Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

January Challenge

Go down 
+4
Sofie
judyfilarecki
Janet
Callie
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

January Challenge - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 7:24 pm

Janet - I really like this January Challenge - Page 4 Icon_cheers Love the brush strokes on the apples - well done!

I think with those canvas pads, it helps to get a layer of paint (no mediums) on first so you have something to paint into. It's like painting on plastic.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Janet,
Did you only use the alkyd or did you add other stuff to the paint. I used
it alone and didn't have any problem. I used a little as I went along, dipping my brush in the puddle of alkyd as the paint I was using needed thinning.

Even with your problems, the apples look very "post-impressionistic"

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 7:25 am

Thank you Callie and Judy! Smile

Callie thank you for the tip I think I'll try the laying down some paint really thin no medium or maybe try my other alkyd medium because it dries really fast just to underpaint. I did this one with an underpainting in acrylics very thined down with water but I don't think it sticks the same way as it would to a layer of WSOs.

Judy, I didn't use any other medium. It certainly could be just a matter of getting use to it or maybe the brand of canvas that I'm using. I'll try a few more and see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 3:44 pm

Made a little more progress on this, not quite finished:

January Challenge - Page 4 Portra12

I think it needs some of the light greens and yellows in the neck area.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 4:45 pm

Callie your painting is coming along great! I love seeing how color can create form. Looking forward to your next update. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 11:19 pm

This challenge is so much fun - I love looking at all the updates. Smile

Janet - your apples are looking great.

Callie - very bold colour use! I love it.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Callie,

It's beautiful just as is.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 12:43 am

Thanks y'all! January Challenge - Page 4 Icon_redface
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Finally done:

January Challenge - Page 4 Portra13
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 10:55 pm

Callie, she's beautiful! The colors are wonderful! Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 11:02 pm

I'm going to call it Portrait of Beatrice Cenci January Challenge - Page 4 342724
(see art history mystery thread #3)
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 11:23 pm

LOL!!

She's gorgeous Callie!
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:11 am

Thanks Sofie!
This was a lot of fun to paint - I may experiment some more with this style.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:50 am

Callie wrote:
I'm going to call it Portrait of Beatrice Cenci January Challenge - Page 4 342724
(see art history mystery thread #3)

January Challenge - Page 4 342724 You're too funny Callie! Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 11:26 am

Callie,

She's beautiful and you can call her anything you'd like.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 12:08 pm

January Challenge - Page 4 Icon_lol
Now to decide what's next... cat or flowers....
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 8:33 pm

We're almost at the end of the month, so I wanted to let anyone who's still working on a painting for the challenge (I still have 2 going) - no rush! The challenge threads will remain open, so if you've missed one or just found this forum and want to do one of the challenges - please jump right in!

If the challenge is more than a month old, you might want to post your painting in one of the other forum sections (completed paintings, works in progress or critiques) as well - just mention which month the challenge was in your post so we can refer back to the theme/references.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 9:11 am

Thank you Callie for clarifying that. Their are several that I would like to try in the older threads. I'm looking forward to seeing the 2 that you're working on. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 3:04 pm

I've started the pond and the flowers. Just backgrounds - not much to look at yet. January Challenge - Page 4 Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn

Location Location : Uniontown Mo

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:29 am

I did start a painting for this challenge but really could not get into it. I was glad the month ended and I didn’t have to go back to it but then I see its still open ! Well not sure how I feel about that, LOLOLOL maybe I will show it off in the down the drain section!!!!
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 11:04 am

Just when you thought you'd missed the deadline and could move on January Challenge - Page 4 Icon_lol
Maybe you should put it aside for awhile - start something new. Then you can look at it with a fresh eye and decide whether to finish it January Challenge - Page 4 Icon_cyclops
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: First Challenge & First Portrait   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 11:04 pm

January Challenge - Page 4 Challe12There was a mention that we could post w/ any challenge when we finished -- thank you for leaving this option open.

This is the 1st portrait I have ever painted…I know I it needs work and I will sit with it for a while and make changes as I ponder where and what it needs – feel free to let me know how I can improve….I already see some areas which I want to tweak.

Last edited by Dana C on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wanted to Thank you for allowing us to start and post as we complete a chanllenge)
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 1:58 am

I think your portrait is exceptionally good. The fact that this is your first portrait is amazing. Thanks for showing us.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 7:22 am

Your portrait is terrific. I'm glad you shared it with us. The blending in the face forms perfect, delicate features. The subtle hint of patterns in the fabrics add just enough to enhance the entire picture without taking away from the focus on the face. Nice work.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 11:04 am

Sorry for mixing up where I write what, not so good on forums, as this is the first time for "A Forum" also and how it works, please be patient with me...I will try to learn it fast January Challenge - Page 4 Icon_redface

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement and welcoming me, I have never had any sort of formal art training....and it is difficult to view or know how your own art work really looks, it's been my daughter who has encouraged me to go for it and myself determination/strong-will, along with the love of painting. January Challenge - Page 4 Herz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January Challenge   January Challenge - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

January Challenge
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next