Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fundy Trail

Go down 
+4
judyfilarecki
Callie
Janet
Dale
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

Fundy Trail - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 2:17 am

There is a feeling of space and wilderness about this painting. The addition of figures or birds may spoil the impression of loneliness. Which seems to come through. At the moment the focal point is that light coloured bend.
Anyway, enough, I like it.
Jack
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 10:01 am

Hi Jack,

Good point. This is part of New Brunswick's beautiful Fundy Trail. But as it is close to the shore, there would normally be a few gulls. But I like your idea of leaving it wild looking. Maybe a small bird quite high?

No Tim Horton cups floating along?
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 4:48 pm

Fundy Trail - Page 2 Fyerm9Here is the next step after 3 hours last night.
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Wow. It's there or just about. I would expect to see a little, not much, sky reflection in the water.. But don't push your luck
Jack
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 9:02 pm

It's looking lovely - I can never get brown water looking like water, but you've got it mastered.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 9:13 pm

thanks for the encouragement.
Actually, in the photo there is a LOT of reflected light in the foreground. And it balances the light in the sky.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 8:34 am

Looks fantastic! I love your choice of colors in the trees and your use of soft and hard edges is perfect. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks Janet. I was viewing the painting on my camera and zoomed in and found a much better composition that I will try at a later date.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Fundy Trail - Complete   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 10:11 pm

I think I am done. I think I will do this painting again as I learned quite a bit from it.

1) Don't build-up paint where you don't want light glinting off little bits.
2) If you want water to look smooth. Paint it smoothly
3) Photos of light on water are NOT accurate and will drvie you nuts trying to copy
[img:bf09]https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/Fundy Trail - Page 2 Aqjoy[/img]
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 10:32 pm

That's wonderful! I just love how you do water Fundy Trail - Page 2 120968 ...everything else too - very nice!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 11:36 pm

It looks great. It reminds me of the Adirondacks where the water has a brownish cast all year even even though it is clear. They tell me the brown is from the decaying of the trees in it over the years.

Are you going to doa spring and summer version?

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 1:08 am

Beautiful! I love the greens in your trees - very natural.
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 4:47 am

Not only a fantastic painting, but it is highly professional. I think you should enter it in the next International Artist landscape challenge.
the wave
Jack
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 6:39 am

Thanks for all the nice comments. I never thought about entering it into any competitions. I am in an art show and sale on April 24th and have been doing all this painting, hoping that I will sell a few to have some mad money for my trip to England/Scotland. So, if I am lucky, they won't be around for any competitions.

I like the idea of painting this in different seasons. I will have to check with the photographer - David Little to see if he has/will have more.
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 8:57 am

With the International Artist you only require a photo. OI think
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 9:28 am

Dale, Fantastic painting! I can't pinpoint one thing that I like best. Everything is perfect! Thank you for the tips! Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 2:14 pm

kopo wrote:
Not only a fantastic painting, but it is highly professional. I think you should enter it in the next International Artist landscape challenge.
the wave
Jack

Jack, If you have any information on how to enter the International Artist Landscape challenge, we would appreciate it. You can post it as a new topic in "Extras"

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/extras-f16/

This is the forum we have created for just this purpose. If anyone else has some other contests to post, we would love to have the information.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 2:58 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have a subscription to International Artist, and the work in it seems miles ahead of mine (pun with the landscape)

Give me another year and i might consider.
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 3:22 pm

I don't subscribe to International Artist just buy it from the local newsagent. I have entered on two occasions, never got anywhere. But, it is possible that my name may register as persistent and open a door on some future occasion.
I can only say 'go for it', you may not gain any recognition but it could be the establishment of a future success.
Judy the information about entering the competition is online. Just google International Artist Magazine.
I will be entering an image or two in the next figurative competition, I am likely not to get anywhere, but then, I would kick myself if I hadn't tried.
In hope, for all of us
Jack
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks Jack,

I'll Google it and put information in EXTRA for people like myself who are not real familiar with things like International Artist, but may be interested in submitting some art work.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 11:31 am

[img]https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/works-in-progress-f7/Fundy Trail - Page 2 Fundy_10[/img]OK. I thought I was done, but I just wasn't happy with the water. Please let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Sometimes one has been on a journey and has seen a successful and worthy conclusion. This is one such time. Congratulations.
Jack
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks Jack. I wish the photos could do the painting more justice. Now on to painting St George's millstream
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 7:19 am

Dale, you did a fantastic job! I don't see anything wrong with the water.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Sold this to my mother-in-law last night.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fundy Trail   Fundy Trail - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fundy Trail
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next