Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

General Chat - June 2010

Go down 
+4
Sofie
judyfilarecki
Callie
Janet
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

General Chat - June 2010 Empty
PostSubject: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 8:46 am

Hi everyone! Hot, hot, hot here! I love it except for the fire bans which means no camp fires for now. I'm simply amazed at the results of my Lasik surgery for my eyes. I can see better then when I wore glasses. It's great! I hope everyone is doing well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 9:06 am

Hey Janet! We're all over in May.... June just snuck up on us General Chat - June 2010 Icon_biggrin
Glad to hear the Lasik surgery went well. That's amazing to me; needing glasses one day and perfect vision the next day General Chat - June 2010 Fresse

Judy is hosting the Group Painting Challenge this month. I'm going to go see what she's come up with.....
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 9:23 am

The challenge is all set and posted. I guess I''ll have to get started. I'm such a detail person that this will definitely be a challenge. I may have to find some microscopic palette knives if there is such a thing Rolling Eyes Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 10:10 pm

Wow! June already! With all this rain and cold weather it's hard to realise it's summer.Sad Gotta go check out the new challenge.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 6:54 pm

I wish we had some of that cool weather here. It's been so hot, I've skipped going to all of the art fairs around here except one yesterday. It was brutal, but I wanted to watch my favorite (local) plein-air painter do a one hour demo. At one point, he went to wipe the sweat out of his eyes and used a towel with turpentine on it General Chat - June 2010 Icon_mad I don't know why they don't schedule these things in the fall!
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Send me some of that heat!!!!
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 7:12 am

We could have used some of that hear as well over the weekend. Still a fire ban hear so again a weekend at the camp with no campfire. Hopefully next weekend. Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 1:06 pm

The fire ban has been lifted. Yay! Off to the camp this evening to enjoy our first fire in a while. My neck and back are a little messed up rite now... so no painting for a while. I have an appointment for tomorrow to get an adjustment. I have the reference all ready to go for my palette knife painting. I'm looking forward to sloshing around some paint. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 1:24 pm

Have a great time Janet. And don't go setting the woods on fire.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 1:58 pm

After a beautiful day yesterday it's raing again today - seems we only get one good one in a row. At least we finally got a dry Tuesday night for the plein air group. We went to local farm that likes to have us come and paint the bucolic countryside or out-buildings. I had my 4 y/o grandson with me and he brought his painting box. He had three pictures done in 5 minutes. Wink It took the rest of us a lot longer than that. I got mine finished in about 45 minutes then took him for a nice long walk/run along the fields. (you can guess which one of us was doing the running)
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 9:16 am

I'm waiting for fall to get out for some plein-air painting. We get a few sunny days between thunderstorms, but it's so hot and humid - it's hard to breathe. I'll be meeting my painting buddies at the coffee shop this morning, we'll stay in where it's air conditioned. I'm going to try to finish my palette knife painting for the June Group Challenge.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 10:59 am

I'm off on the first leg of a road trip to Calgary today. I'm going with my 4 year old grandson to visit my son Miguel and his wife and 1year old daughter. Will be staying in Vancouver on Saturday, going to a high school reunion on Saturday evening, and driving to Calgary Sunday morning, so I'll be away from the site for a few days at least, until I get to Calgary. Happy painting! Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 12:51 pm

Sounds like a fun trip. I'd love to visit Vancouver. Have a good time!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 9:29 pm

Sound like we've all been having rain problems. Today was the first day in five days that we haven't had rain. I don't think I used my furnace as much last fall as I have this month. Is it summer yet?

Have a good trip, Sofie and Janet I hope your back is better.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:46 pm

Dale, lol luckily we didn't set the woods on fire. We had a great time. For the most part the weather has been great! Smile

Hope you have a great time in Calgary Sofie! Smile

Judy, my back is doing much better. I'll be going in for a follow up visit on Tuesday to work out the rest of my kinks. Smile

Callie, off to take a look at the monthly challenge to see where you're at with your painting. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:50 pm

I had a wonderful afternoon on a studio tour. I didn't find anything that inspired my next subject but I saw some great art and had an on-spot lesson from an artist.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 7:06 am

That sounds like fun Dale! It must have been great to get a lesson from the artist. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 4:17 pm

He told me that one of my problems stems from painting from the photos - as the camera...printout cannot show the light that exists sometimes so I end up with black holes. Artists have to be able to remember through observation what "should" be there and to put it back in.

