Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Paint dries darker?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Paint dries darker? Empty
PostSubject: Paint dries darker?   Paint dries darker? EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 6:14 am

Is it my imagination or does Winsor & Newton Artisan oils dry slightly darker in value? I'll go do a test but if anyone knows let me know. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Paint dries darker?   Paint dries darker? EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 8:38 am

I've never noticed a difference but I've only used the W&N a few times. I'm interested in knowing the results of your test. Good to know if their is a value shift.
Back to top Go down
dbclemons

Location Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Paint dries darker?   Paint dries darker? EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 9:12 am

From W&N technical information about Artisans:
"As water is added some colours will lighten in tone. This is due to an emulsion being formed. The colour will return to its original hue as the water evaporates. This colour change is reduced by the use of mediums in addition to water. The colour remains wet and workable after the evaporation of the water, like a conventional oil colour. "

Essentially the emulsion can create a foaming effect that makes the color look lighter than it actually is. The less water you use, the less noticeable it is, and is more apparant in the darker values. This can happen with other brands also.

If it's bothersome to you, you might consider trying W&N's miscible thinner instead of water.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Paint dries darker?   Paint dries darker? EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Thanks David. I hardly ever use water so I imagine my test with the oil medium will show little or no difference.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Paint dries darker?   Paint dries darker? EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 1:18 pm

I've never noticed that with the W&N oils. My first thought was mixing with water might be the cause (thanks for the info, David.).
Tommy - have you noticed it with all or just certain colors?
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Paint dries darker?   Paint dries darker? EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 12:40 am

I've used WN for yeaqrs and never noticed a difference. I never add water, though, i can't speak to that suggestion.

Judy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Paint dries darker?   Paint dries darker? EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 12:50 am

It's probably just my bias towards working too dark.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paint dries darker?   Paint dries darker? Empty

Back to top Go down

Paint dries darker?
Page 1 of 1