Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals Empty
PostSubject: Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals   Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 3:54 pm

I've just started a computer class from http://www.digitalartacademy.com/ dealing with how to apply protective coating to prints of your original artwork and also, how to re-work, adjust, add or subtract things in the print that you might want to change.

I recently did an acrylic wash over a print of my Misty Morning painting using a burnt sienna to enrich the color of the printout. I had done the printing myself on my wide-format Epson printer and framed the print for my granddaughter for Christmas.
Photography Prints

The class has only just begun, so I'll post info as it progresses.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals   Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 11:37 pm

It looks beautiful. So dreamy.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals   Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 9:18 am

That sounds like a very worthwhile class. When you added the acrylic wash, did the ink smear on your print?

I've been doing some coasters from some prints of my art work on ceramic tiles (like from Lowes) but I have to spray the prints before gluing them to the tiles or the ink will smear. Did you spray the burnt sienna or brush it? Of course I don't have an Epson printer or use the Epson ink although my Canon is supposed to have archival ink.

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals   Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 4:14 pm

Thanks Crystal.

Jan,
No matter what the ink, you have to spray a layer of clear acrylic over the print to seal the ink. I usually I look for a spray that is UV resistant, non-yellowing, clear, and moisture resistant. The one I use most often is Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic coating. I can usually get it at Michael's in one of their locked cases. I apply about 3 coats to be safe.

The instructor suggested another brand, that I had never heard of and I would have to send away for. The Krylon has always worked well for me. I even used it over a watercolor I did for a background and then painted with WSO's over it.

You should post some of your tiles for us to see. I'm not sure where....maybe under collage. It doesn't really matter.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals   Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 6:59 pm

I was thinking that would be the case. I don't use Krylon even though it's readily available because it stinks so bad and I don't have a good place outside to spray.

I use an acrylic medium, usually diluted Soft Gloss by Golden, and then use my airbrush or a little Preval sprayer to seal. Or, Mod Podge of all things has come out with a spray that seems to be a medium in a spray can. I had to use it once because I was out of medium and we're so far in the boonies that WalMart is generally the only place to get anything like that. It worked well but I made sure to seal the coasters with a clear, non-yellowing, uv-resistant, moisture- resistant sealer as the final finish.

Here are a couple of links to my blog showing the Preval sprayer and also some of the coasters.

http://jgibsonartstudio.blogspot.com/2013/08/great-art-tool.html

http://jgibsonartstudio.blogspot.com/2013/07/what-else-to-do-with-all-your-paintings.html

To be honest, the coasters are a lot of work for what you can sell them for but they are good sellers for arts and craft shows, bazaars, etc.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals   Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Great idea for the sprayer. I'll have to look into that. I really like the coasters. I used to make them on a heat resistant foam back with painting prints heat- pressed on. They were a pretty good seller at art fairs, but they don't compare to how great yours look.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals   Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 7:33 am

Thanks, Judy. You'll have to tell me about your process for the coasters you made. As I said, the tile based coasters are time-consuming to make.

The best place to get the Preval is usually an auto parts store (NAPA stores are the ones that carry it in our area) but I think Dick Blick is now carrying them and maybe other art stores. They may be in home improvement stores but I've not found them in our local Lowes nor in WalMart.

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals   Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks Jan,
I'll have to check out the Preval out here. We have two art supply stores here and they tend to carry special, innovative things. I'm on y way out to play tennis but I'll get back to you about the coasters.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals   Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals Empty

Back to top Go down

Protecting or re-working digital prints of your originals
Page 1 of 1