Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints  Empty
PostSubject: Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints    Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints  EmptyMon May 25, 2015 10:24 am

I was in Hobby Lobby the other day and they had the Krylon Quick Dry on sale so I bought a can. I haven't used it yet but thought I'd post a photo of the directions for use. It sounds like a real boon for us oil painters but I know Judy and others with allergies/breathing problems would probably have trouble with it. I rarely use Krylon products because so many of them use toxic stuff that smells to high heaven but since our weather is warm right now, I could spray outside as long as the humidity is down.

Anyway, see next post for the instructions.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints    Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints  EmptyMon May 25, 2015 10:27 am

Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints  Krylon10

Hope this is readable. Will let you know how it works if I ever get around to using it.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints    Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints  EmptyMon May 25, 2015 5:22 pm

Someone on wet canvas said she used it 6 - 7 times on different paintings. She said that it worked best on paintings that were nearly touch dry, and on impastos. Of course, there's still no way to tell what it will do over time. Yeah, let us know what you think if you every use it.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints    Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints  EmptyTue May 26, 2015 6:24 am

I've read that the spray has to be really light/thin but didn't know about the painting needing to be nearly touch dry - if that's the case, why bother to even use it?

I'll let you know when I use it as I'll probably try it just to see for myself how it works. There were some good reviews for it on the Dick Blick catalog page for it at least.

Came back to question the use with WSO's - I wonder if the water content will affect the use of it?
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints    Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints  EmptyWed May 27, 2015 7:29 pm

The woman that said she had used it was writing in the Water Mixable Oils section of Wet Canvas, if that's any help.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints    Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints  EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks for the information!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints    Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints  EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 5:23 pm

It is interesting that it says it will allow the paints to continue to dry. You're right though, Jan, I don't think I'll give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints    Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints  EmptySun Jun 07, 2015 8:15 pm

Yeah, so far I've never needed anything to dry so fast. You never know if it will cause yellowing later, or what. You're right about the reviews though, in a pinch, I might try it.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints    Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints  EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 5:15 pm

Actually, I was thinking about it and it shouldn't be any worse than retouch varnish (except for the smell!) Once it's varnished, I wouldn't think it would yellow as it's air that causes yellowing, isn't it? Wouldn't the regular varnish seal it? Not sure but I still haven't tried it yet as I haven't been painting lately!
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints    Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints  EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 3:21 pm

Just started a new WMO yesterday and decided to try the Quick Dry spray. I actually stopped late afternoon yesterday and waited until this morning to use the spray because we were having thunderstorms and I didn't want to spray in the house.

So I sprayed as soon as the dew dried this morning, outside, using a light mist as the instructions said. It's now almost 7 hours later and the paint is still as tacky as it was before I spayed.

So far, I'm not impressed with this product. Just thought you might like to know my experience.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints    Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints  EmptyFri Jul 10, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks for your information, Jan. Sorry, that it didn't work very well for you.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints    Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints  EmptySat Jul 11, 2015 2:31 pm

Crystal1 wrote:
Thanks for your information, Jan. Sorry, that it didn't work very well for you.

Well, it's summer in North Carolina and that means humidity. It could be that it was just too humid to spray outside. I brought the painting inside as quickly as possible though. Will try it again under different circumstances and see if it works any better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints    Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints  Empty

Back to top Go down

Krylon Quick Dry for Oil Paints
Page 1 of 1