painting! Like Callie I would love to see color added. You don't necessarily need to glaze and can use the underpainting as a road map. You did an excellent job with the values. Smile

Last edited by Janet on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: My first WSO painting   My first WSO painting EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 2:01 pm

Instead of glazing with a medium, one could build up thin layers of color over the black and white. Use transparent/semi transparent colors and a dry brush to lightly scumble the color on while still being able to see the b&w underpainting. Then switch to some thicker paint to finish it off once the colors have been established.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: My first WSO painting   My first WSO painting EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 9:42 pm

I agree that building on this with colour is a good idea. Way to break in those WSOs!
Back to top Go down
mes2370

PostSubject: Re: My first WSO painting   My first WSO painting EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 4:01 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. One question, about how long should you wait before you start applying glazes. I am assuming that if it is dry to the touch it is ok to glaze. Or do you have to wait longer than that?
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: My first WSO painting   My first WSO painting EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 8:30 am

mes2370 Did you use any mediums in your first layer or was it just straight out of the tube? I would say dry to the touch but that first layer will be dry to the touch but still in the process of curing. Your glazes will need to consist of fattier layers then your underpainting.
Back to top Go down
mes2370

PostSubject: Re: My first WSO painting   My first WSO painting EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 3:29 pm

I did put a very thin layer of w/s Linseed oil on the canvas first, wiping most of it off with a paper towel, to allow the paints to move a little easier on the canvas. After that I worked mostly straight out of the tube with highlights in the foreground grass and tree with a little linseed oil.

It has been 6 days and feels dry to the touch. I'm in no hurry so I can wait longer if you feel it needs it.

-Mark
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: My first WSO painting   My first WSO painting EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 8:32 am

Mark, I think 6 days should be fine. I'd go for it. I would use linseed oil for glazing to keep the fat over lean rule which I'm sure you were already planing to do. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first WSO painting   My first WSO painting Empty

Back to top Go down

My first WSO painting
Page 1 of 1