Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.

Go down 
+5
dbclemons
acadianartist
Callie
Janet
judyfilarecki
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. Empty
PostSubject: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 1:37 pm

hayday77 wrote:

I need to learn how to be less miserly with my paint and really goop it on (with intention). i have a book by Gruppe on Brushworkbut I am still too timid to really load my brush. Hint - I keep a pair of magnifying glasses next to my easel to work on details. Get my problem?

janet wrote:

I'm pretty miserly with paint as well. I've been reluctant to do swatches because I don't want to use up paint. I understand what your talking about with details. Two things that I've tried and found worked well when I'm getting too tight is force myself to look at the reference from far away and squint which will eliminate detail and you'll see things more in masses. Another thing is use the largest brushes possible.

callie wrote:

I think a lot of us start out a bit too miserly with the paint, and it shows - tiny blobs of paint on the palette=small brushes to dip into those little blobs=tight, thin brush strokes on the canvas. Get past the fear of wasting paint, and see if your paintings don't take on more life; you'll be able to concentrate on your subject, rather than saving paint! Doing some swatches will really help you to get to know your colors - hardly a waste of paint; more of an asset to refer back to whenever needed; especially when adding new brands and colors.

Adding to Janet's advice - if you work from a photo, you can blur it in an image editing program, then revert back to normal after you've massed in the basic shapes and colors.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 10:05 am

Callie, great advice! I'll be working on some swatches. Next time I order some more paint I'll just make sure to order several tubes of each color that I'm using. I've always made swatches in the past but with the Holbein being so difficult for me to find locally it leaves me not wanting to use paint liberally. I'll stop thinking that way as I think that it's counterproductive.

I'll test the W&N on their own after I can find some thinner to use with them. They would be easier to find. I'm also want to test just using the Lukas Berlin and see how they preform. Several things to test out for the current challenge.

One thing that I would probably work with the W&N is the walnut oil. So I can test that out.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 10:20 pm

It's really eye-opening to see how the same colors can vary between brands. If you make swatches, you won't have any surprises when mixing with new, untried colors. Better a few little swatches than some unusable (wasted) piles of paint because the color didn't come out as expected!

Good idea to buy a few tubes of each color. That way, there's no need to get stingy if you're close to the end of a tube.

Another thought - for anyone who usually starts out with little pea-sized dabs on the palette - Try painting with a palette knife. Having to squeeze out more paint after every other knife stroke will soon have you globbing that paint on the palette!

Callie
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 8:43 am

Callie, You're so rite regarding unusable piles. I sometimes end up with mountains of paint. I did purchase some containers that are meant for beads to try and store leftover paint in. I still would like to hit the color I want without ending up with big piles of paint so the swatches are the way to go. I did order 2 tubes of each color last time I ordered the Holbein from Dick Blick but if I decide to stick with the Holbein I'll up it to 5 tubes. Some colors I don't use that often so the next time I order it might be less for certain colors. I haven't tried a palette knife yet. I'm really uncoordinated but I see how it can help in breaking bad habits in stinginess with paint. It might help me with loosening up as well. I have a tendency of going to tight. Thank you for the great advice and tips! Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
acadianartist

Location Location : Just outside Fredericton, New Brunswick

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 8:25 pm

I hate to waste paint, and I hate having to squeeze out more paint even more. So much so that I'll try to make up a colour with impossible mixtures just because that's what I have left on my palette. Creative? NO! Just a great way to ruin a painting. Blue and red do not make green. Repeat to self... My biggest problem? Muddy colours. I get lazy and in a hurry. So my advice is to squeeze out that extra paint - more than you think you need, in fact! but cover up your palette with Press N Seal at the end of a session so it won't dry out for a few days. Saran wrap works too. Or buy small containers you can scoop the paint into for next painting session. Being miserly with paint only leads to frustration. You can save the paint, even mix a bunch of unused colours together for nice neutrals.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 8:48 pm

I've used saran wrap and press and Seal and both work well, but I also put my paints in the refrigerator if I'm not going to use them for a few days. It makes them last slightly longer.

judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 9:51 am

Chantal, great tips and I'll be trying the contrainers to put my paint in as I never know when my next session will be. Blue and red do not make green.... I've done that before too. lol! I don't lay out all my colors on my palette because I find if they're their I'll use them all. I just start with 2 tubes and from their only add 1 color at a time constantly trying to use what's already on my palette to acheive the color I want. I'm very familiar with mud. I still abuse white as well resulting in that chalky look. Thank you for your help! Smile

Judy, Do you know how long approximately that the refrigerator can extend the working time? Do you think they would last a week? Smile
Back to top Go down
dbclemons

Location Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 6:32 pm

Cold temperature is generally not recommended for any length of time for oils. It can cause the dried film to be weaker from what I've read. I don't know if the other things in the miscibles would make a difference for that, doubt it. For 2-3 days it shouldn't make much difference, however. The main precaution to slow the drying is to keep out as much air as possible. Cold shouldn't matter. It might be a good test to see if a palette left out but covered in the same way dries any faster than paint in the fridge.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 10:21 pm

I agree that the air tightness of the storage container for the palette is the most important consideration.

