Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting Empty
PostSubject: Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting   Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 9:56 am

My friend is finally married and I had a little free time to experiment a bit more with the Genesis paints. I'll post the painting and some observations in the next post.

Judy, I decided to go ahead and post here to keep all the Genesis stuff together. I hope that's ok.

Last edited by JanG on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting   Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 10:21 am

Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting Tulip_10

This is my latest Genesis Oil painting but it's a lousy photo of it. Someone said they'd do a tutorial on how to photograph paintings but I haven't seen it yet!

Anyway, the red is more vivid irl and the colors in the background are more subdued. But I wasn't as concerned about getting a painting masterpiece as I was in learning more about the paint.

I had an easier time of painting this time than the time before. I used a relatively cheap (Michael's store brand) stretched canvas that I was given some time ago and gave it a couple of coats of gesso. After it was all dried, I sanded it to give me a smoother surface. Ordinarily, I don't like painting on stretched canvas but this was ok for experimenting. However, I've found that the support definitely matters and will affect how the paint goes on. I saw where another artist recommends the Tara canvas by Fredrix because it has a coating with teflon molecules and the paints slide better.

I also found that the more you mix/mash the Genesis paints, the softer they become. I like that because you can control the firmness of the paint. There are just times when you need a softer or firmer paint and it's nice to be able to control that without adding a medium.

I had to bake the painting about 3/4 of the way through because I was painting dark to light and the paint tended to mix and give me mud. It went without a hitch and there was only a slight smell of pine when I opened the oven. This reinforces my previous observation that any smell comes from the support and not the paint itself.

I do recommend that you have a dedicated set of brushes for these paints just in case any paint gets left behind after cleaning. I had a high school art teacher who was a real bear about cleaning brushes so thorough cleaning has been firmly etched in my psyche! I cleaned my brushes until nothing could be seen and then cleaned some more but there was still a different feel to the bristles. I'm not sure if it's left over paint or what, but I don't think I'll use these brushes for other paints. I used a set of cheap brushes from Hobby Lobby and they were very satisfactory so I feel as if I can afford to have a separate set.

I haven't done the final baking yet as the painting doesn't feel finished. Any C&C or suggestions as to what it needs is always welcome. Even though it's just an experimental piece, it would be nice to end up with something decent.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting   Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting EmptyThu Oct 02, 2014 12:33 pm

The painting looks good and it sound like you're having fun. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting   Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 4:23 am

Thanks, Crystal - now that I'm getting more comfortable with the paints, I do like them and it's easier to paint with them because they dry when you want them too.

Of course, it takes about 15 minutes for a drying session so it's not the most spontaneous painting session you could have but they do suit the way I paint since I get interrupted so much.

But, they're always ready when I'm ready to paint and that's a big plus for me. Also, no waste. I was doing some acrylic painting the other day and am appalled at the amount of wasted paint. I even save the leftover mixed Genesis paint as you can find a use for it in another painting.

Anyway, we'll see if I continue to use them much.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting   Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting EmptySat Oct 04, 2014 10:15 pm

Great Start!… Let's see the finish.

I was going to put up a tutorial on how to take better pictures. But the truth is that Youtube has such wonderful tutorials, that I would be a joke. But I must say this, you need a camera with high ISO, and large aperture (i.e a camera with good lens) which I have done recently. Frankly, a good camera can be held in your hand in low lights, not tripods needed, and you don't have to fight with the lights glare and all. You can dim the light etc. Hmmmm… maybe I should put a tutorial up… Smile
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting   Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 11:27 am

Well, you could at least tell us about your camera!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting   Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 10:55 am

HI Jan,
This location is fine. Just always put Genesis in the title so it can be searched more easily her on the forum. AS far as the tutuorial, I'll have to check and see if Alan didn't all ready do one here. It may have been related more to the type of features you want on a camera. I don't remember. Youtube is a good source, however as Faisal mentioned, but if he wants too do one, that would be great.

Edit:
It was Jim, one of our former members.

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/t678-dslr-cameras-for-reference-photos
https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/t706-point-and-shoot-cameras-for-reference-photos
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting   Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 5:53 pm

Thanks, Judy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting   Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting Empty

Back to top Go down

Another Genesis Heat Set Oil Painting
Page 1 of 1