Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mediums for Water Soluble Oils

Go down 
+2
Crystal1
MistyIslanddd
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MistyIslanddd

Mediums for Water Soluble Oils Empty
PostSubject: Mediums for Water Soluble Oils   Mediums for Water Soluble Oils EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 6:39 pm

I have been using the WN linseed oil as my medium for WS oils. I also have WN watersoluble painting medium. The linseed oil makes everything very glossy. It is not an attractive look, in my opinion. Would the WN watersoluble painting medium be more matte? I have been hesitant to use it.

Thanks for any reply.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Mediums for Water Soluble Oils   Mediums for Water Soluble Oils EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 10:52 pm

I think that the WN Thinner would probably make your paintings less glossy...there is very little oil in the thinner.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Mediums for Water Soluble Oils   Mediums for Water Soluble Oils EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 8:04 am

WN medium is meant to add oil to the paint, and to make it easier to handle. The WN thinner "dilutes" the paint, if I can use that term...and makes it more lean. Be careful how you apply these liquids and what you use them for. I learned that if you don't keep aware of the "fat over lean" rule while painting, your painting can crack while it cures.

The final varnish that you apply to the finished painting six months to a year after finishing it can give the painting an overall gloss, satin or matte finish, depending on which WN varnish you use.
Back to top Go down
dbclemons

Location Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Mediums for Water Soluble Oils   Mediums for Water Soluble Oils EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 9:03 am

MistyIslanddd wrote:
...Would the WN watersoluble painting medium be more matte?...

No, the "Painting Medium" is made to be even more glossy than the linseed oil medium. Using water or thinner can make the paint less glossy but also leaner, so it should only be used in the initial layers. You might also be using more oil than necessary.

If you're looking for a more matte medium there are other options. You could mix together egg yolk and oil. Casein will also mix with oil and look somewhat matte. Shiva makes a "casein emulsion" or you can make your own. Another option is "cold wax" medium, although that uses regular solvents that you may want to avoid. Yet another medium mixture is methylcellulose and oil. There are some details about these at my website:
http://www.dbclemons.com/articles.htm

To make an egg yolk & oil medium mix equal parts yolk, oil, and water. Break the yolk membrane in a bowl as though making tempera, slowly add the same amount of oil to the yolk while stirring, and then add that same amount of water and stir. Store this in the fridge, or if you want to keep it for longer than a few days add a few drops of white vinegar or a couple drops of clove oil.

All these mediums are water soluble and also speed up the drying time.
Back to top Go down
MistyIslanddd

PostSubject: Re: Mediums for Water Soluble Oils   Mediums for Water Soluble Oils EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 9:39 am

Thank you everyone for all of the thoughtful answers.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Mediums for Water Soluble Oils   Mediums for Water Soluble Oils EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 11:16 am

Quote :
All these mediums are water soluble and also speed up the drying time.

Thanks David for such great information. The yolk, oil and water may be just the answer I'm looking for, for a fast drying medium, since the walnut alkyd I tried bothers my breathing. I can still use the plain walnut oil as my oil choice for the mixture instead of WSO linseed oil, I'm assuming.
Back to top Go down
dbclemons

PostSubject: Re: Mediums for Water Soluble Oils   Mediums for Water Soluble Oils EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 7:54 am

judyfilarecki wrote:
...I can still use the plain walnut oil as my oil choice for the mixture instead of WSO linseed oil, I'm assuming.

Yes, egg will mix with walnut oil. Don't know if it would work with an alkyd but it wouldn't be necessary then.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Mediums for Water Soluble Oils   Mediums for Water Soluble Oils EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 8:47 am

Great, I'll give it a try.

Judy
Back to top Go down
new to oils

PostSubject: Re: Mediums for Water Soluble Oils   Mediums for Water Soluble Oils EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi David,

That's a great tip and recipe! I like a matte finish, I'll definitely want to try this out. Which oil should I use in this recipe? Or does it matter? I'm assuming different oils may add different qualities to the mixture.....so what do you recommend?
Back to top Go down
dbclemons

PostSubject: Re: Mediums for Water Soluble Oils   Mediums for Water Soluble Oils EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 8:54 am

new to oils wrote:
...Which oil should I use in this recipe? Or does it matter? I'm assuming different oils may add different qualities to the mixture.....so what do you recommend?

It doesn't matter in terms of how they mix with egg or the matte appearance to the paint. Semi-drying oils like poppy, safflower, or walnut are lighter weight oils than linseed, and over time have less of a tendency to change tone, but it's not something you'll notice while applying paint. Certain brands also use different additives that effect the consistency but that's not related to the oil itself. Linseed oil is the best to use at the start of the painting if you want to mix different types of oil, otherwise use the same type all the way through each layer.
Back to top Go down
new to oils

PostSubject: Re: Mediums for Water Soluble Oils   Mediums for Water Soluble Oils EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 1:58 pm

Thank you David!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mediums for Water Soluble Oils   Mediums for Water Soluble Oils Empty

Back to top Go down

Mediums for Water Soluble Oils
Page 1 of 1