Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Genesis Paint - Lighthouse

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

Genesis Paint - Lighthouse Empty
PostSubject: Genesis Paint - Lighthouse   Genesis Paint - Lighthouse EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 11:46 am

Below is a painting that I won't finish. I started painting this on a 5x7 gessoed plywood scrap which evidently wasn't suitable for the paints. I've mentioned that the right support is critical for these paints and I'm really finding out how true this is.

I was maybe 3/4 of the way finished when I decided to use a heat gun to dry it before completing it. It did dry but I got bubbles on the viewer's right where I guess the paint blistered. I have read that you really need to experiment to learn how much heat to apply and for how long so am glad I didn't paint this on a nice expensive panel!

Not only did it blister, but it also developed vertical cracks or splits in the wood itself. I'm guessing that the glue or resin used in the plywood wasn't compatible with the paint or maybe the heat.

These paints certainly do have a sharp learning curve! But, although the supports and heat amount are fairly critical, I am liking the way the paints work. I got some 91% rubbing alcohol (sorry, Judy, no EverClear!) and it thins the paint and cleans up the brushes very, very well.

Just for kicks, I also measured the temperature in the trunk of my car with an oven thermometer. It was a 90 degree day with lots of sunshine but the wind was blowing. Don't know if that had any effect on the temperature inside the trunk or not but even with the car parked in the sun for hours, the temperature didn't even get to the minimum 150 degree mark on the thermometer. My husband said it would probably be hotter inside the car itself because of the windows allowing solar radiation. This is a car without tinted windows on the sides so he could be right. Unfortunately, our weather has turned considerably cooler so may have to wait to test that theory.

On to the painting - I will definitely try this one again as it's one of my favorite places and I like the brilliant colors.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Genesis Paint - Lighthouse   Genesis Paint - Lighthouse EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 11:49 am

Genesis Paint - Lighthouse O_ligh10

As I said above, this one is definitely not finished and won't ever be.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Genesis Paint - Lighthouse   Genesis Paint - Lighthouse EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 12:31 pm

I don't know if you all even care about these paints but there's so little information out there, I thought it might be good to give you my observations about them.

First, they are an oil paint although it's a synthetic oil so I guess they are correctly labeled as an oil paint. I know there's been some controversy about that.

To me, they handle like the WSO's only better in some regards. It's great to be able to lay down your brush and leave out your palette when you get interrupted. They certainly fit my way of painting and while they do have some quirks, I'm liking them more and more.

I think it's somewhat misleading to say they never dry. Well, I don't know about actually drying, but if you paint in thin layers as I do, the gessoed support does absorb the oil or something so the painting feels dry with only a couple of layers applied. It's also difficult to impossible to blend when that happens. I don't know about painting more impasto, that's something I'll try as soon as I get some more supports prepared or get more canvases.

I do know I got some of the paint on my shirt this morning and it feels dry and hard. I'm getting ready to wash it to see if the paint comes out. That would be another plus in my book if it does because I'm a somewhat messy painter and don't have many clothes left without paint stains!

Also, I've discovered that if you cut some paper towels into eighths, the sections are just right for wiping the paint off a palette knife or wiping a brush between colors.

I keep a little cap full of the 91% alcohol and use it to further clean my brushes between colors. It really doesn't take much after wiping well with a paper towel. Also, a tiny bit mixed into the paint will thin it out enough to make a thin line for instance.

There really is no odor during painting except for the alcohol.

I use a disposable paper palette during painting for mixing but use an old metal pastel pencil case to lay out the paints and to store between painting sessions. It's a little over 7 inches square and too small for mixing paint but perfect for keeping it covered. I bought a glass microwave turntable plate in a thrift store but it's kind of bulky and heavy while the paper palette is easily moved or held when I need it. If I have leftover mixed paint, I can either save it in my metal case, throw it away or add it to my jar of leftover paint which I use for painting shadows or toning down some colors. It just depends on how much is left and whether I feel I'll ever use that color again.

The paint is expensive to buy but is pretty cost effective since you can use almost all that you have. There's very little waste.

If anyone has any questions, just ask.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Genesis Paint - Lighthouse   Genesis Paint - Lighthouse EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 1:15 pm

Well, I enjoy reading about these Genesis paints. I may not ever use them, but the more you teach us the more interested I am. Thanks for teaching us about them.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Genesis Paint - Lighthouse   Genesis Paint - Lighthouse EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks for such a thorough analysis of these paints. I wonder if they will become as popular as traditional oils and WSO.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Genesis Paint - Lighthouse   Genesis Paint - Lighthouse EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 5:52 pm

I'm enjoying playing with them, Judy, and like them more each time I use them but they are different from traditional paints of any kind. I kind of doubt if they'll catch on with traditional painters - people are creatures of habit.

I did find some good information at: http://kingslan.com/index.php and her YouTube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/kingslandotcom but am discovering a lot on my own especially about heat times. It can really vary & it's hard to tell when it's been long enough when you use the oven.

Anyway, I'll post what I paint if that's ok and if anyone has questions, I'll do what I can to answer them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genesis Paint - Lighthouse   Genesis Paint - Lighthouse Empty

Back to top Go down

Genesis Paint - Lighthouse
Page 1 of 1