A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Using Canvas "Paper" On My Easel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rsue

PostSubject: Using Canvas "Paper" On My Easel   Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:14 pm

Hello! Before I embark on regular canvas painting I want to test out my WSOs, technique, etc. on canvas "paper". I have a full sized easel and want to use it - I really have no flat surface to paint on. Is there something like a hard board (gesso board?) that I can tape the canvas paper to and use the easel just as if I was painting on a regular canvas board? I can rig up something but maybe something already exists for this purpose. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Using Canvas "Paper" On My Easel   Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:34 am

There's a thread on oil paper here:

arches oil painting paper

You can use it like you would watercolor paper and tape it to a board or just use push-pins with Gator board or something. You could even use a piece of cardboard as long as you don't permanently affix it. Get creative!
Back to top Go down
Rsue

PostSubject: Re: Using Canvas "Paper" On My Easel   Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:15 am

Thanks for your answers, Jan! Yes, I already figured out something to do with the canvas paper. I just wondered about whether certain backings would be counter-productive to the canvas paper (e.g. acid-wise, etc.). I found a hard board on Blick that looks like it would fit the bill. As for the white paint, I read (on another site - I think it is Wet Canvas) that some very different and significant effects are achieved with some of the whites. I can't remember, however, if these were related only to traditional oils or not. I think someone mentioned liking "lead" white a lot, but it seems that this paint is no longer used, or is combined with something else (dues to the lead/health concerns). Some of the differences included opacity, tint, etc. So many of the manufacturers offer whites under different names and I can't tell anything about them. At least with traditionals most people are familiar with flake, lead, titanium, etc. In WSOs it seems that the only constant when it comes to white paint, is the titanium. The rest of the "whites" offered by the different manufacturers are up for grabs to someone re-entering the paint field after so many years, not knowing how all these different whites present on a canvas! Which is why I was hoping someone who uses WSOs could tell me the name of one of these other whites that they like, and why!
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Using Canvas "Paper" On My Easel   Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:54 pm

I use the Titanium white in the W&N water mixables, haven't tried any other 'colour' of white... hope this helps Smile

PostSubject: Re: Using Canvas "Paper" On My Easel   Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:59 pm

Yes, thank you for your answers, WMG!!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Using Canvas "Paper" On My Easel   Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:30 pm

Titanium white is very opaque, while zinc is less opaque, so you might want to think about that. some people don't like the chalkiness. Here is a link to a demonstration comparing results. Also beĀ  sure to look at the comments because there is a great deal more information from other artists. I tended to use the zinc white more and did not have any problems with it.

http://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/t649-chalkiness-of-colors-lightened-with-white

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using Canvas "Paper" On My Easel   

Back to top Go down

Using Canvas "Paper" On My Easel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1