Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Any tips for working Alla Prima

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

Any tips for working Alla Prima - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any tips for working Alla Prima   Any tips for working Alla Prima - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 11:37 am

I've never been able to work just one area and then move on to another. I have to get the canvas covered and then go back and forth all over it. Not good for alla-prima at all - it's easy to make mud doing that.
Whenever I've tried to finish one part of a painting at a time, it quickly begins to look like different people have been taking turns at it! Any tips for working Alla Prima - Page 2 Icon_lol I think the only reason the squash painting worked out was because it was so small, no room to fuss with anything.
I've seen one other artist's demo (can't remember who) where she began like the video above - no drawing beforehand, just started with the eyes and worked out from there. It's amazing to me that anyone can do that. I had to give it a try (once, several years ago), ended up with a rather disjointed Picasso-like face! Any tips for working Alla Prima - Page 2 Fresse
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Any tips for working Alla Prima   Any tips for working Alla Prima - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 9:59 pm

Any tips for working Alla Prima - Page 2 Lol Callie, I seem to lean toward one area at a time because I get lost otherwise. I seem to do the same thing with every medium I've used and always get the comment that I should work all over the painting. I know I couldn't paint without having a drawing first. Smile
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Any tips for working Alla Prima   Any tips for working Alla Prima - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 9:51 pm

Janet, you do a great job. Those videos are just great. Hard to believe there are people who can do the work these folks do. Just amazing. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Any tips for working Alla Prima   Any tips for working Alla Prima - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 11:01 pm

You're welcome Linus! I just love watching people paint. Every stroke can gives me tips and ideas on how to approach my own paintings. I have a long way to go before I have the confidence and skill that these artists display but it certainly is fun learning. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any tips for working Alla Prima   Any tips for working Alla Prima - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Any tips for working Alla Prima
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2