Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

General Chat - June 2010

Go down 
+4
Sofie
judyfilarecki
Callie
Janet
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 9:01 am

Dana, What is "Painting with the Masters"? I've never heard of it but I'm curious. I already need to wear reading glasses but for me it was more about kayaking and four wheeling that the glasses were a real pain. I've discovered many things I never even thought of that is a big benefit. Using binoculars or a camera so much easier now.

I ordered a bike last week and I'm looking forward to biking. First time in about 20 years so hopefully I don't break my neck. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 10:01 am

Dana - Did you mean this - Weekend with the Masters:

http://guest.cvent.com/EVENTS/Info/Custom.aspx?cid=17&e=898c1e6e-6b23-421c-922a-13a8be833a1e

Janet - I've been thinking about getting my bike out of the basement, haven't ridden it in years General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 Kopfschuettel I'm such a wimp, I won't ride when there's ice on the road, in pouring rain with lightening, or when there's excessive heat warnings.... So that leaves about a week or 2 in the Fall General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 Icon_lol
We used to bike along the Katy Trail ( http://www.bikekatytrail.com/ ), it's a former rail line that follows the Missouri River through historic little towns and vineyards across the state. There's lots of B&Bs and wine tastings along the trail. Very nice in the Fall. I want to be ready in case we have some nice weather this year so I've been putting the miles in on my excersize bike - with the AC cranked.
What type/brand of bike did you order?
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 1:00 pm

Janet,
We have lots of patients who have had Lasik and it is a great thing. My sister who has worn glasses most of her life, went up to Canada early because it wasn’t FDA approved here yet and had a surgery similar to Lasik and has been so happy with the outcome….it is wonderful what they can do now for people. Just remember to use your dry eye drops daily, even if they do feel better….I like the Refresh drops best.

Callie and Janet,
I love to bike ride, just started last year again…I started out slow and by the end of last year, I did a ride which was 50 miles, I was tired, but felt good. Occasionally I can get in a ride of 30 miles, but mostly ride to work to say I get some exercise and it’s only 7 miles each way. My husband helped me get a bike because he started riding before I did…he has done the STP (Seattle to Portland—a 300 + miler) ride in two days, this year he is hoping to do it in one---that’s way too much riding for me, I call that Misery. I ride a “Ruby road bike” and mostly to get exercise and to get out from being inside so much with all the rain here. I do ride in light rain and wind, but never more than that—well once I did, as I rode my bike to work and then when it was time to ride home the weather had changed to a storm, my boss said that she’d give me a ride home, but I was too stubborn to take her up on it, The wind and rain were pretty strong, took me almost twice as long to get home, but I did it and actually it was somewhat fun to have said I did it.

Yes, it is “Weekend with the Masters” where the masters teach their secrets and more….it is at Dana Point in CA this year, this is only the second year they have had it – it’s quite expensive, but my husband gave it to me as a gift for Mothers Day and my birthday. I am a little nerves as I don’t think that I am that good to be going – it was a surprise and I wanted to back out of it because I’m not that good, but then thought well, when will I ever get a chance to learn from the masters. It’s also a beautiful time of year and the weather should be gorgeous there, I only have much to gain…so if any of you would like to join me I would love to meet you there and say hey—

Sorry I wrote soooo much, keep on painting, group hug Dana
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 3:54 pm

I'm with you Callie.. wimpy. It will have to be the perfect weather before I venture out on my bike. I can't remember the brand name my daughter helped me pick it out. She just bought one and I just went with the same one. Wow your bike trails look fantastic! Very pretty scenery. Ours aren't quite that nice but at least I won't need to bike on the road.

Dana, I've finished the regiment of eye drops prescribed by my doctor but I've been using my Visine eye drops once and a while.

50 mile ride... wow! I think it will be a while... a long while before I can do that distance.

What a great opportunity to be able to participate with the "Weekend with the Masters". You're so lucky. I'm a little poor rite now after buying that bike but I'll certainly look into it.

Don't worry about the length of your message. We like to talk here and get to know our fellow members. group hug
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 7:40 pm

It's exciting to get a new bike... I look forward to hearing how the biking goes...and picture taking along the trails. Dana
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 7:52 pm

Dana - What a great gift! I'd love to be able to watch some of those pro artists paint - especially the portrait demos. I hope you don't fret too much about your level of experience - just soak up all the "talent" you can, and have a great time!
My sister-in-law and her husband just came back from a vacation in/around Portland. I had a look at their photos yesterday - what an incredible place! Now we all want to move there.General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 Icon_bounce

Although Missouri is pretty hilly, the Katy Trail is mostly flat, so it's easy to ride for a long way. No cars and good food and wine along the way make it just about perfect. There's been several plein-air events along there over the years.
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 8:04 pm

Callie,
Thank you for your encouragement....on absorbing their talent....I am bring a very large sponge, so I can do just that...I just hope it holds all it needs to, fits in my brain, and doesn't leak, along with retaining the info. Thank you again

I was born in Portland and raised there, it is a beautiful place, also a short distance from the mountains and the same to the coast....the weather is wonderful, warm and not too hot summers and not to bad in the winter. I love that place -- it was hard to move from there, but here in Seattle is my home and glad to be here too.

Hope they took some pictures you can paint from. Dana
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 7:20 am

Dana I did see a lot of beautiful spots that I can take pics and plan on bringing my camera everywhere!

Callie, My husband was born in Portland. Wine along the way that sounds dangerous. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 10:52 am

hi watermixable guy. No health issues here either. I was always afraid to use oils, because of the messy clean up, the need to use stinky solvents, and the slow drying time. I was a hardcore acrylics advocate. Then a friend gave me a set of artisans in exchange for dogsitting, and I got hooked. I loved the colours and the blending and the slower drying time for outdoor painting in the summer, and I love the way they clean up with water.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 4:10 pm

I think you guys have guilted me into getting my bike out. I just had an x-ray on my tailbone this morning (too much information, I know) but I have avoided getting on my bike until i know what is causing me my pain. Perhaps sitting, painting too much?

