Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.

Go down 
+5
dbclemons
acadianartist
Callie
Janet
judyfilarecki
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 8:29 pm

Callie, I'll pick up some Clove Oil. Thank you! Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Added advantage with the clove oil - it smells really nice when you take the lid off your palette Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. - Page 2 Icon_clown
Back to top Go down
kbaxterpackwood

kbaxterpackwood

Location Location : Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 2:04 am

Callie wrote:
Even if the cold wasn't an issue, I'd still stick with the clove oil. I don't usually have the room in the fridge or freezer. A little clove oil makes it possible to leave the palette anywhere and still have soft, workable paint.

Really what is clove oil exactly? Any brand I should look for? I have a health food grocery store about 8 blocks from me I bought my walnut oil there.

I have a masterson stay wet palette and have never had to add anything to my oils, but then again I've only been using them since about August/Sept of this year, summer could be an entirely different story on the quality of my oil paints.

Kimberly
Back to top Go down
kbaxterpackwood

kbaxterpackwood

Location Location : Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 2:08 am

Callie wrote:
I've just got one big one that I use for all the tubes:

Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. - Page 2 PlatedSteelWringer

I think I might get a few of those individual tube wringers for a few select colors - thanks, Judy!

I've only seen the plastic ones where did you find a metal one at?
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 5:31 pm

I got it from ASW on line.
You can find clove oil at health food stores and drugstores (Walgreen's) - they sell it for tooth aches. I don't mix it into my paints. Just put a few drops on a cotton ball or Q-tip and put it in the palette with the paints.
I've got one palette that I've been using for 3 weeks now, the paint is still soft.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 6:17 pm

Wow, three weeks is impressive. Ill have to check out the clove oil. It sounds even better than putting it in the refrigerator.

judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Judy - I picked up a baggie of those tube wringers at Dick Blick today. Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. - Page 2 120968
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:32 pm

Do you have a local Dick Blick Outlet? Wow, if you do.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 1:41 am

At one time we had 2. I'm lucky to be close to the remaining one and a very large (privately owned) art supply/framing store.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2