Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Painting - Alkyd Oils

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

New Painting - Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 2:58 pm

I love, love, love the alkyd oil paints as they work much like regular oils but dry overnight in most cases. I tried the walnut oil alkyd medium with the wso's but really couldn't tell much difference in drying times.

I started this painting about 3 days ago and it's all dry except for the stuff I worked on today. I'll be able to varnish it in less than a week if I use Gamvar!

This is a Spicebush Swallowtail butterfly on a Swamp/Marsh Mallow from our yard. We've had tons of butterflies this year along with a lot of hummingbirds so I have several references for painting. I like this painting except for the background but don't know what to do with it. Backgrounds are the pits!

I may enter this into the Wildlife Society's exhibition this coming September so I'd appreciate any C&C you want to give me.

Painting in next post
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 3:01 pm

New Painting - Alkyd Oils Butter10

The green isn't so bright in real life and there's a bit of a glare from the wet paint.

Again, C&C very much appreciated!
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 4:23 pm

I love the butterfly and the flower! If the background (sorry) could be somehow different from the leaves of the plant, both would stand out more. That would make it a stronger painting. So, maybe if the background is lighter or darker , but not so much that the black butterfly is affected.... Or, just leave it alone, and it's done! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 5:49 am

Thanks, Alan, I'll take it into my graphics program and try different backgrounds. Wish I was more into landscape painting then backgrounds would be pretty much automatic!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 7:55 am

I like the whole thing. I think the background is perfect if you are trying for realism. Perhaps a touch of reflected red in the leaves would add to it. (I learned from you, so I'm more aware of it in other's paintings.) Your delicate brush work on the fine lines of the butterfly are amazing.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 1:36 pm

New Painting - Alkyd Oils Butter12

I did a quick glazing of the background and added more of the red into the leaves as Judy suggested and I like this version much better. Will still look at it for a few days until I'm sure I can live with it.

Thanks for all your help!

There's not any blue in the top right and I think it's just a glare of wettish paint.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 8:54 pm

Oh, darn, 'cause I like the blue! And now that it's there, you have to paint it, ha ha alan
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 3:17 pm

Love it!.. Love it!… Love it!… Smile I think you might be a secret Insect biologist… Smile
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 10:05 pm

Absolutely fantastic! You really ought to when something for a painting this beautiful
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptyWed Sep 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Thanks Faisal and Crystal! Definitely not a closet entomologist - my ex and my daughter are into the sciences and I'm the odd-one-out there - I just like pretty things!

Crystal, I think there's only a people's choice award in this current exhibition but some of the finest wildlife artists in the state are supposed to be showing in it. I very seriously doubt I win anything but do hope to sell something to replenish my art supply coffers! We hope to go see it before it ends and I'll try to take pics and let you know what it's like.

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptyWed Sep 23, 2015 4:28 pm

I hope the show goes well with you. You never know what people will respond to.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptyWed Sep 23, 2015 4:41 pm

I hope it goes well also, Judy. I have never done an exhibition like this before so it's all very new to me. I have no idea of what the other paintings look like or how much the other artists are asking for their work as I took my paintings and dropped them off so didn't get to see any other work.

It's also the first artist's group/society I've ever joined and that's scary in itself as I have to interact with these people again! Oh, us insecure artists!!!!!

Can't wait to go see the show but it's a 4 hour drive down there and I don't know when we'll get to go.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptyWed Sep 23, 2015 6:09 pm

I think you can be very proud of this painting. It is very well done and is not a usual, run of the mill, painting or subject. I hope you get a chance to go to the show. I'm sure you'll find many paintings better than yours and also many that are not as good as yours. Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptySat Sep 26, 2015 4:27 pm

Thanks, Judy. I'm not 100% pleased with it but I did make further changes which I hoped helped.

Ah, the Desiderata! Yes, there are always those which are more talented and those which are less. I'm old enough not to worry about it - I just do my best and keep striving for better.

We will go to the show, just not sure when. We just lost our little Maltese and our hearts just aren't into anything right now. I'll keep you posted when we go.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 3:25 pm

I'm so sorry about your Maltese. It's so hard to lose your dogs when you've had them in your life for a long time. Prayers for you and your husband.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptyWed Sep 30, 2015 5:40 am

Thanks so much, Crystal.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptyWed Sep 30, 2015 7:06 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss. It definitely makes it hard to be enthusiastic about anything else. You're in my prayers.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils EmptyThu Oct 01, 2015 10:25 am

Thank you, Judy - they become like family members as I'm sure you understand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Painting - Alkyd Oils   New Painting - Alkyd Oils Empty

Back to top Go down

New Painting - Alkyd Oils
Page 1 of 1