Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

This year, I am...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 9:40 pm

This year, I am embarking on a creative journey that should be quite interesting. It is not painting, but I will continue to paint. I'm not trying to sound mysterious, but not quite ready to reveal the new creative project is.
How about you? What are you going to do this year....
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 12:09 am

Still going to paint and paint and paint some more… My luck at trying to sell my work did not work, although I must admit I did it half-heartedly. I just dipped my feet instead of taking the plunge. However, what I have gauged are 2 things. I need marketing and I need to up my game some more… well that is that.

I am curious what you are embarking on… Smile
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 9:40 am

Wow, Alan, you know you just fuel our curiosity when you only give a little blurb like that! When will you reveal this new project? It's exciting to start a new creative adventure and we can't wait to hear more!

I have not made any plans for the year as I'm kind of in limbo right now. I only sold 2 or 3 original paintings last year and know it's the lack of marketing. However, I don't want to do marketing - I just want to paint so will probably paint a little and consider myself a hobby painter from now on.

I'm in a local gallery and also one at our coast (4 hours away) and will probably withdraw from the one at the coast as it's very difficult to participate there. Otherwise, I'm retired and think I'll act like it! lol

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 12:38 am

Alan, you definitely have me curious.

My music will be keeping me very busy this year. The chorus I am in has regional competition in April and last year qualified for this year's international competition of Sweet Adelines, so we are busy practicing overtime. I had my first private voice lesson this past Friday fulfilling a wish I have had for a long time to get some voice training.

I haven't given up on my painting, and plan to do quite a bit using the new Wacom Cinteq that I got. I love being able to paint directly on the pressure-sensitive canvas palette now. I start another painting course in February focusing on combining physical paintings and digital paintings through different techniques. It should be interesting, and I'm anxious to start it.

I still continue to sell 1-2 prints a month on FineArtAmerica so that keeps financing my classes, painting and singing pursuits. I just wish I had a few more hours a day in my retired life.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments. Judy, I was looking at Wacom products, particularly the drawing tablets. I was amazed to see that there is now a ballpoint pen product offered by Wacom that records the pen strokes and will allow the artist to 'transfer' them to a tablet or hard drive. Wow, i would love to try that pen!
Back to top Go down
JanG

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 7:35 am

watermixableguy wrote:
Thanks everyone for your comments. Judy, I was looking at Wacom products, particularly the drawing tablets. I was amazed to see that there is now a ballpoint pen product offered by Wacom that records the pen strokes and will allow the artist to 'transfer' them to a tablet or hard drive. Wow, i would love to try that pen!

Go to a brick and mortar store that carries the tablets and see if they have one you can try. I love the tablets and I think Judy does too.

Oh, btw, I solved the problems with my tablet and am now happily using it! Part of it was me (the tablet shuts itself off to conserve the battery & it doesn't come back on by itself - I thought it was supposed to) & part is them & they're working on a driver update to fix it.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 3:45 pm

Jan, Glad you got the problem sort of corrected. Hope the update works.

Alan, that would be great if you could try it out like Jan suggested. I think you would really enjoy the freedom it would give to make corrections in your sketches without damage to the paper. Hope you get a chance.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 11:28 pm

Maybe I should look into the Wacom tablet. My biggest problem with painting is the time it takes to set everything up, get some painting done, and clean and put everything away, while still being available if someone needs something. I'll take a look. Great plans everyone.
Back to top Go down
JanG

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 7:09 am

Crystal, I think a tablet would be good for you. There can be a steep learning curve for any painting software but if you're experienced in graphics software in general, then it shouldn't be too hard to learn Painter or Art Rage or any of the others that are out there now.

You're right about it being quicker and easier to paint digitally and you can leave it then pick it up again with no problems (unless you forget to save your work!). It also doesn't take up any more space than your computer already does.

Let us know if you get one!
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 10:29 am

Hmmm!!!… I am wondering about dabbling in Digital now… Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 5:24 pm

Painter X3 from Corel has a 30 day free trial and they also have a very inexpensive version, Painter Lite, which is good for testing out, especially if you don't have a wacom tablet to draw on. You just use your mouse. If you do get into Painter, there is a great place for learning at very reasonable prices at http://www.digitalartacademy.com/ This is where I take all my online courses.

If you are using a regular tablet as opposed to your computer, Painter does not work on them, but there are other paint programs that are designed specifically for tablets.

Painting digitally is definitely more portable for plein aire and at home. No mess, no cleanup, just save and close you computer.

I'll see if I can put together some info for you and post in the "going digital section."
Back to top Go down
JanG

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 8:56 am

ftariqtx wrote:
Hmmm!!!… I am wondering about dabbling in Digital now… Smile

I think you would enjoy it. I got Painter Lite with my first tablet and it's good for learning the basics as Judy said. You don't need it, but painting digitally really helps with traditional media too. You get to "practice" painting before you actually put a real brush to canvas.

Let us know when you get a tablet!
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 5:22 pm

I work with guys who illustrate on a tablet. They use the stylus like a pen/pencil. They have become so adept with the system that they click through menus with the stylus now, instead of using the keyboard.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 9:21 pm

The 'big reveal' about my creative project this year is that my wife and I have created a comic book title, and have written the first issue. I have finished the pencil drawings, now I will 'ink' them, then colour the artwork in Photoshop before the issue is printed. We are going with a small laser printed run for the May 17th launch. The title is Brittle Hill.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Wonderful Alan,... Do send us a reminder then. I will buy a copy where ever it is available.

Thanks

Faisal
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 5:06 pm

It sounds like a f un project for the two of you. Keep us posted about it.
Back to top Go down
JanG

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 7:03 am

What great news! I'm excited for the both of you and please, please let us know when it comes out.

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 9:24 pm

Thanks for your comments. Without saying lots here (talking about comics on a painting site), I can tell you that I am planning an inexpensive digital version, and as time goes on, our weblink (brittlehill.com) will reveal more than just the logo  Rolling Eyes 
In the meantime, I am drawing for hours and hours every weekend, so it is definitely keeping me 'artistically inclined'
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 10:50 pm

I can hardly wait to see your new comic book. Great idea.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Well, the first issue is all pencilled, now to put the word balloons in, and then ink it. This is done with pen nib and brush, with India Ink. How old school!!
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 10:22 am

Cool… waiting to see the final product… Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

This year, I am... Empty
PostSubject: Re: This year, I am...   This year, I am... Empty

Back to top Go down

This year, I am...
Page 1 of 1