I'm here to say that I'm miserly with my paint and perfectly happy to stay that way. Wink
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 12:45 pm

I only keep the paint in the refrigerator for 2 day and rarely for three. I keep it covered tightly with saran wrap.

I've never noticed a problem. Of course,I don't do this on a regular basis: only if I have a good amount of clean paint on the palette and I know that I won't have time to paint again for a few days.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 8:26 pm

Good to know that, David -
I left my paints (Artisan) in the car for a few days in the winter (below freezing at night), and they were never the same afterwards. They got really hard to squeeze out of the tubes - I had to get a tube-wringer. So I've never wanted to try putting my palette in the freezer.
Back to top Go down
brushoff

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 12:57 am

I have a round airtight palette box I put in the freezer. I have never had any trouble with this method no matter how many days it is in there.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 1:10 am

brushoff wrote:
I have a round airtight palette box I put in the freezer. I have never had any trouble with this method no matter how many days it is in there.

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad that you have joined us.

I've never been brave enough to try the freezer, but I've always had good luck with the refrigerator. It definitely helps save paint and also saves the special colors I have mixed for the painting.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 8:40 am

brushoff, Thank you for that tip! Great solution for long term. I'm glad it works. Smile
Back to top Go down
kbaxterpackwood

kbaxterpackwood

Location Location : Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 2:48 am

My problem is not being able to find tubes of paint that are big enough, or rather I'd love it if W&N sold Artisans by the quart or gallon! I love slathering the paint onto the surface, holding back seems to be more of a problem for me than letting go. But... reading this thread helps me relate to my students and helping them to let go as cost is a big issue for them.

Kimberly
Back to top Go down
Donna Pierce-Clark

Donna Pierce-Clark

Location Location : Springfield, Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 2:46 pm

Hello everyone!

I was just discussing with Judy the "saving of paint" issue and she sent me to this group.

So, brushoff, are you saying that you have put water soluble oils in the freezer? What brand WSO do you use?

Donna
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 5:41 pm

Hi Donna! brushoff has not been to the forum for a while you can PM this member.

One thing I was able to find out is their are a lot of people who use WSOs and put them in the freezer. From Grumbacher "the paints contain no water and freezing them will not hurt them." That would apply to all WSOs. If you use a Masterson box don't put it in the freezer as it may crack. You can cover your palette with cling wrap and put it in the freezer. Smile
Back to top Go down
Donna Pierce-Clark

Donna Pierce-Clark

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 5:45 pm

Whew!
Thanks, Janet.

I sure appreciate that as I HAVE put my Masterson boxes in the freezer several times (when I used real oils) and so far, haven't had problems, BUT, sure don't want any in the future.

How about Rubber maid or Tupperware?
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 6:02 pm

I've been reading up on Rubber Maid and Tupperware and most seem to be listed as freezer safe; however, I did see some cautions regarding dropping the containers after pulling them out of the freezer and resulting in cracking. Smile
Back to top Go down
Donna Pierce-Clark

Donna Pierce-Clark

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 8:23 pm

lol
I think I'll talk to my tupperware lady
I'm not affraid
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 9:43 pm

Quote :
Cold temperature is generally not recommended for any length of time for oils
^^^From David's thread on the previous page. I have to agree with this. I left my painting bag in the car for around a week one winter. I had to buy a tube wringer to use the paints after that. They got really stiff, and never returned to normal (Artisans).

I use a Masterson palette. I keep a cotton ball in one of the cups. When I'm done painting, I put a few drops of clove oil on the cotton ball. The paint stays soft for a long time, more than a week.

Makes it easier to squeeze out big blobs of paint, "cause I know they'll still be usable for other painting sessions Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. Icon_sunny
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 8:29 am

Thank you Callie for sharing your experience with the paints and cold. So strange that some people do it and don't state they have a problem. I forgot about Davids' recommendation. I'll have to test it out some day. I did put my palette in the fridge before and had no problem but the info I was giving regarding the freezer was second hand. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 10:22 am

Even if the cold wasn't an issue, I'd still stick with the clove oil. I don't usually have the room in the fridge or freezer. A little clove oil makes it possible to leave the palette anywhere and still have soft, workable paint.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 12:23 pm

The most I've ever refrigerated my palette was for 3 days without a problem. I've never put them in the freezer.

On another topic about being miserly, I just recently bought some tube keys (maybe they are the tube wringers Callie talked about) There were some very expensive ones and then there were the miserly ones I bought for $4.50 for 25 of them They work well so far. They are made by Masterson.

Here's a picture for those of us who have never used them before.

Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. Tuekey10

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 6:21 pm

I've just got one big one that I use for all the tubes:

Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. PlatedSteelWringer

I think I might get a few of those individual tube wringers for a few select colors - thanks, Judy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.   Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That. Empty

Back to top Go down

Are you too Miserly with your paint? How to Change That.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next