A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Share | 

What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Janet

Location Location: North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?   Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:43 pm

I was just wondering which colors you normally have on you palette for painting in WSOs. I'll be back later to enter mine. I use to know them off hand but I've just recently revamped my whole palette and some of the names are not familiar. Smile

Callie

Location Location: St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?   Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:14 pm

Here's what I usually have on hand (mainly Artisan oils); I don't use all of these for every painting:

Must Have:
Brnt Umber, Raw Sienna, Naples Yellow, Payne's Grey, Olive Green, Sap Green,
Cad. Yellow (and Cad. Yel. med.), Cad. Red med., Aliz. Cr. (permanent), Ultra. Blue, Cobalt Blue and Titanium white

Nice to have:
Brnt Sienna, Yellow Ochre, Lemon Yellow, Viridien Green, Chromium Oxide Green, Perm. Rose, Diox. Violet, Cad. Red dark, Cerulean Blue, Zinc White
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?   Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:29 pm

Callie Thank you for sharing your palette!

I primarily choose my colors based on the split primary palette. I do add secondary colors for convenience and a few of the earch tones.

My palette is as follows:

Split Primary Palette
Imidazolone Yellow (Yellow that leans toward Orange)
Lemon Yellow (Yellow that leans toward Green)
Phthalo Blue (Blue that leans toward Green)
Ultramarine Blue (Blue that leans toward Violet)
Anthraquninone Red (Red that leans toward Violet)
Quinacridone Scarlet (Red that leans toward Orange)

Secondary Colors
Phthalo Green
Dioxazine Violet
Orange

Earth tones
Yellow Ochre
Burnt Umber
Burnt Sienna

Some of those new color names that I've added to my palette are a mouthful. Smile

Sofie

Location Location: Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?   Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:52 pm

I'm not a methodical painter with a correctly laid out palette: I just put out what I'll be using for a particular painting, and add something if I find I need it. Right now I've got:
phthalo green (blue shade).
dioxazine purple,
prussian blue,
yellow ochre,
naples yellow,
cadmium yellow light (hue),
cadmium red deep hue,
and titanium white.
I might add a bit of lemon yellow as well if I keep working on the golden rain tree.
Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?   Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Sofie, I tend to do the same thing; just put out what I need for what I'm working on, then add more colors as needed. I don't lay out the colors in the same order every time either.
Janet - are those Duo Aqua colors?
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?   Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:25 am

Sofie thank you for sharing your palette. Smile

Callie, oops I forgot to state the brand. Sorry about that. Yes they're all Holbein Duo Aqua. Smile

Callie

PostSubject: Re: What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?   Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:59 pm

Sofie, which brand/s are you using?

Out of the other (non-Artisans) brands I've tried, I like the Lukas Berlin Titanium White and their Warm Grey.
Back to top Go down
Sofie

Location Location: Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?   Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:09 pm

I'm using the Artisan, Callie. The only one that is not Artisan is the cadmium yellow light (hue) which is Lukas Berlin.
Back to top Go down
Callie

PostSubject: Re: What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?   Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:11 pm

Thanks, Sofie

Janet, good idea to "Sticky" those color charts! Nice to see what colors everyone is talking about.
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?   Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:46 am

Callie, I'm glad you like the charts. I don't like going to look for them when I need them so I figured I can't be the only one that feels this way. I'm going to be putting together some tests on glazing eventually but I needed to know which colors were transparent so I have a good starting point. The charts help a lot for finding out at a glance which colors will work. Smile

judyfilarecki

Location Location: Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?   Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:44 pm

I pretty much have all the colors that Callie mentioned from WN. I do only lay out the colors I use, but only as I need them. I usually only use 3 or 4 colors plus white in most of my paintings. Occasionally a 5th color comes in minimally when I can't get the color I want by mixing what I have.
judy

http://judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com/index.html *** www.filarecki.com
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?   Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:12 pm

I don't lay out my colors on my palette either. If I did I know I'd be tempted to use them all. I just choose 2 colors to start and only add colors as needed trying as much as possible to mix my colors with what is already on my palette. I find it a good way to get color harmony. Smile

Jim

Location Location: Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?   Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:08 am

Hi Janet;

On my web website at http://www.jmossmanart.com/ (under the Creating A Painting page) are listed the palettes of four teaching artists. These are traditional oils, not WSO. However, there are fairly close WSO matches to almost all of them. Their palettes are all very different and the interesting thing is that all four have painted in the same area under similar conditions and all produced works that are very representative of this area of Wyoming. So there is more than one way to get good results. There are far more differences between these traditional oil palettes than you would experience by choosing the closest matching WSO colors to any one of them.

Regards,
Jim
Back to top Go down
Janet

PostSubject: Re: What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?   Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:37 pm

Thank you Jim for the link! You're rite the colors in each of the palettes are standard colors and easily transferrable to Water Soluble Oils. I agree completely it's not necessarily the colors you use but how you use them that is more important. I browsed through your site you have fantastic information. Your paintings are beautiful!

Callie

PostSubject: Re: What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?   Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:53 pm

Jim - you have a very nice site, and lots of good info! Thanks for sharing the palettes with us, it's always interesting to see what colors other artists are using.
Back to top Go down

What Water Soluble Oils colors are on you palette?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next