Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My First Landscape

Go down 
+2
JanG
gairlochan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gairlochan

Location Location : Moore Park Beach, Queensland, Australia

My First Landscape Empty
PostSubject: My First Landscape   My First Landscape EmptyWed May 06, 2015 2:51 pm

See next page
Back to top Go down
gairlochan

My First Landscape Empty
PostSubject: My First Landscape   My First Landscape EmptyWed May 06, 2015 3:44 pm

My First Landscape First_11

This is my first landscape and only my fourth oil painting so I feel a bit scared about putting it up here. I hadn't yet got the hang of (what am I talking about; I still haven't yet got the hang of) gradually hazing things out from the middle distance backwards, so there's a big jump from near to far which I must try to remedy when I have the courage. The photo altered the colouring as well ( I suppose they always do). Now that I come to look at it again, the mountains in the background are decidedly psychedelic, though they're probably beyond redemption; let them stand as colourful footprints of my baby steps in oil paints … or something.

I actually painted it from another painting, just as a learning exercise of course. My version is very overworked by comparison, because I didn't have the confidence to leave well enough alone. It's also a very bad copy, unrecognisable from the original, though I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing; maybe a bit of both. As the original painting was so extremely 'plein air' as to make identification of some landscape components well nigh impossible (perhaps rain was threatening?), I'm not sure whether the area in the foreground was actually meant to be water or not, but it has a more or less pleasing effect either way, I suppose.

I didn't have the confidence or ability to paint straight from a photo of a real landscape, let alone an actual real landscape, though my current project, which is a seascape from an online course at Will Kemp's Art School is from a real seascape photo. One day, when I'm both good enough and well enough, I plan to paint in plein air the beach we have across the road from us here, and which represents my personal ultimate challenge!
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

My First Landscape Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Landscape   My First Landscape EmptyWed May 06, 2015 4:10 pm

You may feel this is "baby steps" but it's actually quite good and if it's unrecognizable from the painting you took it from, that's very good too - now it's your own.

I have had NO success painting landscapes and would love it if I could paint something like this!
Back to top Go down
gairlochan

My First Landscape Empty
PostSubject: My First Landscape   My First Landscape EmptyWed May 06, 2015 4:35 pm

JanG wrote:
You may feel this is "baby steps" but it's actually quite good and if it's unrecognizable from the painting you took it from, that's very good too - now it's your own.

I have had NO success painting landscapes and would love it if I could paint something like this!

You don't know how good it is for me to hear you say that! I couldn't be objective about it at all, of course, and only had my husband's evaluation to go by. He really liked it, but then he's biassed.

I come from decades of only liking really precise, photographically realistic artwork, and also disliking landscapes and views utterly, to liking and wanting to paint/draw/look at rather loose, impressionistic landscapes all of a sudden, a complete change in taste for me, so I'm trying to find my balance. I don't know why my tastes changed so suddenly and dramatically, but I'm glad they did; this kind of thing is much more fun. A camera is a much better tool for the photorealistic style of art, I've come to feel.

Lachlan
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

My First Landscape Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Landscape   My First Landscape EmptyThu May 07, 2015 11:05 am

It's hard for any of us to be objective about our painting which is why I really like this forum. It's not one of those art groups where everyone "likes" everything everyone does because they're uncomfortable saying they don't like something.

I come here to get good advice and not just a pat on the head. I wouldn't be here if I couldn't be honest and receive honest critiques here.

I know where you're coming from with the liking of realistic work but wanting to paint looser and more impressionistic. I'm on that same journey but something within just keeps painting very realistically! Maybe we can encourage each other!
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

My First Landscape Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Landscape   My First Landscape EmptyThu May 07, 2015 1:11 pm

Congratulations gairlochan, We all have to start somewhere and this looks dang good for someone with very little experience. Keep at it, and you will reach your goal.

Faisal
Back to top Go down
gairlochan

My First Landscape Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Landscape   My First Landscape EmptyFri May 08, 2015 5:18 am

Thank you both,

I seem to be not the only one who is trying to loosen up and get a little more impressionistic, break free from old bounds, etc., from what I've been reading on this forum, so it seems I'm in good company!

Lachlan
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

My First Landscape Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Landscape   My First Landscape EmptySat May 09, 2015 6:59 pm

gairochan, I sure wish my 4th painting looked this good. Beautiful work. I like impressionist work a lot.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

My First Landscape Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Landscape   My First Landscape EmptySat May 09, 2015 7:45 pm

Quote :
Now that I come to look at it again, the mountains in the background are decidedly psychedelic

I love your psychedelic mountains. They add so much excitement to the painting.

The transitions you are making from only liking realistic photographic paintings to enjoying the freedom of more impressionistic painting, a phase many of us have gone through. My transition for the moment is trying to be more abstract in my paintings. I do a lot of paintings on the computer with Corel Painter and this has really given me a less threatening chance to experiment.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

My First Landscape Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Landscape   My First Landscape EmptySun May 10, 2015 11:25 am

Very nice work! I like the way you are handling brush strokes, I like paintings that are 'painterly', that is, look like paintings, not ultra smooth and seamless!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My First Landscape Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Landscape   My First Landscape Empty

Back to top Go down

My First Landscape
Page 1 of 1