Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

January Challenge

Go down 
+4
Sofie
judyfilarecki
Janet
Callie
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

January Challenge - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 6:46 pm

I was just looking over the photos and trying to think of what to do with the flowers, decided to take a break and check in here.... and there they are!
I'm glad you had fun with it, it worked out well. The bits of lighter, brighter red on the flowers (and yellow in the white flowers) is a nice touch, as is the warmer reddish colors in the upper left. I really like the way the paint moves and swirls around the flowers.
Looking forward to seeing what you do next!
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 7:06 pm

Thank you Callie! I didn't acheive the satuaration levels I was going for but I know what went wrong. Next I'll try out those apples again trying for loose and intense colors. Thank you again for this challenge it's helping break out of too stiff a style which I was falling into and not enjoying. Smile

Last edited by Janet on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 7:27 pm

I like the way you did the flowers. I wqs looking at them, but didn't quite figure out how to do them. I'm getting ready to start the landscape.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Thank you Judy! Looking forward to seeing your landscape! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Nice job on the flowers, Janet. I really like the loose style - it works well for post impressionism. Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 8:35 am

Thank you Sofie! Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 2:25 pm

Well here is my disastrous try at being a post-impressionistic landscape artists. This one is definitely headed for the Down the Drain or most likely the trash bin instead because I am too embarrassed to post it twice. I've called it Lily Pond Maybe???

January Challenge - Page 3 Lilypo10

Judy cyclops geek
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 4:53 pm

But wasn't it fun to paint with wild abandon? January Challenge - Page 3 Icon_flower Or maybe that's the problem - not wild enough! The bottom left corner is nice with the lily pads and reflection. If it really bothers you, maybe you could use it as an underpainting and keep going with more details and refinements.
Do not post this in the Down the Drain section!!!! January Challenge - Page 3 Icon_evil Give it a chance!
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 5:54 pm

I agree with Callie. the lily pads look good and the tree reflected in the water works very well.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 5:58 pm

I just haven't figured out what those two dark lumps on the right. maybe I should go back and look at the unfiltered pictue, but then I'll probably ge losty in detail again.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Judy, I think you did a great job with the post-impressionistic look. Very nice brushwork. If I filter a reference I usually go back to the original toward the end for the finishing touches. Smile

Last edited by Janet on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 7:02 pm

I think they're reflections of rocks. But you could make them trees, or even leave them out.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 2:18 pm

Thanks Callie and Janet,

I don't think I want to work on it any further. I'm getting ready to start a mill and waterfalls that I've wanted to do for a long time. It's going to be 24 x 30 and it is from a photo a friend of mine took. I will not be sharing the photo since he sells prints of his photography, and this is one of his best sellers.

I will share the progress in WIP once I start it.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Got started on the girl's portrait today. Here's the beginning sketch and then some colors scrubbed on:

January Challenge - Page 3 Portra10 January Challenge - Page 3 Portra11

12 x 12 in. stretched canvas
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Looks good. I'm curious to see how your colors turn out. You are definitely braver than I.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 7:05 pm

Oh this is going to be so interesting to watch. I was wondering about starting with an underpainting with bright colors. Now I can watch you paint first and see how it works. Great start! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 7:35 pm

I wore eye makeup like that back in the late 60s! Wink

Nice start, Callie. Looking forward to seeing where you take this!
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 8:32 pm

Sofie - maybe that's why I'm drawn to these wild color combinations - they remind me of all the Mary Quant eyeshadows we used to wear (with out fits to match) January Challenge - Page 3 Affraid January Challenge - Page 3 594322

I think I'm channelling Matisse for this one!
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 9:30 pm

Callie, Your painting does look very Matisse already. The channelling is going well obviously. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 11:44 pm

Thanks! I slapped some more paint on it today, but no photo yet. Might do some more tomorrow. I want to finish it soon so I can start one of the others.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 8:31 am

Marathon painting... so much fun. I'll do the apples tomorrow. I'm going to begin the underpainting in full saturation with acrylics and then add the shadows and tones after and go over the fully saturated areas with WSOs. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn

Location Location : Uniontown Mo

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:45 am

Wow look at you guys go ! I have not even started a single one! maybe today!!!!
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 11:35 am

Sounds like a good plan, Janet. I really enjoyed painting the apples, so I'm looking forward to seeing your version.

Dawn, I hope you find time to join in!
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:28 am

Dawn, I'm looking forward to seeing your painting! Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 6:15 pm

Finished the apples. I'm really having problems with keeping my colors clean when using the canvas that comes in pads. It appears to be too slippery. I'll try a few more with it and ditch it if I can't get use to it. I used the Walnut Alkyd Medium and I'm not too sure how if I like it yet because of the issues I'm having with the ground that I'm using. 9X12

January Challenge - Page 3 Img_7812
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

January Challenge
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next