Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

more trees

Go down 
+2
Janet
Sofie
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

more trees Empty
PostSubject: more trees   more trees EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 4:36 am

more trees 19075_244393765994_535710994_3773039_86609_n

I'm working on a series of trees from Filberg Park. I have a 20x20 square canvas that I decided would work for this chestnut tree, so for my daily mini painting a couple of days ago I tried the scene out for practice.

more trees 19075_242256155994_535710994_3762780_871764_n

Yesterday at my painting group, I decided on the composition and then drew the trees in with watercolour pencil. I should have prepped my canvas first with some underpainting and I was worried I'd lose my drawing by painting a wash over the w/c pencil, so I went over it all with a fine, artist quality permanent marker. Then I washed in some warm tones and lightly coloured in the tree trunks and branches. I used cad yellow hue with magenta and odourless thinner for the wash, in places I added a bit of dioxanine purple. I used the same yellow and purple for the foreground trees and phthalo green and the purple for the background trees.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

more trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: more trees   more trees EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 8:47 am

Sofie the mini is very nice. I'm really liking the large one so far. You're getiing some great three dimensional for on the trees and the colors are looking great! Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

more trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: more trees   more trees EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 11:24 am

I'm looking forward to seeing this come along. This is a prime example of a scene I would look at and think there's nothing there to paint, then someone else comes along and whips out this really engaging picture. Great start!
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

more trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: more trees   more trees EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 6:24 pm

more trees 19075_244392120994_535710994_3773036_5220098_n

Thanks Janet and Callie. Smile I continued on painting in the trunks and branches with similar browns to the ones I'd washed in, using cooler, lighter tones in the further ones to give distance. I adjusted the horizon line and started blocking in the background and throwing patches of sky that will end up showing through the leaves. Some of the trunks looked dull and lifeless so I added magenta touches to spark them up.

more trees 19075_244392125994_535710994_3773037_3734119_n

Here is the next step. I put in all the grassy area with lemon yellow, mixing it on the canvas with the green that had been put down when I adjusted the horizon, and the brown and magenta shadows I'd smudged in under the trees. Then I developed the background a bit more, leaving alone the area that would be taken up by the leaves of the chestnut in the foreground.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

more trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: more trees   more trees EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 7:02 pm

The colors you've added are looking great! Thank you for sharing your process! Smile
Back to top Go down

more trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: more trees   more trees EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 1:13 am

I love the lighting and the color Sofie. It's a real gentle painting but gutsy at the same time. Interesting style. Kind of an art deco/impressionism.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

more trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: more trees   more trees EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 2:18 am

Thanks Janet and Tommy - it's great to have your feedback. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

more trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: more trees   more trees EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 7:45 pm

more trees 19075_244392130994_535710994_3773038_1292634_n

Here's how it looks now that I've got the leaves in. It needs to dry for a few days before I can do any fine-tuning.

I found it very frustrating painting this painting because the canvas was very smooth and the paint slid all over it. I prefer a more absorbent canvas with some tooth to it. Because of this I had to approach the painting differently than I'd intended. I think it will work, though. i'm going away for a week and when I get back it should be dry enough for me to pick the leaves out better, especially where they cover areas of branch and trunk. I also want to brighten the pieces of sky a bit.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

more trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: more trees   more trees EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 11:24 pm

Sofie, the greens you've added look great! I'm with you on liking a more absobent canvas with some tooth. I'm finding the same thing with the Fredrix Canvas pad that I'm using but with every painting I think I'm getting use to it. Just will take some adjustments in my usual methods including the way I use my medium. Looking forward to your next update! Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

more trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: more trees   more trees EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 10:11 pm

Sofie,

Your painting is coming along beautifully. I haven't been on this entry before this so it is totally fascinating to watch the progression. i was anticipating it being a fall painting with the one you showed before you added the greens. I love what you are doing with the tree trunks. they ar ejust coming alive.

Have a good trip.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Linus

more trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: more trees   more trees EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 9:22 am

Love your impressions Sophie. I see you keep busy.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

more trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: more trees   more trees EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 12:40 pm

Sophie, I love the light through the woods. I was looking at some Homer Winslow art with the same feeling.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

more trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: more trees   more trees EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Thanks everybody. Smile

I haven't had time to get back to this painting yet as I put my daily paintings and the rest of my cottage windows series on high priority. My show opens on March 2 and I've got a lot to do, which isn't surprising as I'm a great procrastinator. I'll be working on my tree paintings during the show as I'll be at the gallery painting every day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

more trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: more trees   more trees Empty

Back to top Go down

more trees
Page 1 of 1