Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?

Go down 
+13
JanG
rboyce
ftariqtx
ronnie65
kopo
Song Dog
Sofie
DAK723
judyfilarecki
kbaxterpackwood
Dale
Janet
Callie
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils? - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2014 9:23 am

Dominique, try using only the Walnut medium…. just a teeny tiny… you will have to experiment and DO NOT use water at all during painting… that will make it gummy… the only way to avoid gumminess is to not use water during the painting at all… just use it for washing…
Back to top Go down
brushstrokebliss

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 1:25 am

I see we are revisiting mediums again. Finally enjoying painting again. In the beginning, it was the mediums that caused me all the problems. I find that the paints often have compatibility issues so I stay with my brands of choice - Holbein Duo mostly, some Cobra colors and the occasional in a pinch Lukas Berlin. I stay away from anything student grade as I want full pigment. It's easier to get better results and there are more pure toned pigment paints in the artist's line for easier mixing of colors.

Although I do not use much medium at all any more, for the final stages, I may use some to glaze or need to thin a paint for fine details. I use MGraham Walnut Oil Alkyd. Someone told me to oil out a painting once for easier blending in sky and water and I did that. I found that even though I used very little oil and carefully wiped the excess off, drippings appeared along the way, which was a disaster. I do not oil out anymore but will repaint an area if I have to blend into it. The whole deal for me in oils is anything is fixable so don't stress, like I did with acrylics. It's relax and enjoy it.

I have tried other mediums and unfortunately I seem to be really allergic to all the rest. The Holbein smells bad and the Cobra works the first time and after that it gets sticky. W/N is not compatible in my opinion with my brands. The MGraham regular Walnut Oil or the one with the added alkyd in it are the only ones I use (Janet gave a good tip of mixing half water half linseed, but I like the Walnut oil based mediums better.) No smell but I still wash my hands well and often if I use them.

Wishing you all Happy Painting, bliss
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 10:54 am

Glad to see you again. I'm with you on the walnut oil, but, unfortunately, the walnut alkyd triggers my asthma and so I only use it outside and then be sure it is in a separate, closed room to dry.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Paul32205

Paul32205

Location Location : North Florida

PostSubject: GESSO LIQUITEX works great paint wet. Colors will blend and mix if you want them too.   What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils? - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 23, 2015 8:22 pm

Callie wrote:
As water soluble oils have become more common, so have various oils and mediums for them. One can now find ws thinner, stand oil, safflower and linseed oils, alkyds (quick-dry), impasto gel, glazing medium and varnishes.
Let's compare painting methods - what types of mediums do you use, what brands do you like?

Share your experience and suggestions, or ask a question!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils? - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 24, 2015 10:48 am

Welcome to the forum, Paul.
This is interesting. Are you using a clear gesso so it doesn't alter the color? Also, the gesso is usually an acrylic and it has always been my understanding that you don't mix an acrylic into water-soluble oils but you can paint over dry ones. do you get any cracking on the paint once it dries? I'll have to experiment with this. Thank you for your input.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 4:16 pm

Holbein DUO's claim that you can mix their water mixable oils with Acrylics with no problems, but I've never cared to try it. I guess it would be considered a mixed medium painting. None of the other water mixable oils have made this claim, so I definitely wouldn't try it with anything but Holbein DUO's. I hope this works out for you. Happy painting!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils? - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 10:12 am

Paul, what brands of WS Oils are you using?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?   What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

What mediums (if any) do you use with ws oils?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3