Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 5:33 pm

cheers Dale, Congratulations you've successfully solved the mystery! Thank you for the information on the artist and the title of the painting! Smile

The title of the painting is something that will be required as part of our next challenge and as mentioned above we'll be going with pieces of the painting and one clue.

This thread will remain open until tomorrow morning when the new challenge will be posted. Feel free to discuss this artist and add further links or information on this artist and/or this painting.

I found this site on Thomas Cole that I found really interesting: http://www.explorethomascole.org/

Callie, I think you're rite regarding the spear but it certainly would make an interesting country club. Shocked Lucky you to have been able to see his paintings in person. Do you find the photograph does the painting justice?
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 5:57 pm

The photos just don't do it. What I found really interesting was the amount of detail in most of the paintings. Even the really large ones (around 8ft x 12ft) had a lot of tiny brushstrokes - like individual leaves on foreground plants and trees - yet they don't look fiddly or over done.

It was also nice to see some of the smaller paintings and drawings done on location to be used for references. They really are complete works, every bit as detailed/finished as the larger paintings.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 7:10 pm

My goodness Janet. I think I could study those paintings in detail for hours - it is a wonderful site and such a great qay of exploring his technique and colours. Thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 10:48 pm

Callie, Thank you for sharing your experience! He must of had a lot of patience to put that much detail in such a large painting.

Dale, I'm glad you enjoyed the site. Everywhere I looked on that site I was finding new and interesting facts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene
Page 1 of 1