Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night Empty
PostSubject: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 9:57 am

The Art History Mystery Challenge

Welcome to our totally disorganized art museum! The challenge is to help us identify all the masterworks in our virtual museum. We'll post a piece of the painting and one clue to get you started. Can you name the artist and the title of the painting?

Pieces of the painting and clues to the artist's identity will be added every 24 hours until we have a winner, then the next painting in our collection will be posted. Feel free to use any resources at your disposal to help in your search. Challenge winners will receive a shiny award badge that we will add below their profile image. You will retain this award until someone else wins the award.

The AHM Challenge is open to all forum members, not just ws oil painters, so join in and have some fun with us!

If you would like to host a AHM Challenge painting; please send a PM to the Challenge Moderator Callie to receive instructions and notice when to post your painting. Be prepared to check in frequently while hosting a challenge!

The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night V8ilcg

Nationality = English

Last edited by Janet on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 8:14 am

The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night 331pnqp

Clue = born in 1840
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 7:36 pm

So far, the birth year is more hindrance than help! Rules out just about everyone.The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night Icon_tongue
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 7:46 pm

That's not good! The year of death will probably help. But the painting that I chose seems to not show up in a lot of places. So remember the thread I offered as resources. The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night Icon_wink

I'll need to put up the next piece of the puzzle and clue later tonight instead of tomorrow morning as I'm going to being going out of town for work first thing in the morning. Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 10:33 pm

The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night U4hw8

Clue = died 1905
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 12:38 pm

There's something very familiar about this. But none of the artists that I think it could be fit the birth/death year. Right period, just not those years The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 12:43 pm

Allright - Got it!

"Night" by Simeon Solomon

Funny how you can go through 30+ pages of Google images and not come across this or anything from the Art Renewal Center!

Saw this several times:
The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night Solomon20
Will look for pic and info for Night....
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 1:00 pm

Here's a good bio (with some other paintings of his):

http://www.artmagick.com/pictures/artist.aspx?artist=simeon-solomon&page=2#biography

Funny, I came across him when I first started looking. I assumed it was a portrait and started with pre-raphaelite painters because of the birth year and nationality. Then found that Solomon was born in 1840. Then gave up on Solomon because nothing matched the bit of painting shown here.The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night Icon_lol After the last hint, I typed in Victorian Painter died 1905 - and there he was again - of course, still no image that matched. Thanks for hinting at the ARC site!

http://www.artrenewal.org/pages/artwork.php?artworkid=18199&size=large
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 1:42 pm

I found the artist but not the art - congrats
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 pm

In all my searches, the only site that had the painting was the Art Renewal Center. Even the site I found his bio on didn't have that painting (it did have several others, including the one shown above that's similar).

....must go bookmark the ARC site The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night Icon_study
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 8:17 am

It's unusual that the ARC site doesn't come up in google searches. Congratulations Callie on finding the painting! This was a difficult one to find. I'll be posting a new one shortly. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night Empty

Back to top Go down

The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 11 Simeon Solomon - Night
Page 1 of 1