Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A White Rose For England

Go down 
+2
Sofie
Janet
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

A White Rose For England - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 12:09 am

Thanks Janet. I'm getting a variety of surface paint thickness. I wasn't paying close attention when I applied the paint. The light bounces off of the surface differently. Not sure if I like it. Small thing I suppose but I like an even paint film.

Judy I feel a little old fashioned with all the detail but I like it. I used 2 flats for the city.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:26 am

I know that Callie sands down areas on her painting to make corrections I wonder if that would work for uneven surface paint thickness. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 10:35 am

I sometimes think sand paper is my favorite "paint brush"! One thing I do (quite often), when the paint is still wet, is lay a paper towel over the area that's gotten too thick and press it to blot up some of the paint. I like an even paint film, too. A White Rose For England - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
The second painting reminds me of Maxfield Parrish, especially the clouds and sky over the tree tops.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 10:42 am

Too late for the towel but I might try the sandpaper after it dries. This small(ish) painting (40x28) is my learning piece.

Callie I've always been a Parrish fan so I'm surprised about the influence. I have 9 parrish books.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 2:08 pm

I've got a bunch of Parrish books, too. When I was first learning to paint he was my very favorite artist. He's still up there, but I've had to add many more along with him.

Here's part of a Parrish scene (if anyone is unfamiliar with him):

A White Rose For England - Page 2 M-parr10

Not a very good photo, but I like the way your clouds come billowing up over the distant hills, and the way you've done the tree foliage - it really reminded me of Parrish A White Rose For England - Page 2 Icon_wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 3:33 pm

Wow I swear I know just about every Parrish painting on the planet but I don't know this one Callie. Which is it?
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 4:55 pm

I snagged it off the web - no info given. I was wondering about that, too. Maybe it's from his "retirement" when he was painting out west. Maybe it's not really one of his A White Rose For England - Page 2 Icon_lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 5:25 pm

Sure looks like his work. It's a detail so I'll keep an eye out for the painting. Always a treat to find a Parrish I haven't seen before cause there are so very few left I haven't seen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 5:32 pm

No, I'm going out on a limb here and say this isn't a Parrish. The tree is very good - very Parrish but the rest seems too modern. Fascinating nontheless.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 5:34 pm

His style reminds me of some of my paintings. I'll have to research him and see what other work of his you are both thrilled with.

Back to topic. Have you figured out yet how you are going to finish the White Rose painting?

Judy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 5:38 pm

I'm leaning towards isolating the color to the figure Judy. But I'm still sitting on it.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 5:53 pm

Tommy - found it!

http://www.artnet.com/Galleries/Artists_detail.asp?gid=111866&aid=13113

OK, back to White Rose!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 5:59 pm

I sit corrected. Never saw this one before. I have JUNE SKIES but it doesn't look quite like this version. Interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 6:04 pm

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=parrish june skies&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

So much for my expertise. LOL
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 9:59 am

Tommy, I see the Parish incfluence as well. How's the small landscape coming along? Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 10:04 am

I got a commercial assignment Janet so all painting is on hold until after the 25th. More Christmas illustrations for next year. MERRY CHRISTMAS!! HO HO HO Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 10:09 am

Chtistmas!! Wow some people really start early! Laughing To put you in the mood. santa christmas Good luck with your assignment! Smile
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 9:07 am

Wonderful work Tommy, same for your other works.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 10:10 am

Thanks Linus - I try.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 2:29 pm

Just nosing around the empty forum halls... thought I'd ask how the White Rose painting was coming along?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 3:29 pm

A White Rose For England - Page 2 Dsc_4811
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 3:31 pm

Hey Callie, finished roughing in the grass. Only need final finishing. Had to shelve for a while to make some money.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 3:35 pm

This is going to be so beautiful. I love the posture of the little girl with her arms behind her back looking out over such a glorious view.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks for the update, Tommy. This is stunning!
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 8:36 am

Wow your painting is coming along great! The girl looks wonderful!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A White Rose For England   A White Rose For England - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A White Rose For England
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2