Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene Empty
PostSubject: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 12:45 pm

The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene Ahm-wi10

I think Janet is at her camp, so I'll put a mystery painting up for this week.
CLUE: Northern Renaissance
Have Fun! Question

Last edited by Callie on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 4:15 pm

Thank you Callie for taking on this weeks AHM! I just got back but. That's an interesting puzzle piece. Someone being whipped? Off to do a little searching. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 5:32 pm

i thought I knew, but i can't find that particular painting.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 6:16 pm

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 8:11 pm

I think I'll need to wait for the next clue. Searched for a while but couldn't find it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 9:42 am

The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene Ahm-wi11

Our artist was at one time a student of fellow Dutch artist Pieter Bruegel. Bruegel and our artist (maybe inspired by Bruegel) have both created paintings of a very well-known biblical tower.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 9:46 am

The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene Ahm-wi12

This Flemish artist was born in 1535 (or 1530 according to one art source).

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 5:04 pm

Definitely a dilemma. The painting looks familiar, but I sure can't find who painted it.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 8:10 pm

Well, here's a bonus clue.... it's a winterscene Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 9:40 pm

Geeeeeeee. Thanks. I didn't figure that out.

Judy The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene Icon_tongue
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 10:04 am

Here's what we have so far:
A Flemish artist, born 1535, student of Pieter Bruegel, active during the Northern Renaissance period, he and Bruegel both painted versions of a famous biblical tower, our artist also painted this winterscene.
Next clue: He died in 1597

The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene Ahm-wi13
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 11:27 am

Lucas van Valckenborch. Winter

I saw this so many times and ignored it becasue it showed up as a different colour - more yellow on my monitor
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 11:47 am

Yeah Dale! cheers
I know, I've noticed it looks different on various sites. I even found one site that had a poster of just the bottom left section with the 2 people in it.
Most sites had the painting titled Winterscene.... see blatant clue above Laughing
I'm not at home now, I'll put up the painting and info when I get back to my other computer.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 10:21 pm

Good Job Dale. All I ever came up with was Bruegel. Even when I looked for other artist who painter the Tower of Babel, none of his came up. Oh well. Enjoy you escape tot he cabinn
Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 11:42 am

There's not a lot of biographical info for Valckenborch, this is the most detail I could find in one place (in French):
http://www.artbible.info/art/large/622.html
and:
http://www.artbible.info/art/biography/lucas-van-valckenborch.html

Here's a link to the Tower of Babel painting (with 2 by Bruegel under it):
http://www.artbible.info/art/large/622.html
(His brother Maerten also painted the tower)

The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene Winter10
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 9:05 pm

Thanks for the link. I think I like his version of the tower the best. The blues a
really beautiful.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 5:58 pm

Good going Dale! cheers That was a really tough one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene Empty

Back to top Go down

The Art History Mystery Challenge No.41 Lucas Van Valckenborch - Winterscene
Page 1 of 1