Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

February Down The Drain

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

February Down The Drain Empty
PostSubject: February Down The Drain   February Down The Drain EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 10:05 am

February Down The Drain 82342 Here it is more than half way through the month, and I'm just starting this post. It's been a busy month for most of us. The only DTD painting I have had time to locate recently was the January Challenge of the Lily Pond. If you missed it in the challenge, here it is.

February Down The Drain Lilypo10

I guess I'm a failed post impressionist.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: February Down The Drain   February Down The Drain EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 12:30 pm

I don't think you failed at all. The dabs of paint are wonderful! I really like everything except for the reflections of the black in the water which I think just dabbing some of the water color over it here and their and letting the rest show through would have been a solution.

Yes it has been an extremely busy month for me as well. I've only painted one painting all month and it's a prime candidate for Down the Drain. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: February Down The Drain   February Down The Drain EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 12:34 pm

I hope you at least had some fun experimenting with it! I'm still working on my version of that lily pond pic - will probably put it aside for a while to start one of this month's challenge pics.
I like the left half of your painting with the reflections and lily pads. Just like with my version - the left side was OK, but the right half wasn't working. I decided to scrap those big rock reflections, rework the background some and show more water/reflections. I still need to paint over some clunky spots before I move on with it.
I think if you painted out the dark rock reflections and brought in some more lily pads (love the little bits of red) and sky reflections it might just keep this from going down the drain February Down The Drain Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: February Down The Drain   February Down The Drain EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 3:28 pm

I agree with Callie - the darf rocks are confusing. Perhaps put light reflections and lily pads on top of them so they run over the edge they may "sit down flatter"
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: February Down The Drain   February Down The Drain EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 5:17 pm

I had kind of given up on the whole thing, but I like all of your ideas. The rocks were definitely the weird thing that discouraged me from going on. I really like the ideas of covering portions of them with lilies and ripples of water. After I finish the quilt and the rose challenge, maybe I'll go back to it.

Thanks, Judy
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: February Down The Drain   February Down The Drain EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 10:59 am

February Down The Drain Miscellaneous_26Feb2010_0375

No this is not an art mystery challenge but the effects of recession causing need for economies.
Three years ago I was painting large. One painting I just unearthed and cut it into four. So for a long given up work will emerge four works of art.
At least that is the intention.
This is the advantage of painting on canvas panel rather than stretched canvas.
I decided to paint for four hours today. But !!!!!
Ah well!
artist
Jack
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: February Down The Drain   February Down The Drain EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 10:27 pm

Awesome. Good thing I am on a laptop - I can turn it upside down.

The hands are wonderful.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: February Down The Drain   February Down The Drain EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 9:34 am

Jack very interesting idea. The figure and person opening the door look very well painted.
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: February Down The Drain   February Down The Drain EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 11:42 am

Janet
I should have learned something. I painted my model Kari actually at the door. The man outside I painted from photo reference. Didn't work. So, much gnashing of teeth.
Crying or Very sad
Jack
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: February Down The Drain   February Down The Drain Empty

Back to top Go down

February Down The Drain
Page 1 of 1