Lots more but it had to do with colors on my palette and not over-using the same colour - always changing it a bit.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 5:21 pm

Dale, great advice. I do remember reading about the shadows in photographs being darker then they actually are. I guess that's a good reason to work from my own photos. Color variation is what I'm currently focusing on. I do remember being told that I overblend my colors on my palette and one way to bring variation into a painting is not to overblend.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:06 am

Janet, I'm working on a painting now where the shadows are challenging.

It involves a group of tourists carrying umbrellas. The photo is okay, but there is limited shadow detail in their clothing. So, pants, shoes and such, all kind of the same tone, but it seems as if they should be different colours.

Time to get imaginative, I guess, and render the clothing so it looks right but not distracting.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:19 am

I've seen your superb handling of shadows in your paintings so I'm sure you'll pull it off beautifully. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 10:25 am

I have to shar this with you it made me feel so peaceful when I read it. Comes from Robert Genn
I'm laptopping you from an ancient log cabin on Edith Lake near Jasper, Alberta. The southern view across our mountain-shrouded lake is dominated by Mt. Edith Cavell, one of the highest in the Canadian Rockies. Deer, caribou and an occasional black bear forage in open spots in the pine and aspen forests. This time of year and this far north the days are long. For the past week my daughter, Sara, and I have been paying scant attention to the outside world. In this wilderness, we have been granted extra time, extra silence, extra peace.

Paintings can happen at any time--before breakfast at the cabin door or in the evening a hundred yards along the lake's edge. This place is positively contemplative--one works to a measured muse.

A great deal of painting is noticing the occasional things that you do right. Time and contemplation allows this. Lucky happenstance can be expanded upon in the next painting or savoured in the present. In my case, early areas of casual impasto patiently await modification by glazing. "Take it easy," and "take your time" hang easily in the alpenglow and the cool mountain air.

It's not so much that the great ideas and motifs are at hand, which they are, but that present feelings are also here when you need them. Whispering treetops, a flashing hummingbird, a loon-ripple on the lake confirms the findings of many outdoor painters--plein air is an event.

With Zen-like indulgence, the practitioner calms out and lives within the easel. Strokes disclose themselves and give clues to the next disclosure. Self-study and self-evaluation contribute to the flow. Picking up and putting down aids in the process--recent, half-finished sketches dry by the fire or in the sunlight. I limit myself to several small sizes and pop them on and off. Stymied at times, it's best to leave some of them alone to simply solve their own problems. It's amazing what a little time can do.

Then there's crit time. In the evening we set our paintings by the fire. Hot chocolate aids in the assessment. Faults not seen on the easel are spotted now, and some items begin to look better than they did before. Always, always, there is sleep--as
Shakespeare wrote, "Sleep that knits up the ravell'd sleave of care." And always there is the knowledge we will begin again tomorrow. Perhaps tomorrow's paintings will be better.
http://clicks.robertgenn.com/mountain-retreat.php

Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 4:08 pm

Sounds like bliss... Thank you for sharing! Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 5:17 pm

Sun's out for a bit between thunder storms, so I'm have a quick read before the next round of lightening and hail blows through. The humidity is making the air feel thick - it's like trying to breath through a wet wash-cloth.
I'd love to be way up north, someplace with a chill in the air, snuggled up in front of a fire. Thanks for posting the R. Genn letter...wish I was there!

About painting from photos - don't be afraid to whip out your "artistic license" and put a little more color and depth into the shadow areas (photos can look kind of flat). And take care with the lightest areas, if they're "blown out" in the photo, don't just copy the photo; once again - fill in the colors (try to imagine what it would really look like). Don't forget about glazing to deepen shadow areas and soften harsh highlights (as needed).
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Thanks Callie,

I haven't tried any glazing with WMO yet so i will have to read about the technique.
Last night I took all sorts of photos of reflections in a lake but bracketed the photos 1 stop each way.

And I think my "artistic license" needs to be renewed before they take my paints away
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Chat - June 2010   General Chat - June 2010 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Chat - June 2010
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next