Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas?

Go down 
+3
Janet
judyfilarecki
rosebud
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rosebud

rosebud

Location Location : Kansas

The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas?   The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 5:27 pm

What are the best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas for wso's? Will oil pastels work? What about watercolors or gouache? Or should I just paint in a sketch with a wso to begin with? I am eager to start, but wanted to get this down first!! The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? Icon_flower
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas?   The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 8:29 pm

Rosebud, I moved this to it's own topic under Water Soluble Oils so it would be more visible. We normally ask questions as a new topic under a forum rather than in the sticky explaining the forum. That's OK, though, we all had a learning curve. The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? Lol

In answer to your question I like to use soft pastels because they are water soluble and also wash or wipe off very easily if you are trying to change your sketch. There is a lot of discussion on this topic someplace else in the forums, but I'm not sure just where for now. If I find or anyone else knows where it is, we'll put the link in this topic for you to refer to.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas?   The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 8:35 pm

I've never tried oil pastels, gouache or watercolors. My favorite way to sketch the subject is with watercolor pencils or acrylics. I've tried hard pastels and charcoal these work fine I just find I have a tendency to smudge or erase my lines when I lean on my canvas which I shouldn't do anyway so I have to invest in a mall stick. Smile

In addition you might find this thread useful: https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/water-mixable-mix-up-f14/what-mediums-do-you-use-for-under-painting-and-doing-your-preliminary-sketch-t101.htm
Back to top Go down
rosebud

rosebud

PostSubject: Thanks Judy & Janet!   The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 12:31 pm

I have to admit, that after I posted my question yesterday, I thought I had put it in the wrong forum....but couldn't figure out how to undo it!! The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? Icon_rolleyes So, thanks, Judy, for moving me!! And thanks for your info on sketching in your painting layout. That helps!

Janet, thank you for your insights as well, and the link...I have just skimmed it and it looks like just what I needed to read, but must have missed! I have a lot of questions, but some will be answered~~and more will come up, no doubt~~as I paint in WSO's. I appreciate all your help!!!

Suzanne (aka, rosebud) The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? Icon_flower
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas?   The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 4:37 pm

I always start mine with acrylics and do an underpainting in about 4 tones of light to dark grey. It helps me solve a lot of composition problems easily.
Back to top Go down
rosebud

rosebud

PostSubject: strating with acrylics...   The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks, Dale...I imagine that would also help with getting the values correct...do you use them pretty well thinned down? The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas?   The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 6:41 pm

I do. If you look at my blog www.artbydale-cook.blogspot.com you can see how my paintings progress.
Back to top Go down
dbclemons

Location Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas?   The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? EmptySat May 01, 2010 10:09 am

Do not use oil pastels under an oil painting. They are made with mineral oil that will not dry. Watercolor would be okay; although, if your painting on canvas it can be awkward due to its texture and the amount of paint you might need. Acrylics would work better, but the oils themselves would be best.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas?   The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? EmptySun May 02, 2010 5:16 am

David - great to know that. thanks. I was considering trying the pastels
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas?   The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? EmptyTue May 04, 2010 6:34 am

I sketch my initial outlines using charcoal, having first gridded the surface to make sure my proportions are correct. Having charcoaled the work I now wipe it over with a soft cloth ending with a very faint outline which does not affect the painting.
I then paint the sketch fine line using an appropriate colour, usually blue.
Then follows the blocking in of the base coats.
I hope you don't mind me adding a bit of advice which I wish I had been given when I was starting out.
To impress on the mind the areas of dark and light on a subject a quick charcoal sketch using an eraser to create the lightest, mid, and darkest areas is a fantastic discipline and useful tool.
The outcome serves as a useful tool when painting the main work.
Best wishes
Jack
Back to top Go down
oCDs01-711

PostSubject: Re sketching    The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 1:10 am

Dale, I use pastel pencils. Usually violet or yellow ochre, but that's just personal preference. They handle like a pencil, wipe off easily, and blend with oils great.

Shirley
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas?   The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 8:29 am

I just reread my post and just wanted to say I don't use oil pastels not sure why I put oil pastels but they're hard pastel pencils. Like oCD I find that they blend with oils really well.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas?   The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 8:58 pm

I use the soft pastel pencils and use varying colors to identify different areas of the painting, especially hen doing multi-colored flowers. It just helps me keep more organized. An example can be seen at this challenge forum

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/t217-february-challenge

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas?   The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 6:57 am

I like your idea Judy of using different colors to identify different areas of the painting. Never thought of doing that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas?   The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas? Empty

Back to top Go down

The best ways to "sketch" a painting in on the canvas?
Page 1 of 1