Wow Painting with the Masters sounds amazing. I can't wait to hear all about it.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 7:36 pm

Janet, the ideal plan is to book a room at a B&B to end up at at the end of the day, then you start hitting the wineries late in the ride and finish up in time for a nice dinner and good sleep. Next day, brunch then the ride back. No Tour de France for me!

Dale, I hope it's nothing serious.
Dana - soak up as much as possible and then squeeze some out here for the rest of us! They have plenty of talent to spare General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 11:33 pm

My husband had tail bone issues -- it happened about 8 years ago when we both thought we wanted to try to snowboard instead of skiing like we always did, you know up for the adventure, how can it hurt to try something new. Well, not realizing when we have both feet clipped to one board it sure makes for a challenging ride and fall....the doctors told him that they really don't do much for the tail bone issues, because the fixing and repair isn't a guarentee. I am sorry to hear you are having problems in that area.... I hope all goes well for you Dale. Dana

My husband (Eric) seems to not have trouble riding -- especially all the long rides he does, I think it's because the seat/ which they call the saddle is so small it doesn't seem to hurt the tailbone area.

Although, I will not be heading to the convention anytime soon, but when I do....I will try to take good notes for you all at "The Weekend with the Masters"....it's not until mid-Sept. You could say a little prayer for me to learn and understand what I am being taught.....I know there will be a lot of info and I have never had any formal training, group hug Dana

PS...feeling some better -- thank you
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:58 pm

Callie, that sounds like a wonderful outing. I did get my bike but it was raining yesterday so haven't had a chance to try it yet. Probably later today. The brand is a Trek Skye SL.

Dale, that must be painful. I hope it heals quickly! The person I talked to at the bike shop and my daughter both explained the seat can make a big difference in the comfort of the ride.

Dana, I'm sure you'll come away from it with a lot of insights that you'll find will stay with you for the rest of your life. I've just taken a couple of College 1 week courses and I found I did learn a lot. You have my prayers.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 3:01 pm

Janet, that looks similar to my bike (I don't remember what brand it is, that's how long it's been since I've ridden it!). I went from an old 10 speed to the up-right 21 speed (with bigger tires and seat). What a difference! So much easier to ride General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 Icon_biggrin It's really nice to be able to down shift quickly when you come to a hill.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 3:42 pm

Oh ya shifting... I have no clue. I think I'll be doing some empty parking lot biking for a bit until I get the hang of it. Hopefully that whole saying regarding "like riding a bike" applies to riding a bike for me. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 6:52 pm

I left my bikes out in the rain for a couple of years because there was no room for them in my shed. They were tarped, but the tarps kept slipping, and they were behind a screen, so out of sight - out of mind. Needless to say they rusted. No bike riding for me. Smile

On another note, I'd like to announce a new sub forum in the Galleries section. It's all about plein air painting - a place to post your own plein air paintings or discuss any facet of plein air painting that you would like, so drop in and enjoy the fun. General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 5191
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:41 pm

Fun, fun, fun and good for us too --- I hope you all enjoying biking and picture taking, then a little wine, a nice dinner....you sure will sleep well after all that.

Janet – bike shifting, it took me a while to get the hang of it too, in fact I only used the gears with my right hand most of the time -- almost a year of just that and this being the second year, I decided I could try the gears on the left side too….I still haven’t figured all of them out yet, but I have the important ones down. You’ll get it, just give yourself some time – have fun….reminding yourself it’s good for you and you can incorporate the other things you like into biking….like picture taking, painting, going with friends and family….even a little wine and dinner. A friend and I like to ride and stop for some good coffee at the half way point ( Remember Seattle’s known for their coffee….we must have our coffee at least once or more times a day. )

Well, I have finished work and need to head home and take care of a sick husband….tomorrows my long day at work and a very busy one at that.

I am planning on painting lots this weekend – hoping to find the time, but not sure what I am going to paint? That’s still up in the air…..Thank you all Dana
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Oh, Callie -- great idea going through the wine country and biking, nice to have that in your own area.... I have always wanted to do that in Tuscany -- I can just picture it -- sound so beautiful! General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 Icon_biggrin Dana
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 7:23 am

cheers Sofie thank you for the new sub forum! I'm planning on doing some Plein Air painting and hoping to contribute something soon. Smile

Dana, good points and I'm sure it won't take that long to figure out. Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 5:21 pm

Dana, Thanks for all the great new pictures in the RIL. I moved some of them around and created an area in Landscapes specifically for trees. ..Judy
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Your welcome, I am continuing to add some more, feel free to move them where ever you wish, you know best....Dana Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Was able to take my bike out for a spin for the first time yesterday. Yay! No problems. I was surprised how quickly I was able to get use to it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Good for you Janet! I like bike riding except for going up the hills. Wink Hope you get lots of fun use out of your bike!
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 5:01 pm

I am glad you got a chance to ride some -- it is fun and I always feel good afterwards, because I know I got some exercise too and was out doors enjoying the beauty. I am hoping to ride to work on Monday, had a cough for while and been waiting to let that clear some. Hope you keep on riding and enjoying it!
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 8:11 am

Sofie, I agree those hills are a killer. Well I guess I can't say I went up a hill more of a gradual incline but it felt like Mount Everest to me. I'm really out of shape and discovered muscles I didn't know I had. Laughing

Dana, I hope your cough clears up soon. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Chat - June 2010
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next