Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

August Down the Drain

Go down 
+2
Sofie
judyfilarecki
6 posters
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

August Down the Drain Empty
PostSubject: August Down the Drain   August Down the Drain EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 10:31 am

I can't believe August started and I didn't even realize it. I read that it was August but it didn't sink in. Anyway, if any of you have a painting to share that isn't quite what you want, we'd love to see it.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: August Down the Drain   August Down the Drain EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 1:39 pm

August Down the Drain 40823_421211565994_535710994_5279830_4161887_n

August Down the Drain 40415_421211640994_535710994_5279832_3430126_n

These two paintings went down the drain this month. They had both been repainted, keeping the composition but changing the colours at some point in their lives, but I wasn't happy with them. Both are 12"x16".

The one of the salmon waiting in the shallows is acrylic - I've now covered it by texturing it with gel and painting over it in white (I'm out of gesso) I'm going to have fun painting over it, using the texture to form the design of a bush, to which I will add some little birds.

The one of the river I covered over on Tuesday night with the painting of the old house.

I've got a few more paintings waiting for the axe to fall - and it will fall soon because I'm completely out of fresh canvases, and broke into the bargain. Wink
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: August Down the Drain   August Down the Drain EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 8:23 pm

Have to say that I liked the one on the river, but the new painting looks great. Good luck.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: August Down the Drain   August Down the Drain EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 1:46 am

I'm not sure if i see the salmonin the shallows, but I kind of like the swirling water of the first painting.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: August Down the Drain   August Down the Drain EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 2:06 am

Thanks Dayle. Smile

Judy, there are 5 - you can just see their backs breaking the surface - the water is that shallow.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: August Down the Drain   August Down the Drain EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 3:31 pm

Sofie - I'm here to keep you company Laughing
It was too hot/humid for a plein-air outing, so we painted some flowers at the coffee shop this morning. I am really no good at wet in wet painting - what a struggle this was! I'll consider it practice for plein-air painting, and wipe this canvas off so it can be used again:

August Down the Drain Zinnia10

All the blobby flower type things are supposed to be zinnias flower
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: August Down the Drain   August Down the Drain EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 8:33 pm

Callie, It is not so bad. they look like zinnias with their bright colors.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: August Down the Drain   August Down the Drain EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 2:01 am

Callie, I like the vase and stems....I also thought it's not worth going down the drain....it's a quiet painting.....maybe I'm not seeing it like you are?August Down the Drain Sad_se10

Although I understand when you don't like a piece -- it is nice to be able to scrub the canvas and paint over it, just sad to use all that good paint on it and then see it going down the drain.

Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: August Down the Drain   August Down the Drain EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 12:10 pm

Callie - I think all your painting needs is a little more contrast in places. If you wanted to work on it more you could end up with a lovely painting. But I understand wiping off a painting if you're not satisfied with it - i do that all the time. And it's not really a waste of paint because every time you paint anything it's a learning experience whether it turns out well or not.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: August Down the Drain   August Down the Drain EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 5:49 pm

I had thought that maybe after it dried some I could work some definition into the flowers, but I'm tempted to just smear it all around and have an interesting background for another painting geek Sofie - I agree, it's not really a waste of paint, just another opportunity to experiment and learn something for the next painting.
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: August Down the Drain   August Down the Drain EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 11:16 pm

I also agree it is a learning opportunity, yet I still struggle some with painting and it not working, but we can't be too hard on ourselves, as each time we are learning what works and doesn't, if we don't keep trying we can't grow.

Along with you Sofie and Callie I agree that with some contrast on the flowers it could be a nice piece...but then you have to like it enough to do that or not. I think it could work personally, but I am not seeing it through your eyes.

Be interesting to know what you decide?
Back to top Go down
betgee

Location Location : Tillsonburg, Ontario

PostSubject: Re: August Down the Drain   August Down the Drain EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 11:54 am

Callie - I have stared at your bouquet for awhile and all that sticks out for me is the black-eyed susans - not sure what it is about them but, to me, the rest is beautiful. Just my opinion and I know we all see things differently.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: August Down the Drain   August Down the Drain Empty

Back to top Go down

August Down the Drain
Page 1 of 1