Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oils on Paper

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kbaxterpackwood

kbaxterpackwood

Location Location : Iowa

Oils on Paper Empty
PostSubject: Oils on Paper   Oils on Paper EmptyThu May 27, 2010 11:54 pm

I went to Art at a Whirl in Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago now and noticed a trend of artists painting on paper instead of canvas. And by paper I'm talking Rives BFK and also an assortment of water color papers.

I'm thinking for field painting this may be the way to go, as I can tape them to thin plywood ahead of time and and then slip them into my panel box to tote back home.

So aside from gesso what do I need to do to protect the paper from the oil paints?

Kimberly
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Oils on Paper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oils on Paper   Oils on Paper EmptyFri May 28, 2010 12:41 pm

Wow! I've never tried paper, no less watercolor paper which is so absorbent. My thoughts would be that I would use three coats of clear gesso so the grain of the paper shows through. If you don't want the grain showing then 3 coats of white of black would probably work. I would be sure to have all edges securely taped to a board before applying the gesso so the paper does not curl.

I'll have to give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes.

Judy
Back to top Go down
dbclemons

Location Location : Texas

Oils on Paper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oils on Paper   Oils on Paper EmptySat May 29, 2010 8:50 am

You don't have to use acrylic gesso but it will need to be sized. I prefer dewaxed clear shellac that I make myself. Only a couple coats is required to protect the paper from oil penetration, and no water is required that would distort the paper. Once shellac dries after a few hours it can be lightly sanded and painted on.

You can also size with either hide glue or an acrylic medium. Those involve water so you'd have to stretch the paper first, and you'd need to lay down 3-4 coats, making sure the water has completely evaporated after a couple days before painting.

There are also several brands of commercially prepared papers on the market you can try that are typically treated with an acrylic size. Test them to see if any oil penetrates. If so, add 1-2 more coats of size.

I wouldn't recommend keeping them loose for very long since the dried oil needs something to keep it flat, such as a frame or being mounted to a panel, even just taping them to foamcore for storage.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

Oils on Paper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oils on Paper   Oils on Paper EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:19 am

Hi Kimberly! I've used paper in the past but thicker paper and just one coat of gesso but they were only studies so I think the advice is a better idea. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oils on Paper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oils on Paper   Oils on Paper Empty

Back to top Go down

Oils on Paper
Page 1 of 1