Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cactus Halo

Go down 
+2
acadianartist
judyfilarecki
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

Cactus Halo - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 7:26 pm

The halo is looking great! I'm for adding some rusty colours - I think it will give it some depth and make the saguaros come alive.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Thanks, Sofie, that seems to be the consensus. I'll just have to do some other painting to experiment with a very limited palette.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Donna Pierce-Clark

Donna Pierce-Clark

Location Location : Springfield, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 8:19 am

I agree with Sofie----added depth.
Although, it IS nice right now.
But, I guess i want to see the glazes at work.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 12:53 pm

I've been experimenting on my palette with different glazes. I have a cad orange which makes everything too brown. I tried raw sienna which brought our the lighter green and yellow green which would work in area where light hits the cactus. I tried burnt sienna and this looks like it would be good for the darker areas where the green is naturally darker. later today, I'll maybe get brave enough to start some of the glazes.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 1:37 pm

Judy, sounds like a good idea to try out the glazes. I'm looking forward to seeing your next update. Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 3:00 pm

I did some glazing today with burnt sienna and raw sienna. The blue still stands out quite a bit, but as i add layers, I'm sure it will become less blue and more greens and browns.

Cactus Halo - Page 2 Halo410
Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 7:43 pm

Excellent! That's looking a lot more interesting already Cactus Halo - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 7:48 pm

Wow Judy the colors you've added so far are looking great! A feast for the eyes! Smile
Back to top Go down
Donna Pierce-Clark

Donna Pierce-Clark

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 11:35 pm

Oh, my!
How GORGEOUS.
It sparkles in the foreground!!
I like this!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 11:43 pm

Thanks you all,
Still lots of blue to cover, but I want some of it to be greens and other to be dark brownish green. Maybe tomorrow.
judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 3:20 am

I like what you've done so far, judy. The extra touch of colour looks great. Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 2:17 pm

Here's the finished painting. I'm glad you all talked me out of just leaving it blue. I like it much better this way.

Cactus Halo - Page 2 Halo510

Just as I was putting the finishing touches on, Mozert went flying through my palette ( thank goodness it wasn't across my painting.) I had to take some time out to wash off the cobalt blue and lemon yellow (which does make green). He wasn't real happy when I had to put him in the shower and use the hand held shower to wash him off. Of course, I got as wet as he did and got a few hints of color on my shirt. You can tell how happy he was by the blurred tail that was wagging rapidly.

Cactus Halo - Page 2 Wetmoz10

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 4:59 pm

This is very nice, Judy! Cactus Halo - Page 2 Icon_cheers The sunlight on the cacti and colors in the foreground make it glow. It really gives the sensation of looking into the sun.
I'm glad Mozart didn't get to put his "signature" on it! Cactus Halo - Page 2 Icon_lol Cactus Halo - Page 2 Icon_cat
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 5:55 pm

I'm glad I wasn't using oils or I never would have gotten the cobalt blue off and he might have licked off and poisoned himself.

I'm glad you like the painting. There is actually a lot of color in the cactus also, but the camera didn't catch it.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Well done, Judy. I like the way the light hits the undergrowth and tinges it with bronze!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 6:02 pm

Thanks Sofie,

I'm really happy with it. I all ready have a place to hang it. It goes really well with the windmill painting I have showing in my signature.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Judy, Wow! Very beautiful! I love the variation in colors that you were able to acheive. Colors that sign. Laughing Cats really don't like water.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 1:26 am

Nice bold composition Judy. I like the reds you've gotten into the greens. Do you draw inspiration from Georgia O'Keeffe's work?
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks Tommy and Janet,

I've never really studied anybody else's works. I always just paint from what catches my eye. I always have my camera with me so I don't miss an inspirational moment. So many if the are so fleeting that I depend on my camera to catch the moment.

I keep threatening to do some plein air, but haven't yet. One day.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Donna Pierce-Clark

Donna Pierce-Clark

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 4:53 pm

Judy, it is absolutely beautiful. I glows!!
The contrast of the warm and cool colors is just right!!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 3:05 pm

Thanks donna. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 11:15 am

Judy - be sure to post the final pic over in the finished paintings Cactus Halo - Page 2 120968
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanks Callie,
I never thought of that. I'll do it now.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Halo   Cactus Halo - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cactus Halo
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2