Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dbclemons

Location Location : Texas

Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 10:50 am

I read a notice online today that there's this site that offers reproductions of famous paintings, and they've a made a list of their most popular sales. One artist in particular has more requests than any other. They list 36 paintings and this artist appears 11 times. Can you guess who it is? Here's a clue: the artist is no longer alive. Razz

Another artist, however, has one particular painting that is requested more than any other. Extra points if you can guess which painting that is. It's one I would never have guessed, myself, but not too surprising.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks for the clue David that really narrows it down. Rolling Eyes Laughing

For the artist with the most requests I would go with Renoir. For the the painting most requested maybe the Mona Lisa by da Vinci but probably not because it's not one that you would never have guessed. Smile

Last edited by Janet on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 11:16 am

My guess for the dead one is Waterhouse.
Then one of Jack Vettriano's
Jack cheers

PS I got problems at the moment finding my way round a Mac. Brilliant but confusing after the PC
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 1:48 pm

For dead artist, I'm guessing Van Gough based on experience in a framing shop. We sold more VG prints than any of the others, and we framed so many it was starting to feel like a VG assembly line!
For the other.... maybe Girl w a Pearl Ear Ring?

I'm am going to try to resist doing a Google search and wait (not so patiently) to see how this comes out Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? Icon_eek !
Back to top Go down
dbclemons

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 10:14 pm

Just to clarify, we've got one artist with the most requested paintings, and one specific painting by a different artist that was the most requested. This is based on their sales for the last decade, by the way.

Janet, Renoir has a painting on the list of most requested, as is the Mona Lisa (of course) but neither is the most requested.

Jack, sorry, guess again. Razz

Callie, no, "Girl with a Pearl Earing" didn't even make the list. Van Gogh is not the artist with the most paintings requested.

If no one guesses by the end of the week, I'll announce it then.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 10:24 pm

I know this used to be a huge seller, don't know if it still is, but I'll throw it out here for the single best seller:

Flaming June by Leighton
Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? P10220599
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 10:36 pm

Just had another thought... Monet is dead, isn't he? Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? Icon_lol

And for single painting....
Maybe this:
Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? 1700-5162%7EThe-Scream-Posters
I'm torn between Munch and Klimt (the Kiss)
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 7:40 am

We dont' even get another clue... hmm you certainly are going to make this difficult.Basketball

Most requested artist: William Bougereau
Most requested painting: Before the rehearsal by Edgar Degas
Back to top Go down
dbclemons

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 11:05 am

Callie wrote:
Just had another thought... Monet is dead, isn't he?...

Ding! And we have a winner! Callie gets a lifetime supply of smiley faces!

The currently most requested artist at this painting reproduction site is Claude Monet! On their list of 36 paintings, there were 11 of his, almost 3 times more than any other artist.

No one yet has guessed their single most requested painting over the past decade, so keep them coming.

Another clue: It's a landscape. That should make it real easy.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 11:27 am

Congrats Callie! cheers

David, that's so interesting that it's Monet. Callie is going to love those smiley faces. Laughing

Thank you for the clue! I'm still clueless but I'll choose my favourite Gleaners at Rest by John Ottis Adams.

BTW David this is a lot of fun. Thank you! Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 11:50 am

Dang! My next guess was going to be Ed Hopper - Nighthawks.
But thanks for feeding my smiley addiction! Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? 512790

Does this landscape have 2 people in it? Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? Icon_bounce
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 11:55 am

Just noticed - last decade. I think that rules out the one I had in mind. I'll throw Van Gogh out there again - ***Starry Night***
Back to top Go down
dbclemons

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 6:29 pm

Callie wrote:
...Van Gogh out there again - ***Starry Night***

And she wins round two!!! We're not worthy! How about a month's supply of "sunny" faces?Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? Icon_sunny If you squint hard enough it'll look like a sunflower. Don't use them all at once now.

Here's a link to the original notice I first read about all this:
http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp?int_sec=2&int_new=35576

Van Gogh had both #1 and #2 on the list.

You can see their current list of "most polular" here:
http://www.overstockart.com/bestsellers1.html#top

Just to be clear, I'm absolutely not in any way endorsing their site or what they offer. Far from it, actually. I thought it would be a fun guessing game, however.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 6:55 pm

Wow Callie you're good at this. Congrats again and enjoy your "sunny faces".

David it was a fun game. Thank you! Smile

You're giving us some ideas for an ongoing game with somewhat of the same theme. Thank you for that as well!

I checked out the site and very interesting to see which paintings are the best sellers
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks, David - I'll add those to my smiley collection! Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? Icon_flower Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? Icon_sunny Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? Icon_sunny Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? Icon_sunny

Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? 56950I don't know why I didn't think of VG Starry Night right away for single big seller, since I already thought of him for the most popular artist Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? Icon_scratch
Well, David, you have inspired us! We're going to cook up some sort of name the artist game. In the meantime, feel free to throw another challenge at us! Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? Icon_sunny

Janet - we posted at the same time! That calls for another smiley! Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 7:09 pm

David, look what you started Callie has gone overboard on the smileys. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?   Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions? Empty

Back to top Go down

Favorite Artist for Painting Reproductions?
Page 1 of 1