Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cactus Flowers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Cactus Flowers Empty
PostSubject: Cactus Flowers   Cactus Flowers EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 7:20 pm

Several years ago, my one sister came to visit me from South Carolina. She wondered how I could live out here. "Didn't I miss the green?"

It was March, so it was just before all the cacti and wild flowers would start blooming. Here are two of the paintings I did from plants in my yard in April.

The first is from a photo I took of the side of one paddle of a cactus in my side yard. Each paddle is about 10 x 12 inches and the plant is 10 feet tall. This is just one of the paddles.

Cactus Flowers Cactus10It is on a 16 x 20 stretched canvas. (I wish I had done it as an oval..oh well.) It was all done with WN Artisan brand, but it is too long ago to remember the palette. When I took the picture, it was so beautiful, I almost didn't paint it. I never figured I could capture the beauty of all the colors and different stages of the flowers and the translucency of the top flower. I decided to do a small 5 x 7 in pastels on a velour paper as a test. It was so beautiful, I ended up doing the bigger version. (sorry about the copyright being so dark, I was in a rush.)

The second one is from plants in my front yard the same year. I had never done a landscape, only mostly birds, and my customers were asking for some. This is my first "landscape" which included my birds, the gambel's quail of southern Arizona.

Cactus Flowers Gambel11 This was done on a 24 x 30 inch stretched canvas. I made most of my frames so this one was made with Vermont Red Cedar and I bought linen coverd molding for the inner frame. This also was done with WN Artisans.

I sent my sister some pictures of my front and side yard in April so she could see all the color in the desert. I did admit that I would not want to be here in the middle of the summer when it is 112 degrees, but I also would not want to be in Northern NY in the winter anymore, where it gets to 20 to 30 below zero.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

Cactus Flowers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cactus Flowers   Cactus Flowers EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 7:58 pm

Judy, very nice paintings! Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

Cactus Flowers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cactus Flowers   Cactus Flowers EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 10:20 pm

That cactus painting is WOW! Love the way the flowers catch the light!
The quails in the desert are very nice, too Cactus Flowers 120968
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Cactus Flowers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cactus Flowers   Cactus Flowers EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 11:26 pm

Thanks Callie and Janet,

I'm tempted to take the cactus flowers off the rectangular frame and re-stretch it on an oval one. I'm jst not sure if that is wise. I might damage the painting. I hve matted prints of it in an oval and they really look great.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn

Location Location : Uniontown Mo

Cactus Flowers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cactus Flowers   Cactus Flowers EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 10:34 am

Those are beautiful. I would not mess with your original but you can have it printed on canvas paper and stretch that on an oval, if you spray it with a fixative you can embellish it with a little paint and it will look great, then you don’t have to worry about messing with the original.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Cactus Flowers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cactus Flowers   Cactus Flowers EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 10:37 am

I never thought about that. Thanks for the idea. I have a place here in Tucson that does a really good job with canvas prints so I might look into it.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

Cactus Flowers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cactus Flowers   Cactus Flowers EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 9:33 pm

great colours in both paintings, Judy. I love how the two birds are talking to each other.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Cactus Flowers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cactus Flowers   Cactus Flowers EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:36 pm

Thanks Sofie,
Actually, the mother on the right is yelling at the kids while the father keeps an eye for hawks. They usually have 13 to 14 chicks, but only 2 to 3 survive because of predators. They are really fascinating birds and mate for life.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cactus Flowers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cactus Flowers   Cactus Flowers Empty

Back to top Go down

Cactus Flowers
Page 1 of 1